Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)
  • Middle aged men – what do you wear?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

quick question guys/gals .. can I still wear Nike Air Max 90 trainers? ..my kid says no 🙁 ..but we are going back to Rome next month and I think this shoes will b very comfortable with all the cobbles you have to walk there. I’m almost 38 by the way.

iainc

Chuckling at the amount of anti M&S snobbery on here. They sell some really good suits and some less formal trousers and shirts which are right up there in style and quality. Maybe just not the label some folk feel they need…..

footflaps

I reckon 200 quid is about the cheapest you’ll pay for a decent pair although you can get something for less if you shop around the sales. I really like Loake as they are good value.

95% of Loake shoes are less than £200 even at RRP, most are nearer the £100 mark.

Chuckling at the amount of anti M&S snobbery on here. They sell some really good suits and some less formal trousers and shirts which are right up there in style

Formal stuff yes, but they’re casual stuff is truly dreadful, you’d really have to have given up the will to live to buy any.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Exposed full arm tats and a neat trimmed styled beard, all clothes will work with that……currently, no belly of course.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

LVC 1954 washed denim
    APC raw denim
    Chino Shorts
    Norse Projects tee/ls tees/hoodies
    Nikes – currently Flyknit Max
    Red Wings

nothing with a logo/picture, apart from the small square at the front bottom of the norse stuff, did have my 4 year old tell me i had my t-shirt on the wrong way as the tags at the front, so might be time to change that 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

Footflaps Loake have a few ranges

http://www.loake.co.uk/byrange/loake-1880.html

I agree they do have some cheaper shoes hence me mentioning them being good value.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Firetrap , diesel jeans , random t shirts ,and Adidas originals Sambas and Goodyear trainies ,various North Face fleeces and softshell jackets and when trying to impress I will chuck a shirt on YSL ,Boss and the like

I’m 40 and lucky I get to wear what I want for work and no longer interested in the whole pub / club thing comfy casual all the way

dirtyrider
    Free Member

quick question guys/gals .. can I still wear Nike Air Max 90 trainers?

yup, as long as you don’t tighten the laces like this

the-muffin-man

Formal stuff yes, but they’re casual stuff is truly dreadful, you’d really have to have given up the will to live to buy any.

I was in M&S today buying some undercrakers, and I have to admit some of the casual shirts and shorts looked just like you’d buy in Next, TKMax etc. and some of the prices were cheaper.

When you order a sports-jacket from the Sunday supplement – THAT’S when you’ve lost the will to live! 😀

choppersquad
    Free Member

Zara for men do some nice clobber.
    I’m nearly 45 and I’ve got to admit that I’m having difficulty finding anything I like/won’t look like I’m trying to dress young in.
    Generally wear Firetrap, Diesel or other brands that you don’t need to sell a kidney to afford.
    People still get me River Island vouchers for Christmas.
    I spend them on socks.

thefettler
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

My wife thinks it’s a pastime, “she buys all my clothe for me.”

Here is your problem 😉

RustySpanner

Out of work:
    Trainers/walking boots/Vans.
    Shorts.
    Base layer/T shirt.
    Fleece.
    Shell.
    Flat cap.

Work:
    Pink Crocs.
    Blue Cargo pants.
    Pink Polo shirt.
    Blue Softshell.

I’m just as God made me, sir.
    😀

bikebouy – Member

Dear God.

Just go along to Boss and get a decent salesman/woman to dress you. Explain you want to look normal in everyday life and trust them that they’ll dress you correctly. Pay your money, stand tall and walk out looking normal.

I’d rather vote Tory.

funkmasterp

Tucking any item of clothing in is a sign that you are middle aged in my opinion. If it was supposed to be tucked in, it would be attached 🙂

Shorts, t-shirt or short sleeved Joe Browns shirt and barefoot in summer. Jeans, hoodie / jumper, beard and trainers in winter. Coat, beanie and boots if really cold. 38 years old.

Shirt, Jeans and steel toe cap boots for work.

JulianA
    Free Member

Just think ‘Michael Portillo’ or ‘Paul Atterbury’ and you won’t go wrong.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hugo Boss wearing style gurus – is it okay for a chap of 37 to wear Adidas shell-toes (some of which may be Star Wars themed) as part of his work semi-formal outfit?

JulianA
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    Hugo Boss wearing style gurus – is it okay for a chap of 37 to wear Adidas shell-toes (some of which may be Star Wars themed) as part of his work semi-formal outfit?

