Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Migrating iPhoto + Aperture to ???
  • krixmeister

Now that I’ve upgraded to Catalina and iPhoto and Aperture are fully borked, it’s become more critical to find a solution to this…

I have 15+ years of photos on one drive – about half in one iPhoto library, the other half-ish in an Aperture library. All with various edits. Many of the Aperture original photos are in various camera RAW file formats.

What is the STW hive-mind recommendation for migrating them all to a single, hopefully future-proof platform? Even Adobe probably OK if that’s the best – I’m sure they’ll sort out the recent Catalina problems.

Ideally I’d like to have the edited photos imported with edits (not _as_ bothered about the originals), which I imagine is going to be more of an issue with Aperture due to it’s non-destructive edits. If necessary I can go to an older Mac and export from Aperture, or just accept that I’ll only get the original files.

Oh – and I’m not a photo/photoshop/whatever expert. These are all just family/holiday/etc photos – so not bothered about workflows and such.

Thoughts/ideas?

bensales
    Free Member

Apple Photos is probably the best bet. It’ll directly import from Aperture and iPhoto, and will meet your current use case.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209594

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08/12/how-to-see-and-import-your-aperture-photos-in-macos-catalina

The edited version from Aperture comes over, mine did when I moved a few years ago when they discontinued Aperture.

DrJ

I’m not sure about the migration process but when I gave up Aperture I moved to Lightroom but wasn’t happy with the UI and found that Capture One is more similar to Aperture. Maybe also look at RAW Power as it’s written by former Aperture team?

CraigW
    Free Member

Could try Darktable or Digikam, both free.
    Darktable is a kind of workflow, raw development thing. DigiKam is more about photo management and tagging.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Migrating iPhoto + Aperture to ???’ is closed to new replies.