Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • ‘Modded’ ’17 Fox 36 RC2 v’s stock ’20 Lyrik Ultimate
  • matt007
    Free Member

Hi,
    Just looking for opinions as I cant make up my mind.
    Have a ’17 fox 36 Float RC2 factory, which I’ve had for 2years. As standard apart from an MRP fulfil valve. Its OK, good when up to speed but not great small bump compliance (seems a common opinion), I want something better over chattery stuff and at lower speed.

So, I’m thinking of either –

– Add a push ACS kit (I’m heavy, so weight not an issue!)

or

– Sell the 36 and add cash to buy a discounted 2020 Lyrik ultimate

Don’t know if anyone has any relevant real life experience of the above, what’s likely to be better, the modded 36 or a new lyrik ultimate?

Another option, considerably cheaper, would be just to add a luftkappe to the 36. If that got me 90% of the performance benefit of the other options I’d probably go that route. If it is likely to be a minimal improvement I’d discount it.

Opinions from suspension guru’s out there?

vmgscot

I can’t comment on the Lyrik but the ACS really gave me the plushness I wanted on my 2016 36 RC2 (and that was after trying the MRP gubbins). I’m 90Kg + kit. It is a big chunk of money though to lay down on an ‘old’ fork but I have no desire to change it out now.

solamanda
    Free Member

The Grip 2 damper on the newer 36’s is amazing, I’d look at getting the upgrade cartridge fitted or look for discount forks. A new fork means the new air spring and new warranty. I picked up a set for £740 (29er). Winstanley have them for £850 (27.5).

matt007
    Free Member

I didn’t really consider a damper change, the price puts me off. It would soon get cheaper to just go with a new fork and sell the old ones, especially considering I’d get the fresh warranty like you mentioned.

vmgscot- was the ACS a big step up in plushness and sensitivity over your previous config? What MRP mods did you have fitted?

philstone

The other thing to bear in mind, is the suppleness can be improved with a larger negative air spacer.. I don’t think the ’17 was EVOL – so Luftkappe could make a big difference..

singlespeedstu

I’ve got the same fork that I was never happy with even after a lighter tune on the damper.
    Fitted a Smashpot coil conversion and its now a really nice fork.

I don’t think the ’17 was EVOL

Correct EVOL came in 18.
    Mine were upgraded to EVOl afer a creaky CSU warranty job but still no where near as nice as they are now with the Smashpot.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I’ve been on the lyrik ultimate since September and I’ve got to say it’s game changing. My last fork was a top end 2016 pike with a TF coil conversion in it. It was a good fork but the lyrik outclasses it in every way. I’ve always been a die hard coil fan but the lyrik ultimate is so much better over small bumps. I really suffer with hand pain on longer, rougher descents and it’s all but cured it. The lyrik has a better mid stroke and just never seems to get out of its depth. They’re bloody expensive but it’s without a doubt the best bike part I’ve ever bought.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’16 36 with an MRP FulFil valve and a TF custom Push tune (which made a massive difference) -it feels like a really good fork now. However, at the weekend I spent a bit of time on a mate’s ’20 Lyrik Ultimate, and even taking into account it was set up for a rider 5-10kg heavier than me, it was a quantum leap better.
    Get the Lyrik.
    (Disclaimer: I’m a scrawny bugger, so if you’re nearer the other end of the weight scale, you may see a different result)

vmgscot

vmgscot- was the ACS a big step up in plushness and sensitivity over your previous config? What MRP mods did you have fitted?

@matt007
    – yes the ACS was a big step up in plushness on my 2016 36. I tried the MRP fulfil modification. I never tried the luftcappe as I don’t think it fitted ’16 models at the time.

sprocker
    Free Member

I would be going for the lyrik, amazing fork, easy to setup and would be brand new so new warranty etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘‘Modded’ ’17 Fox 36 RC2 v’s stock ’20 Lyrik Ultimate’ is closed to new replies.