No

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Wow! Thanks for the advice everyone

I’ve watched the thread develop and have just read it again

Now to the shops

Wish me luck

SaxonRider

White Stuff tends to do decent stuff for men over 30. Young without being too young; sort of dignified hip.

antigee

Now to the shops

not read the middle page so I assume no one recommended On One’s bargain bin?

yunki
    Free Member

Tracksuit pants from Sports Direct
    Tees from charity shop

Trainers or flip flops

binners

How is the world of corporate finance working out for you yunki? 😉

yunki
    Free Member

When you’re as good as me binners, you get judged on performance and reputation..

Sartorial panache doesn’t get a look in at this level 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 ^^^

Pay your money, stand tall and walk out looking normal nothing like the guy in the picture in the magazine, no matter how much you think you do.

yossarian
    Free Member

This thread is, by turns, very depressing and highly amusing

dragon
    Free Member

M&S are garbage they can’t even make quality staples anymore, I’ve moved on to John Lewis’ own brand far better.

I don’t think Nike Air of any kind are acceptable on an adult ever!! Non-Air Nikes are okay but only if participating in sport.

brassneck

For the ‘gap’ the OP has identified, I go with Howies, FatFace, white stuff that sort of thing.

Secret weapon is Debenhams – John Rocha and MantaRay sub brands have some great stuff for the smart but casual and not trying too hard look.

Yak

Usually – shorts/jeans/hoodie/jumper/approach type trainers.
    (wtf am I approaching? the school run? turning 40? Certainly not a crag anymore)
    Work – same, unless there is a meeting.
    Going to a meeting – delve deep into my wardrobe for a selection of 10yr old shirts, thin jumpers and trousers. Mostly next/gap/similar. Old re-soled black or brown shoes.
    Occasionally – grey (wedding) suit that still fits luckily.

I suppose I have given up really looking at this lot. I still regard my selection of hawaiian shirts as viable party wear though… 🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Depends what I’m doing. All my bikey/outdoor stuff comes from tk maxx or decathlon, so I don’t spend a lot on fancy cycling gear. For work or smartish (imo) I like stuff without logos or big labels. Paul Smith and Folk are ticking my box just now but I’m just as likely to buy a shirt for M&S.

BillMC

I suspect M&S could do with one.

bartyp
    Free Member

“I don’t think Nike Air of any kind are acceptable on an adult ever!! Non-Air Nikes are okay but only if participating in sport.”

I really don’t understand the vehemence by some, towards wearing trainers. A decent pair of trainers are far comfier and practical than a lot of other footwear, and a lot lighter than ‘outdoors’ type boots, a lot of which look shit anyway. And there’s trainers and there’s trainers;

My most recent trainers are these:

And I fancy a pair of these:

I’m 43. AndI really don’t give a ****.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I got offered a somewhat senior role at a law firm last year. I decided to show up to final interview in a pair of brown chelsea boots, dark straight-leg Levis, open-neck slightly gaudy striped shirt (Simon Carter?) tucked in, navy soft-shouldered Oliver Spencer jacket over the top. It evidently didn’t put them off, although they were suited.

For me anyway, the combination of a reasonably flat stomach, statement jackets and good posture is the key.

🙂

edhornby

my rule of thumb is to get the trousers right and then everything else works around that, either get some dark one-tone jeans or get trousers that aren’t too formal (look for ones that are flat fronted with round pockets) if you need something smart but not suit

chinos = dear god no, do you want people to think you work for Deloitte?

polo shirts = ugh, you look like a person who works in a retail outlet

have a pair of classic black chelsea boots that aren’t too pointy for a fallback option

Every middle aged gent ought to have at least one cravat in his wardrobe.

footflaps

chinos = dear god no, do you want people to think you work for Deloitte?

polo shirts = ugh, you look like a person who works in a retail outlet

That’s the entire West Coast of America written off in two sentences!

failedengineer

Speaking as an older gentleman (cough 60 cough), trainers should never be worn except for running or, er, training. Walking shoes and trousers should be worn for walking. Plus, what’s wrong with deck shoes? Shirts meant to be tucked in should be tucked in, too.
    As I type this, I’m wearing a cheap polo shirt with the company logo, gap cargo shorts and some Dickies Timberland-copy safety boots. So what do I know?

footflaps

Secret weapon is Debenhams

Do they still exist? I assume that the old department stores had all gone bust (BHS, C&A etc). Not seen one for decades (not that I go looking for them).

mefty
    Free Member

Every middle aged gent ought to have at least one cravat in his wardrobe.

Shudders

binners

Plus, what’s wrong with deck shoes?

Other than the fact that they’re deck shoes?

footflaps

Plus, what’s wrong with deck shoes?

Other than the fact that they’re deck shoes? [/quote]

May as well ask what is wrong with incest, or morris dancing…

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve got deck shoes

and polo shirts 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Middle aged men – what do you wear?’ is closed to new replies.