Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Modern steel XC bikes are a bit rubbish?
  • Toasty

I can’t help but be a bit miffed at modern steel, I appreciate it’s all come from European CEN changes, but we just seem leagues behind where we were 20+ years ago. It feels like we’ve fixed something that wasn’t broken.

I’d like something like a 20 year old Explosif, without ancient geometry and component requirements.

I only mention it as there seemed to be a mass of front page articles on modern steel at the moment. The Shands look nice I’ll admit, and they’re only 250g heavier than a 20 year old bike, with a £1200 price tag.

Bah.

molgrips
    Free Member

Meh.

25 years MTBing here. I recently did a ride with a college friend that we’d first done probably around that time on early 90s bikes. And we remarked upon how much better modern bikes are.

Seriously – those old bikes, they flexed. Ok, big deal. I don’t particulary like flex. I like my Salsa because it’s stiff when I smash the pedals and is still comfortable because it has 2.4″ tubless tyres at 20psi on 30mm rims.

Bike rides maybe were better back then, because I was 18, the sun was shining and I had nothing else that needed doing. But the bikes were worse 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

To be fair to Kona, the new Explosive isn’t a million miles away from that.

Toasty

And we remarked upon how much better modern bikes are.

How much of this is through bigger axles/steerers and things though?

Building steel bikes to be completely rock solid rigid seems to kill the point of it doesn’t it? Beyond that I don’t really see why you’d want a frame that was 50% heavier than aluminium, or double the weight of carbon, for carbon money.

eddie11
    Free Member

They flexed up until they broke. I’ll take today’s bikes please

Toasty

To be fair to Kona, the new Explosive isn’t a million miles away from that.

The new one is Reynolds 520, which is just bottom end cro-mo. With a big brace on the seatpost, big Minion tyres, Revelations. The old one was a 24lb XC bike.

mick_r

Get something made in tubes that suit your weight and fork length etc. Modern steel is heavy (ish) because it typically has to pass fatigue tests for a big heavy rider running long forks.

Or buy some tubes from Ceeway and crack on making your own. Having personally taken this option, I can assure you ready made for £1200 is the cheaper alternative if you only want one bike…… 🙂

Toasty

Yeah, always an option. A chap I ride with locally works at Reynolds, so has lots of thoughts on the issue 🙂

I just find it frustrating, the new Explosif is an ideal example. There used to be competitive XC hardtails made of steel, new regulations mean it’s not even an option. Companies very rarely bother with expensive Reynolds 753 type stuff any more.

I’m not specifically saying everything needs to be that ancient Explosif, everything got heavier, even things like Inbred’s which were hardly known for snapping. I just miss light compliant/flexy steel frames and don’t really understand why anyone would want one of the new style overweight/stiff ones.

I guess there’s always titanium, tragically it’s almost competitive price wise with a lot of the boutique steel now.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

**** me OP, your rose tinted glasses are massive.

Toasty

This it true, I should probably just buy an old retro bike and get it out of my system 😀 The Exposif was a crap example, if I’d been arsed I’d have found a nice frame from 10 years ago, going back a bit too much there.

copa
    Free Member

The bike I ride most is a 1998 Kona Lavadome.
    £99 with a few new bits added. Weighs about 23lbs.

keir
    Free Member

I used to ride a 21lb Kilauea. My 26lb inbred (rebas, 1×10) is much faster everywhere except road climbs….

thepodge
    Free Member

I love my big heavy steel Kona Honzo, love it more than my lighter Kona full suspension.

molgrips
    Free Member

Building steel bikes to be completely rock solid rigid seems to kill the point of it doesn’t it? Beyond that I don’t really see why you’d want a frame that was 50% heavier than aluminium, or double the weight of carbon, for carbon money.

No? What is the point of steel? I don’t buy into this ‘lively, springy’ waffle. Flexy wastes power. I had a flexible bike, so flexible it would change out of the big ring if I hammered on the pedals. A bike should be stiff as comfort allows. And with modern tyres, this is pretty stiff. Which is a win/win imo.

