• This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Moab trip??
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I am currently toying with the idea of organising a trip to Moab with 2 or 3 friends. It’s somewhere I’ve wanted to go to for a long time so I’m going to try to make it happen.

Has anyone done it and if so, how did you organise it? I can’t find any companies that will do the full package from the UK so looking at booking flights and car hire, accommodation, and guided trips all separately.

Where is best to fly to? Las Vegas? Denver? Grand Junction? Moab?

Anywhere decent to stay? Not looking for really posh, just decent quality.

From what I’ve read online taking your own bike isn’t always the best idea as it can take a few days for it to arrive at your destination when using more than one airline. So Looking to hire bikes out there, is this the best way?

Probably only going to do guided tours for a few of the days, do some self guided stuff others and spend a few days just chilling out in a new place.

Any advice that anyone can give me is great.

vmgscot

Me and GF been a couple times… we flew into Denver (as direct flights from Scotland) and rented car.

Both times we went via other great riding spots – be that the Grand Valley (Grand Junction, Fruita, etc) or via another time was via Crested Butte. I’d go via Grand Junction/Fruita and ride there as well if you have time.

We never felt the need for guides as the trails are so well marked and easy access. Uplifts are plentiful for stuff like Whole Enchilada, Mag 7, etc

We did take bikes but we were over there for several weeks so hire was going to be expensive.But for a few days I would rent local.

vmgscot

oh… and stop toying with the idea and get it sorted…..

hodgynd
    Free Member

No ..but you have just described my perfect trip ..I also have hankered to do that for god knows how many years .. and with each passing year it looks less likely that I will..

Good luck ..and if it does come off for you please relive your experience on here..

mefty
    Free Member

Our planned itinerary was Denver with bikes, hire car, stay there overnight, Fruita for a couple of nights, Moab for 3 days, stop off in Fruita on way back and then back to airport.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can fly direct to Salt Lake from CDG or Schipol I think, easy drive from there it also gives you access to Park City/Deer valley as a warm up on the way which is great, there are some other ski resort based trails up there too.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/park-city/

Only managed 4 days in Moab a couple of years back, but had a lot of fun.

Local advice was skip slick rock or just do the intro loop – it’s the first not the best – followed by you won’t listen to that so get up there early before the sun gets round as there is bugger all shade

The Whole Enchilada was great and awesome, booked lift from one of the bike shops

Great day out though remember it’s hot, and a desert and hot!

Local shops can organise a lot of the shuttles in advance or day before.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Can’t answer your question but interested in the answers you get.  I’m planning a trip in September for about two and a half weeks.  I’m flying into Las Vegas, picking up an RV then touring around Blue Diamond, Bootleg Canyon, Sedona, Moab and maybe Fruita before returning to Vegas.

vmgscot

Remember to wave @Rubber_Buccaneer as you pass a couple of pastie-white bikers from Scotland.

We will be over in September as well but our loop is SanFran, Lake Tahoe, Jackson Hole, Park City, St George, Las Vegas, SF so we might see you on the trails around Las Vegas

rone

We fly into Las Vegas and drive from there.

Vegas has a great car hire setup. We paid about £628 quid return premiere economy from Manchester – Thomas Cook. Great budget flight.

Vegas is easy to drive in and out of and has some decent parks near by.

In Moab we stay at the Gonzo Inn, very central, pool and nice rooms with breakfast. Food we went to Zax watering hole and Milts.

I rode from Gonzo Inn to Slickrock and did the trail in July before 10am.

We have explored Dead Horse Point, Klondike Bluffs and Moab Brands – you’ll need a car for those although Moab Brands is bikeable.

All amazing. I’m going back a third time and we don’t baulk at driving as its fantastic out there. This time we’re off to Tahoe and Oregan.

Last year we went to Jackson and Yellowstone too. Both in and out of Vegas.

rone

It’s not cheap to eat and stay in Moab although not in the price league of Jackson. But i had the best time riding and saw only a few people.

We hired bikes from poison spyder and had nice ibis Ripley’s. The bikes are in great condition. Not mega expensive for that type of bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not cheap to eat and stay in Moab

Yeah I remember that!! The Au/US$ shifted before I went and I bought a tent even then it was near $30/night

gil_

This time we’re off to Tahoe and Oregan.

Oregon state is amazing, so much big woodsy riding, make sure you spend some time in Bend 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I’ve read online taking your own bike isn’t always the best idea as it can take a few days for it to arrive at your destination when using more than one airline.

This has only happened to me when I’ve arrived at the airport late or had a tight connection.

