Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Miranda
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

If she was funny then I’d find it easier to find her funny. As it is the spat between DD and the nichewhore is waaay funnier 🙂

manciman
    Free Member

My GF has a hissy fit every time MH’s on TV because she play’s the fool to gain cheep laughs instead of using her brains. Doing women an injustice and all. (What do you know I do Listen to the GF, that’s got to be worth some currency)

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Is tazzy feeling sensitive, do you want a hug…

you want to have sex with her in an air raid shelter?

touché good sir, you know me too well

Mmm Sarah Silverman and Lucy Porter, now we are talking…

Room for three in the air raid shelter

tazzymtb

Is tazzy feeling sensitive, do you want a hug…

nah….nothing that a long drop and short rope can’t fix mate.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

How about a large drop?

Currently enjoying an Asbach at present, rather pleasant it is to

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Why do women in comedy evoke such hatred in men?

Seems like too many are still stuck with the mindset that “women just aren’t (meant to be) funny!”

People in comedy are meant to be funny. Miranda Hart isn’t.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

People in comedy are meant to be funny. Miranda Hart isn’t.

She is funny.

That’s not opinion, that’s fact.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

At the end of the day, like most art or come to think of it most anything it is all subjective, and what one person likes another may not, doesn’t actually mean that anyone is right or wrong just that we all have a different view of things

That said it is a shame that my licence fee is wasted on this bilge

D0NK

Dunno, I think you can recalibrate your sense of humour sometimes, there’s quite a few things mrs watches that I started off ignoring but now watch with her, for eg.
    Miranda, didnt like, now do
    Mrs browns boys, didnt like can just about sit through now
    Inbetweeners cringe worthy at first now like – mostly.

Other stuff im just incompatible with, the office (and most Gervais stuff TBH) will never be able to watch. Different strokes and all that, would be a crap world if we all liked the same stuff.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Spot on, Ron and Donk.

Tastes change as we get older. We also allow ourselves to enjoy the uncool.
    I can clearly see how my young self would cringe at me enjoying something as mainstream as Miranda.

hels
    Free Member

I quite like Miranda Hart, or what I have seen on QI and the like, being a right intellectual snob eh darcy ?

But that Miranda show is godawfully unfunny, contrived, not clever, not witty, not original etc. I cringe. Almost as bad as Mrs Brown’s Boys.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

being a right intellectual snob eh darcy ?

Quite the opposite hels. Try re-reading.

1981miked
    Free Member

She isn’t funny
    She isn’t entertaining
    Her voice goes right through me
    She is a gonk

FACT!

Drac

Different strokes and all that,

What you talking about?

RustySpanner

I think she’s brilliant.

A genuinely funny indiviual.
    The show is very well written, she’s a great natural clown and a bit of feelgood comedy never goes amiss.

Said it before but the episode with her, Patricia Hodge & the psychiatrist is excellent.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell us that they don’t like her because they’re taste is much more sophisticated.
    God, I nearly prolapsed when someone came out with that one a few weeks ago. 😀

Like all art forms, there is no intrinsically good or bad comedy, just the stuff you like and the stuff you don’t.

Attempting to define yourself by your dismissive attitude toward what others find funny makes you look like just as much of a prick as those who do the same regarding others tastes in music or choices of bike.

Personally, I’m really don’t like Jummy Carr, Frankie Boyle, My Family, Harry Hill, Jason Manford or Michael McIntyre.
    Doesn’t mean I’m any better or worse than anyone who does.

The sneery, snobbish cabal of rampant twattery on here is really beginning to get right on my wick.

No offence.

teethgrinder

Load of toss.

But them the Gas Man episode of Bottom is the pinnacle of comedy for me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rusty,

nealglover
    Free Member

the Gas Man episode of Bottom…..

Brilliant.

And the Milkman episode of Filthy Rich and Catflap.

I’m not sophisticated at all 🙂

TheFlyingOx

She is funny.
    That’s not opinion, that’s fact.

Yeah, as in “this milk tastes funny”

And for those assuming misogyny amongst the more discerning comedy lovers on here, I refer you to Exhibit A: Miranda is utter utter pish, woman or not; and Exhibit B: Smack The Pony. *THAT* is good comedy, and appears to be written and acted by women.

timraven

But yes, it’s a lowbrow for stw I’d say.

🙄

Comedy, like many things is subjective, personally I love Miranda & Mrs Brown’s boys, can’t stand the Inbetweeners or the Office, there you go s*** happens, get over it.

Oh & Rusty +1 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But yes, it’s a lowbrow for stw I’d say.

Then the 🙄

I was pre-empting all the stuff which Rusty so eloquently put into words. Just in case anyone else is in a hurry to misunderstand.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I got ya first time, DD.