Those boutique £1200 frames aren’t that price because of any inherent characteristic, they are that price because they need to be because they are small outfits and cannot benefit from economies of scale.

My steel frame was £450. Dunno what it weighs tbh, 5.5 lbs probably. However, when I throw it into a loose corner it drifts beautifullly, perfectly balanced. On my Fire Mountain, front wheel washout was always the risk and you were just waiting for it to happen in any corner. So you’d move your weight forward which made it damn hard to do twisty windy stuff.

If you want light, strong and compliant, we now have carbon. Why would you want steel when we have carbon? Nostalgia, probably.

markrh
    Free Member

If you’re riding the same type of trails we were riding twenty years ago i’m sure a twenty year old design would be great but things have moved on for most of us…

copa
    Free Member

I used to ride a 21lb Kilauea. My 26lb inbred (rebas, 1×10) is much faster everywhere except road climbs….

My other bike is a Scandal, weighs about 24lb, and the Kona is much faster for me on pretty much everything apart from rocky downhill.

somafunk

If you want a light steel frame then i’ll sell you my 15.5″ Soulcraft Option 3 frame for £250?, no use to you if you are much over 5ft 7″ though.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re riding the same type of trails we were riding twenty years ago i’m sure a twenty year old design would be great

I am riding the same trails, and the modern bikes are still better.

keir
    Free Member

My other bike is a Scandal, weighs about 24lb, and the Kona is much faster for me on pretty much everything apart from rocky downhill.

I’ve had retros faster than the Kilauea, A Merlin XLM most notably. When I was absolutely on my game it was incredibly quick, but as soon as I stopped riding offroad every week it became a tricky sod. The Inbred is pick-up-and-go accessible for the every now and then that I ride offroad these days

Toasty

I am riding the same trails, and the modern bikes are still better.

Well indeed, which is why I said I’d like a modern geometry/componentry fitted xc steel bike that doesn’t weight or cost the earth.

Aluminium frames haven’t suddenly got a pound heavier in the last 10 years.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Isn’t the answer to that a Cotic Soul then?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why would you want steel when we have carbon? Nostalgia, probably.

longevity – a steel bike really does feel like it could be a bike for life, whereas I doubt you are going to see many old carbon frames around.

Just built up a 26 cove handjob for my nephew and it was really nice on the test ride – wider bars, shortish stem, high volume tyres, 100mm Sids, 1×11 SLX.

His mum has my old steel Voodoo Wanga.

markrh
    Free Member

Toasty, I think you’ve inadvertently hit the nail on the head there. True xc bikes now tend to be aluminium these days unless you want to spend big money.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not all modern steel frames are dead harsh. I borrowed the new Slackline from the Stanton boys last year for a few weeks and was surprised at how comfy the 853 tubeset was given the big head tube, dropper compatible seat tube and bolt through rear end. It felt a lot like the original Slackline which blew my BFe out of the water. I was a bit meh about steel frames until I had an original Slackline.

If I’m honest, that new Slackline was probably a bit comfier than my Ti Switchback (second generation).

Steel isn’t dead light and loses out compared to modern ali and carbon frames.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, it’s not that modern bikes are rubbish – it’s that they are 1lb heavier than they used to be. That about right?

molgrips
    Free Member

I doubt you are going to see many old carbon frames around.

I bet you are. It doesn’t fatigue or corrode. Why wouldn’t it last forever?

My road bike has had a hard life and is still going at ten years. Does that count as old?

Toasty

Yeah, the Soul was the only example I could think of that wasn’t built like a tank and used decent metal. It’s obviously possible and people seemed to love them.

I just wonder if most steel frames sell on niche/retro value alone and the cost of expensive tubing usually doesn’t pay for itself.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m with the OP here, slightly trailsy xc hardtail with a bit of zing would be lovely. Got a modern steel hardtail and it’s pretty dead in reality. Cracking bike but just lacks that tiny bit of spring which I’ve felt on 90s steel and even alu, on my nunu

Toasty

So, it’s not that modern bikes are rubbish – it’s that they are 1lb heavier than they used to be. That about right?

