Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Middleburn X-Type
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I notice Middleburn have started selling an x-type crankset. Drool:

It looks like they come as a three-piece setup, with the axle not permanently fixed to either crank. As stiffness was one of the major taling points in the move to external type bottom brackets, can anyone explain what the point of middleburns design is? I don’t doubt it’ll be superbly designed and made, and will cost more than most of the rest of the parts on my bike combined…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

they are a year old

Mowgli
    Free Member

Oh 🙁

And why are they three-piece?

Seamus
    Free Member

The axle is permanently bonded to the L/H arm

clubber
    Free Member

drool

Really? Every time I see them, they make me think of cheap, old design cranks with a separate spider/arms. I’m sure that functionally they’re fine but I just can’t see that they offer anything over Shimano.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

they were lovely- i had the 1st black pair.

shame the tollerencs were awful – end of the crank hit the chainstay on my HT, and heard of 2 other instances of this. sent mine back, was told a re-design/reworking was under way. v poor communication, and 3 months later i asked for a refund.

real shame as i’d wanted some from when the first rumour about them came out years ago.

as i said though, beautiful cranks.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

A recent What Mountain Bike crankset shoot out reported them to be quite heavy and not that stiff.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

They look great, but you can get Shimano XTR for just over £200..

DickBarton

Only real issue with XTR is the cost of new rings…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

then buy mine off me! running 1×10 and have been trying to shift them for ages!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn X-Type’ is closed to new replies.