Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mixing brakes question – will it kill me?
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

I have an old steel Kona Cindercone frame and some nice late forks, I am going to build up a bulletproof Bikepacker from the parts bin, all seems in order except for the brakes.

The frame is v-brake only but the forks are disc, if I use the discs up front and the v-brakes on the back will I die?

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Only if you use a non disc wheel on the front and disc only wheel at the rear. 🙄

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Wow! never thought of that, thanks. 😯
    Was more interested in the physics of braking, cars have mixed disc/drum and the effect is understood, is this similar on a bike?

alexpalacefan

You’ll be fine. Front brake for stopping really.

APF

tmb467
    Free Member

A V-brake on the rim is just another disc really…with a bigger rotor and a smaller pad/caliper

It’s not a drum and therefore the physics would be similar to the front brake

I ran a magura HS33 on the back with a deore disc on the front and it was great for commuting. Never got the chance to run it off-road tho cos someone stripped the frame before I got the chance

breadcrumb

It’ll be fine, I ran a BB7 up front and DX V’s on he back of my old Trailstar.

nigelb001
    Free Member

My singlespeed has got v-brakes on front and caliper on rear. I haven’t died yet so you are even less likely to die with discs on front.

Just do it!

ste_t
    Free Member

Isn’t the effect just like having a smaller rotor on the back, thus meaning it will be fine?

miketually
    Free Member

I used to run a V on the front and canti on the rear of my old Kona.

My Solitude used to be disk-front and V-rear, but is now disk-front and fixed-rear.

I ain’t dead.

tomhoward

We all used to do it BITD! Was 2006 before I had a bike with F&R discs!

I rememember when all this were fields…..

nigelb001
    Free Member

Isn’t the effect just like having a smaller rotor on the back, thus meaning it will be fine?

Or 4-pot on front, 2 pot on rear – which I do as well on another bike

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, confirmed my thoughts but thought it better to check – clearly will need an appropriate rim for the back but that’s another step closer to a bikepacking trip. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mixing brakes question – will it kill me?’ is closed to new replies.