• This topic has 39 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by thols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Mini massage devices
  • akira

Struggling to think of birthday gift for wife, she normally does triathlons so obviously does fair amount of training. Our neighbour previously was a sports massage person but since we’ve moved that’s a bit less convenient.
    Anyone got one of the £150 odd handheld massagers, obviously not as good as proper sports massage but I figure good for getting rod of niggles.

tomhoward

😂😂😂😂😂

‘Massage’

jimdubleyou

good for getting rod of niggles.

Interesting euphemism. 🤣

bjhedley

Hantehon massage gun off of amazon. Basically a raygun rip off and only 50quid

Be prepped for ‘interesting’ amazon suggestions for the following month however…

akira

I was expecting a 50/50 useful suggestion/giggling balance. Wiggle seem to do a theragun and flow mini for a decent price. Not searched Amazon yet…..🧐

DrP

I’ve got one of the ones from Argos – was something like £120… it’s good, and nice after a strong workout or for bashing out knots..

I would have ordered one online, but was almost crying in pain and was desparate (shoulder issues after my crash/broken wrist) so paid out for argos in desparation.

I’m sure the £50 ones are jsut as good!

DrP

lunge

I’m told by my female friends that a Hitachi is an excellent back massager, very good for relieving stress I’m led to believe…

birky
    Free Member

ready

Last week I ordered a Physion Pro for £80 (should have been £350……apparently) Looking forward to the test night

Quick tip: order one online, keep it in the trolley for a few hours – low and behold you should soon receive an email offering a further 20% off!

thols2

Thread is taking the expected trajectory.

tb927
    Free Member

I got one as a present (A-Box it was called, or something) and it’s kinda funny, tho it vibrates like mad you can’t really dig into knots with it. So I end up using a dog ball from Pets at Home instead, which is brilliant. So to conclude, nice blue dog ball, £3.99, present sorted!

natrix
    Free Member

I got one a wahl deep tissue massage gun, less than £40 and I was really impressed. Work a treat on my thigh and Mrs Natrix’s neck. It has a mains lead though rather than battery.

akira

Flashheart, before i trawl through the thread only to discover you meant something from Lovehoney, is there a specific shop you’re indicating.

rOcKeTdOg

Hitachi do a great one, must be good I’ve seen it in use in lots of films of all genres.

MoreCashThanDash

I was expecting Mark to highlight the Lovehoney link – are they still the biggest supporter of the forum?

bigginge

MsGinge got one of these for Christmas, it has gone down very well for use on knackered legs after running but I’m not sure sure you’d want to risk massaging anything too sensitive with it. Assuming it doens’t explode or catch fire any time soon, I can’t see why you would need to spend any more on one of the branded ones.

Northwind

I got a cheapie a while back, it works great tbh. It’s not subtle, the lowest setting still isn’t especially low, and it’s a bit annoying that you can only cycle one way through the settings rather than go up and down one, that’d be much more useful. Like a chinese bike light. But it works, and it was cheap enough to experiment with. Very happy

finbar
    Free Member

Not being snide – do these do the same thing as a foam roller but lazier?

djflexure

Got a Renpho from Amazon with loads of heads and its brilliant

Can imagine spending more would be any better – comes with case, soft & hard heads. Works great on sore muscles

johnjn2000

Matt gives an unbiased view here on one brand https://youtu.be/49lNdF9Kmz8MTB Fitness Massage Gun Review

tabletop2
    Free Member

Jig-saw with a ball on the end?

p7eaven
    Free Member

rod of niggles

you meant ‘giggles’, right?

Mrs P (former triathlete) recommends that Renpho. ‘Very much so’. Joking aside, she has serious disability and a mountain of referred pain and musculo-skeletal problems so take it as read that the recommendation is qualified. Also would recommend customer service as her first unit developed a fault. They couldn’t have been more helpful.

ready

That Physion is the one I have ordered, glad he said it was good. Not too keen on the comments saying it’s a scam though! Bugger…

Northwind

finbar
    Free Member

Not being snide – do these do the same thing as a foam roller but lazier?

Not really imo. I mean, yes you can do some of the same things with both but the massage guns are way better for local stuff and can work in places that foam rollers are pretty limited. While rollers are better for some other locations. They’re pretty complementary. I’d say that for me the gun mostly replaced using a hand roller/ball rather than a roller.

But if I could only have one it’d be the gun. I use it more, especially because it’s better and more convenient for calf muscles (though I’d miss the roller for ITBs and thighs) And it’s miles better if you’re cramping or really sore- rollering can be a bit of a task in itself and I’m sure I’m not the only person to have set off cramps while trying to improve things, just because of the shapes you sometimes have to throw to get a roller to work. But just grabbing the gun and attacking a sore or cramping spot is awesome. More so than a ball or hand roller because you can keep relaxed while doing it- again with the “setting off cramps”.

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind. Hmm – on the one hand I’m curious, but on the other hand the only places I ever get any meaningful DOMs is my calves and quads, and I can hit those fine with my foam roller (although I actually use an ancient and knackered Triggerpoint quadballer that has no give whatsoever).

iolo
    Free Member

try this
    sorted

akira

I’ll, would that work on a hammer drill?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

We (open water racing wife and I) use a Thumper Sport https://www.physique.co.uk/Massage/Thumper-Massagers/Thumper-Sport?

Works well and is easy to use on yourself on your back.

danposs86

Skip to 2m 34s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

reluctantjumper

Damn, beaten to the Berm Peak video and the Forest Friends link! Serves me right for having a lie-in.

ready

So it arrived this morning, less than 2 weeks after ordering. Looking forward to giving it a whirl later, after a full weekend of riding.

walowiz

Looking at getting one of these asap.

@ready
    how did you get on with the physion ?

Anyone got one of the super expensive models by theragun ?

sam_underhill

I have one of those physion guns (well, it was badged hoposo, but it’s identical). It’s been great. Much better for me than a foam roller, way less faff. Even just getting you calves after a hike it’s brilliant. I can’t imagine what spending 3 or 4 times as much would bring to the table. Probably smaller and less likely to explode when charging.

walowiz

@sam_underhill

I have one of those physion guns (well, it was badged hoposo, but it’s identical). It’s been great. Much better for me than a foam roller, way less faff. Even just getting you calves after a hike it’s brilliant. I can’t imagine what spending 3 or 4 times as much would bring to the table. Probably smaller and less likely to explode when charging.

Thanks, I definitely prefer it when my leccy goods don’t explode, last time that happened was with one of those super bright (but quite reasonably priced) Chinese mtb lights, which didn’t explode, but melted quite dramatically.

ready

No problems at all with the Physion, can recommend.
    1 of the attachments feels a bit loose, but it’s not a problem when you’re pressing it against yourself. Son #2 laughed when I 1st got it, but now uses it more than me after his football/training!

oceanskipper

Looking forward to giving it a whirl later, after a full weekend of riding.

Indeed…😉

lardman
    Free Member

We’ve got a ‘Theragun’ which was recommended as a durable a very effective device. It’s great after a long ride, or downhill day, where I’m feeling more battered.

thols2

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.