Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advocates – recognised by Government departments?
  • cinnamon_girl

Sorry for the random question but trying to find some practical help for someone who is in a very bad way.

Person in question is housebound due to chronic illness and is not getting the help she needs. She’s alone and desperately needs medical help as well as negotiating the maze of benefits entitlement, someone to fight her corner as it were.

Is there any volunteers/charities that exist to assist such people and are ‘recognised’ by the various Government departments?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

scotroutes

Might depend on the illness – e.g. if it’s MS, try the MS Society.

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey, you could try Pohwer http://www.pohwer.net/ or advocacy alliance

Markie
    Free Member

From personal experience, write to her MP.

Make the letter detailed regarding her situation and include clear action points linked to names she already has within the NHS, the council and social services ie “she is trying to resolve her work related benefits situation with the help of x from y job center”.

Give contact details for all involved.

I hope she can work things out.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the helpful replies. She’s suicidal and I’m trying to find practical solutions rather than proferring platitudes. Unfortunately she’s in a different part of the country otherwise I would visit and try to help.

Writing to her MP is a good call but time is of the essence.

Thanks again.

T1000
    Free Member

CG which county?

cinnamon_girl

I think she’s in the Midlands area. Came across independent advocacy so have passed that on.

project
    Free Member

most councils have independant welfare benefits departments,also CAB,

winstonsmith

What project said. There’s usually at least some welfare rights service wherever you are.

cinnamon_girl

It’s not just benefits, it’s getting her health sorted out as the NHS isn’t doing anything.

I think it’s easy to forget that chronic illness can leave one feeling isolated and lacking the confidence to take people to task. Also, brain fog can be a side effect.

csb

I think not unless the ‘advocate’ has Power of Attorney. Or if there is a need the Court of Protection can grant similar power.

Greybeard
    Free Member

CG, if writing to her MP, there are rules MPs have to follow. I wrote to my MP recently, and the acknowledgement said:

There is a strict parliamentary convention which means that MPs can only act on behalf of their own constituents. In addition, MPs are unable to act on someone’s behalf if contacted by a third party. If you have contacted me on behalf of someone else please ask them to contact me directly or provide evidence that they have given you permission to act for them.

This seems different to Markie‘s experience; maybe Markie can say how it worked?

Good luck.

Markie
    Free Member

maybe Markie can say how it worked?

Sorry, missed this.

In the case I know of, the letter was written for and in the name of the person concerned (the patient, for want of a better term), but by someone else. The patient was not capable of writing such a letter themselves. The letter noted this, and requested that the writer be allowed (not that they had ever been refused, in fact) to attend all meetings and appointments with the patient.

Writing to her MP is a good call but time is of the essence.

If you write to her MP via http://www.writetothem.com/ then they will have it in minutes. That doesn’t mean an instant response, of course, but it does put that iron in the fire – and you can tell people that you have written to her MP and will be feeding back details from whatever meetings / conversation you are then having.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advocates – recognised by Government departments?’ is closed to new replies.