And Rusty:
    Perfectly put.

CountZero

Love it.
    Not usually my thing but really enjoy the lightness of touch and joyful scripting.

Maybe too many women being funny for some men to allow themselves to enjoy it?
    Bollocks

FeeFoo – Member
    Why do women in comedy evoke such hatred in men?

Seems like too many are still stuck with the mindset that “women just aren’t (meant to be) funny!”

This ^^

She is funny.

That’s notThis is my opinion, that’snot a fact.
    FeeFoo, get over yourself, you are just some bloke on a forum, not an arbiter of taste or fashion. 🙄
    Now this lady is funny:

And these two:

Now that’s an indisputable fact, not my opinion.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Bollocks

Inspired.

This ^^

Interesting.

That’s notThis is my opinion, that’snot a fact.

Whoosh!

Thanks for all the effort, Count.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now this lady is funny:

Bollocks (with added iron)

CHB

Miranda, funny simple slapstick comedy.
    Big fans of it in our house.

The one I never liked as a comedy was “The Thick of It”.
    Always struck me as low brow humour with a high brow wrapping.

On the flipside, absolutely love the old Yes Minister.

However Victoria Coren… Now there is a funny woman.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Doesn’t mean I’m any better or worse than anyone who does.

The sneery, snobbish cabal of rampant twattery on here is really beginning to get right on my wick.

Well said. There’s some right stuck up people on this thread.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Victoria Coren is very good. Proof that you needn’t resort to twatting about the place shrieking in order to get a laugh. That said, Bottom is great 🙂

Alway felt that the Thick of It was brilliant for its script alone. Abusive and sweary but very creatively done and unlike anything which has been done before. Which is where Miranda falls down IMHO. utterly predictable.

khani
    Free Member

+1 it seems to be getting worse lately.
    as Ernie said, arguing over a comedy show is quite ironic.. 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Never got Miranda, just seems too much like an updated version of Some Mother’s Do ‘ave ’em.

DezB
    Free Member

Strange, I think the Miranda sit-com is quite average, brings a smile occasionally. Why she should divide opinions so much is baffling. Maybe it is actually great.

richmtb

Generally if you are the sort of good natured person who enjoys a laugh you’ll find most comedies funny.

I like Miranda, its not the greatest comedy ever made but its still pretty funny. Ditto Mrs Browns Boys and Michael Mcintyre. I know they aren’t as good as say The IT Crowd, The Thick of It or Stewart Lee.

As I’m not a boring middle aged curmudgeon I can find all of these things funny without sneering at them through some misplaced intellectual superiority.

RustySpanner

fizzicist – Member

Victoria Coren is very good. Proof that you needn’t resort to twatting about the place shrieking in order to get a laugh. That said, Bottom is great

Err…………… 😀

Alway felt that the Thick of It was brilliant for its script alone. Abusive and sweary but very creatively done and unlike anything which has been done before. Which is where Miranda falls down IMHO. utterly predictable.

I love The Thick Of It, but it cannot, in any way, shape, or form be described as original. It’s Yes Minister meets Derek & Clive.
    🙂

As with music, I’d argue that in comedy it’s the genre that is unimportant – it’s the quality that matters.

Those who define themself by genre are both missing out and missing the point.
    Bit sad really.

konabunny
    Free Member

Generally if you are the sort of good natured person who enjoys a laugh you’ll find most comedies funny.

This is how insipid sitcoms get made.

Basil

It made me laugh a lot.
    Have not really considered the implications for my perceived character.

Coyote
    Free Member

Never seen her show before last night. Must admit I found it rather funny.

brakes
    Free Member

Attempting to define yourself by your dismissive attitude toward what others find funny makes you look like just as much of a prick

have a read back of the thread and see if anyone actually does this. I can’t see it anywhere really.

The first series of Miranda was funny, the rest are just the same old joke repeated, then a bit more extreme. But that seems to be the formula of TV these days, and not just comedy. Flog a horse til it’s ready for the knackers yard, then flog it some more.

bol

I really enjoyed the first two series of Miranda. Old fashioned studio audience sitcom, but very well written and performed in my opinion. Particularly the psychiatrist episode, which I think will be regarded as an absolute classic at some point. The latest series has had some lame episodes where they seem to have filled out a lack of plot with running joke re-hashes.

Comedy, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

hels
    Free Member

Did somebody say there is no such thing as bad art ?

Reminds me of a Yoko Ono exhibition I attended (that means “went to” darcy).

She had set up a Wishing Tree, where you could write wishes on pieces of paper and hang them on the tree. Somebody wrote “I wish you were a better artist”. Now that’s funny.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Miranda’ is closed to new replies.