Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Modifying a drop bar end. Ideas/cost estimate?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Basically I rather like using the origin 8 drop bar ends on my Multi purpose Surly Ogre build but wish they flared out a little more. With most bars unless they’re straight with no backsweep the bar ends angle in slightly and would be so much more comfortable if they flared outwards somewhat from the clamp area . There’s a pic below of the offending item which,like most others is constructed of some sort of aluminium alloy. I presume that bending is pretty much out of the question so wondered if it would be relatively easy for a skilled welder to cut the clamp off then mitre the tube and reweld? If this is relatively easy ..any guestimates of the cost of such a job ? I’d be happy to post if there is anyone on here who could do the job without me needing to take out a loan! Any other ideas/advice would be welcomed.
    Thanks in advance

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking buying some drop bars would be miles cheaper easier and lighter despite me being a drops hater!

Surely some heat and gentle bending at home would be ok?

kaiser
    Free Member

I have tried all sorts of drop bars over the years and cannot get on with them .I ride 800mm bars and like a wide cockpit. Heat and bending is unlikely to be “OK” and from what I read it’s extremely easy to end up with a badly weakened structure. Others may disagree?

simondbarnes

I doubt anybody would do that for you.

Tried these?

https://www.curvecycling.com.au/products/walmer-bars?variant=30253818806349

ton

Bill, i fitted some of those bolt on drops onto a 700mm flat bars. they were the ideal width, but riding on the hoods position was horrible as the big knuckle bit where you clamp the, sat very badly on my hand.

i was gonna try and get hold of some of the curve bars in a 650 or 700mm width.

tillydog
    Free Member

…constructed of some sort of aluminium alloy…

It’s almost certainly made of a precipitation hardened alloy (e.g. 2XXX, 6XXX etc.)

The problem you have is that it will currently be in its hardened state to make it strong. It’s unlikely to be be ductile enough to bend without cracking in this state. Heating (either to bend or through welding) will destroy the hardening and leave the metal little stronger than a wet noodle (I kid you not…).

To restore the strength, it would need to be heat treated – typically a high temperature followed by a quench to get all the alloying elements back into solution, then a lower temperature, longer duration ageing treatment to develop the strength (actually to allow finely dispersed precipitates to form inside the metal). Not impossible to do at home for something of that size, but to be confident, one would need to be pretty sure of the actual alloy it’s made of (also important for selecting the correct weld filler).

At the end of the day, how much do you like your teeth? 😀

kaiser
    Free Member

Thanks for the info above
    Ton…I’ve used them before and had the same issue but sorted it by buying a low profile Allen headed bolt and grinding a few areas of the clamp area. I then make a silicon pad and tape it over ..all nice and comfy! Also I don’t tend to ride on the hoods …I just use the drops on long climbs and windy road stretches.The curve bar looks interesting !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weld? Er, naw.

paule
    Free Member

Can you still get Juliana bars, with a 19mm grip section? If so, you could make or get made some shims to fit inside the clamp and flare the ends out?

kaiser
    Free Member

Mmm..I see your idea. Tbh you’d limit bar choice and I like 800mm ..often with a decent rise. I’ve come to the conclusion that either I have some custom made or another way would perhaps to tape them over with a V shaped pad underneath on the outer side ..hence flaring out the grip somewhat and also adding to the comfort. These days it’s comfort over fashion for me …I think that comes with getting old!No longer do I race,jump,skid or wheelie ..it’s more bimbling around for fitness, fun and the surroundings. Probably would do the above listed stuff tbh (despite being 56) but have eyesight troubles which curtail such activities ..maybe that’s a good thing!

munrobiker
    Free Member

It sounds to me like you just need to get used to normal drops. The fact that no one else on the planet is using 800mm drop bars implies the problem is you, not the bars.

Given the cost of someone custom building you some, why not experiment with the Curve bars first? They’re already insanely wide, persevere with them for a few weeks and I suspect you’ll be fine.

The fact that those drop bar ends exist has upset me a bit 🤮

dudeofdoom

It sounds to me like you just need to get used to normal drops. The fact that no one else on the planet is using 800mm drop bars implies the problem is you, not the bars.

Yeah must admit I really don’t get the bolt on drop ends.

I think sizing for drops is around average shoulder width which is why your not seeing mainstream wide bars.

There’s a zillion versions of drop bar to have a play with at all price points seems hard work arsing about trying to do a Frankenstein job when the stock stuff is so good.

I think Brant did some interesting bars Midge or Mungo that may be worth a play but nowhere in the width of those curves.

I do like the look of those wide curve cycling bars and feel A stirring in my wallet 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

To be fair the bar ends are less upsetting than the fact those rediculous curve bars exist.

At least when you realise the bar ends are crap they can at least Remove them.

dudeofdoom

To be fair the bar ends are less upsetting than the fact those rediculous curve bars exist.

No more ridiculous than 800mm straights :-p

I Don’t think the ends give the benefit of real drops thou, your not getting the real drop bar experience/benefits.

oldnpastit

Could you get something made up to your design out of steel, rather than aluminium?

It will be heavier, but probably less than half a kilo.

TiRed

Get some soma sparrows in 740 mm.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Obvious surely? I am guessing that your flats curve back a tad. This means that you add ons point in.
    Just put you flats on backwards so that they point forward a bit. This will ensure that the add ons flare. :):):):) I just cannot see a problem. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Modifying a drop bar end. Ideas/cost estimate?’ is closed to new replies.