Im just saying I don’t see the point in the ones that are super stiff, super heavy and super expensive. Which seems to be the majority. People used to buy steel for the way it rode.

I know it’s a half marketing rubbish and there’s loads of compliant aluminium frames about. My Scandal was more comfy than my Swift to be honest.

qwerty
    Free Member

The new one is Reynolds 520, which is just bottom end cro-mo

…. Yea it is, so they also made a Ti one 😈

For the curious: https://www.wideopenmountainbike.com/2017/09/steel-real-demo-day-heads-forest-dean-october-29th

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think that misses a lot of the benefits of steel.

I regularly treat my bikes like crap (I shouldn’t say that, I’m in the process of selling one!), steel bikes really do tolerate being crashed, ridden hard, crashed, crashed, thrown over walls, dragged over trees, crashed, etc etc and just shrug it off.

I’ve an El-Mariachi (like Molgrips) and it’s definitely at the stiff end of the steel spectrum, but it still rides in a different way to an aluminum frame.

If you want something that rides like a mid-90’s bike (in a good way, not the ‘won’t go where you point it because it’s so flexy’) then you have to accept that a 29er will weigh more than a <4lb explosif. The Swift fit’s that description perfectly though, it rides like you think a steel bike should, but with enough confidence to pin it on singletrack.

RustyNissanPrairie

I have a few year old Kona Smoke – it’s a 29er v-braked steel commuter frame that im in the process of shaving the brake mounts off and TIGing a disc mount on to make it more useable.
    It’s a great frame in that old school steel XC style.

molgrips
    Free Member

Im just saying I don’t see the point in the ones that are super stiff, super heavy and super expensive. Which seems to be the majority.

The majority aren’t expensive.

I bought steel because it was more durable than alu and cheaper than carbon.

Toasty

Cheers for the link! I genuinely might pop along to this to have a look. Just having a moan really, I ride a Swift so I’m not totally against the idea. My old mk1 Scandal 29er was notably more comfy, a pound lighter and cheaper though if I’m honest.

On an old note:

I bet you are. It doesn’t fatigue or corrode. Why wouldn’t it last forever?

I’ve had 2 carbon mountain bikes, both broke from having a huge long seatpost with 200 pounds bouncing on the end (Ibis Mojo and Zaskar). I’ve had a couple of steel bikes and a good 20 or something aluminium frames, I’ve never broken one.

newrobdob
    Free Member

They flexed up until they broke. I’ll take today’s bikes please

I bought this new in 1994. Has been ridden for 23 years and still as good as new. This is a recent pic after I had it repainted and restored.

A good friend of mine has had 2 carbon frames fail when he dropped them on their sides onto the floor and they hit a piece of wood. 😯

I’ll stick with my Kilauea thanks. 😀

I don’t think anyone takes pride in the tubing sticker on their frames so much nowadays.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 carbon mountain bikes, both broke from having a huge long seatpost with 200 pounds bouncing on the end

Are you saying all carbon frames are weak? That’s simply not true. You may have bought badly designed or weak carbon frames, but there are also badly designed and weak steel and alu frames, that has nothing to do with the material. Ask on here who’s broken or cracked alu frames.

Carbon frames need not be weak. And the fact remains they don’t corrode or fatigue.

EDIT in fact wasn’t there a thread just the other day about corrosion protecting steel frames, and loads of people popped up saying they’d rusted their steel frames though?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And when it’s time to move on you know that a steel or alu frame can be recycled, whereas carbon…

kelvin

Disc brakes, dropper post, proper forks… I’m in no rush to lose them.

velocipede
    Free Member

Steel bends. Carbon fails. End of.

However, I choose to ride a custom steel road bike, and an old(ish) carbon MTB. Why?

Because I like riding them. In fact, I look forward to riding them. Which is the only thing that matters, is it not?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And when it’s time to move on you know that a steel or alu frame can be recycled, whereas carbon…

That’s of so little consequence in the grand total of cyclingd carbon footprint its not worth considering.

Throw it in an incinerator and it’ll power STW for a few minutes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Modern steel XC bikes are a bit rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.