There are motels in the town, I’d just book one of those.  Pretty easy to do.  I’d not bother with an organised trip.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As for bikes not arriving I did Virgin/Delta Through LA and as they bumped me up the bags went missing, had them back within 24hrs and $60 compensation. Watch out that several US airlines charge for bikes (Delta is $150 even if it’s in your allowance) make sure your T&C’s says it is included/sporting goods are in the price and have the T&C’s with you will speed things up.

But given you should be able to do a direct flight from Europe to Denver/Vegas/SLC that shouldn’t be a problem

Rubber_Buccaneer

Remember to wave @Rubber_Buccaneer as you pass a couple of pastie-white bikers from Scotland.

Will do @vmgscot, just look out for three equally pastie-white blokes in an RV 🙂

Gilles

I flew from Bristol to SLC via Amsterdam. I took my bike with me as it was still cheaper than renting one for 7 days, and it was my bike. Drive from SLC was great, specially when you are jet lagged. Booking the bike using KLM was a bit funny as they said you need to pay on the day of departure at the airport. So i was afraid they will turn it away as no space available on the plane despite the fact i did book a space.

rone

Oregon state is amazing, so much big woodsy riding, make sure you spend some time in Bend

Awesome – booked for a few days there.

Any other tips?

rone

http://www.gonzoinn.com/

Not the cheapest but I like a few comforts when I’m away.

Great bike/access storage too. Breakfast too.

You must go to Milts

http://www.miltsstopandeat.com/

UTAH is open carry on guns, so we ended up sitting next families with cowboy dads in there. The guns should be technically ‘unloaded’ though. 🙂

Leku
    Free Member

Moab and Colorado | desert and high mountain singletrack | Mountain Biking Holidays

2 friends are in Utah with them right now. Lucky buggers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just can’t have one in the chamber that is it. Spurs and six shooters in Park city and make sure you carry your passport for beer Id. If they ask they (technically) ant unask. Though I got away with it when the barmaid and other security guy pointed out I was older than the lad asking (38 beard and balding)

swoosh
    Free Member

I like the look of those wildbike trips, reasonably priced too for 10 days. Flights from Manchester about £500-600 so the whole thing would be £2k for the lot.

AlasdairMc

I flew into Denver, drove up to South Dakota for some riding then drove across to Moab via Grand Junction /Fruita.

Fruita is worth a visit, especially all of the Kokopelli Trails. Bring a cooler, ride a few loops with breaks at the car.

In Moab, ride The Whole Enchilada, then ride it again. Slickrock is good too. There’s a lovely trail that follows the line of the main road – the Pipe Dream. When I rode it, the trail was deserted. I stayed in the Lazy Lizard hostel in a private room. The shared kitchen made things a bit cheaper if you were that way inclined, but I just ate at a few places in town. I’d go back in a shot, truly an excellent trip.

markgraylish
    Free Member

If riding Moab, make sure you add Hymasa/Amasa Back/Pothole Arch/full Captain Ahab loop to you list.

IMO the best combination of trails in Moab (and I’ve been to Moab numerous times) though funnily enough I’ve not managed to do the Whole Enchilada due to snow.

(I have, however, done everything from Warner Lake down, so only I’m only missing the very top section. Heresy, I know, but the Whole Enchilada is ruined by the terrible, never ending, dull, rough jeep track in the middle though there are some great sections of singletrack and Stella views everywhere)

If tempted to ride Fruita, go to Grand Junction instead (about another 30 mins past Fruita) and ride “The Ribbon” trail and the network of trails below that.

markgraylish
    Free Member

OP: you haven’t said when you were thinking of going. Do NOT head to Moab in summer. It’s far far far too hot and there’s no where to get water without going back into town and the vast majority of trails are in open desert so there’s next to no shade.

And summer means mid May through to early September, which means the window of opportunity to ride the Whole Enchilada is pretty narrow as snow can arrive mid to late September. This also means that the Whole Enchilada can be VERY busy

(I’ve seen 5 or 6 shuttle buses dropping 10-15 riders each at the same time and then immediately head back into town to pick up the next load(s))

hummerlicious
    Free Member

You’re right there Mark Graylish, I passed through in mid july on my way to phoenix airport after I finished my divide trip. We rode the slickrock at five in the morning and it was still too hot! Spent the rest of the day in the swimming pool and anywhere that had air conditioning! Looking forward to returning with Rubber_Buccaneer in September, hopefully it’ll be a little cooler…..

rone

It’s far far far too hot and there’s no where to get water without going back into town and the vast majority of trails are in open desert so there’s next to no shade.

Had to do it twice in summer. Not ideal. But ride before 10 and after 6.

Last year it was slightly down on temps at around mid 30s, but that’s still pretty hard work.

Vegas was much worse; Cotton wood at 7am was nearly 40. But we carried on until about 930an.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Moab trip??’ is closed to new replies.