Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)
  • Middle aged men – what do you wear?
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Middle age probably depends if you’ve got kids. Looking at people who have they seem ready for retirement by their mid 40s 😀

No kids and seems like there’s a lifetime of fun to still be had.

nickc

How have you got to middle age without figuring out what to wear at different events?

footflaps

I find shirts really restrictive, so only wear them for formal occasions / meetings with customers at work. Probably wear T-shirts for 340 days of the year with a fleece if its cold.

shooterman

I’m 44. I wear suits during the week but non suit clothes come from Paul Costelloe, Fat Face, Timberland and Levis.

I find a decent pair of dark blue Levis with a smartish Paul Costelloe shirt topped with a Fat Face / Timberland jacket or coat gets me through most situations.

MrSmith
    Free Member

STW is basically the top-gear audience and all the style that goes with it, just that nobody has admitted to wearing a blouson rally jacket with small race team logo on the front (huge on the back) as their ‘going out’ outfit.
    There must be some right weapon on here who wears one? 😕

MrNice
    Free Member

STW is basically the top-gear audience and all the style that goes with it, just that nobody has admitted to wearing a blouson rally jacket with small race team logo on the front (huge on the back) as their ‘going out’ outfit.

that’s more pistonheads isn’t it? I’d characterize STW style as looking like a bargain bin raiding freerider with a pillow up his shirt

theotherjonv

I think tucked in shirt and jeans is somewhat maligned. Yes, if it’s an office shirt then you do look like the finance director on a day off, but with a decently colourful / patterned shirt and decent jeans (Edwin and Gustin for me plus a pair of black 501s for ‘not obviously jeans’) I reckon it’s doable for a semi-formal occasion such as dinner at a decent place.

Otherwise, it’s shorts and t-shirts for as long as I can stand the cold, and then older edwins and t-shirts for winter, with suit +/- tie for properly formal.

footflaps

I think tucked in shirt and jeans is somewhat maligned.

I always thought an untucked shirt and jeans was chav dress style? It certainly used to be the case that on a Friday / Saturday night Cambridge City centre was invaded by the inbreds from the fens who all wore the uniform of untucked shirt and branded jeans and then got blind drunk by about 7.30 before kicking off….

lunge

Well cut jeans in dark blue, not black.
    Slim cut shirt, one designed for casual wear and not a shirt that you’d wear with a suit. White is good if you can find a good shirt, blues and pinks are fine too. And tuck it in FFS, you’re not a ruffian.
    Jacket if needed. Not a suit jacket, likely a thicker weave, maybe tweed if you fancy it, if not navy blue is good. Pocket square optional.
    Brown shoes or boots, I like brogues but others work as well. What they are not is your office shoes, they’re also unlikely to be black.
    Nice belt that matches your shoes.

Done. Not Top Gear style as your jeans won’t be baggy, your shirt will fit and you won’t be an insufferable fool.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Just think Ed Reardon for me.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Other than work / funerals / weddings, I don’t go anywhere too posh for jeans. For gigs I wear black jeans, t-shirt, shirt, decent boots

theotherjonv

Is it wrong that Morrissey is my style icon in that regard. I’m aiming for this

As opposed to this

Basil

Better brands bought used from EBay
    e.g. Patagonia,Paul Smith,Boden,Ted Baker etc etc.

mogrim

Another 43 year old. Not sure if I’m middle aged, probably…

Zara for me for that not-quite-formal-but-not-tshirt look, as it’s pretty reasonably priced in Spain, and I’m slim enough to wear their stuff. Although right now I’m sitting here in Decathlon shorts and an H&M T-shirt…

convert

I always thought an untucked shirt and jeans was chav dress style? It certainly used to be the case that on a Friday / Saturday night Cambridge City centre was invaded by the inbreds from the fens who all wore the uniform of untucked shirt and branded jeans and then got blind drunk by about 7.30 before kicking off….

And tuck it in FFS, you’re not a ruffian.

This is not me (not sure that’s my sort of jacket, I’d have socks on and converse or a smarter shoe if I wanted to tune it up a bit more) but not far off . Not sure that untucked shirt has to say chav/ruffian. Must stress, this is not I would wear out of choice – default is still jeans, t shirt and/or hoody if I can get away with it, but it’s there to fill the gap for things like gallery openings and to put off going anywhere proper smart save funerals.

bartyp
    Free Member

If you’ve got past 30, and still haven’t figured out what suits you and how to dress properly, then it’s too late I’m afraid. If you’re trying to look ‘cool’, then you’ll fail, as that’s something that can only come naturally. You could try to dress exactly the same way as someone who does look ‘cool’, and fail miserable. The best thing is to just wear what makes you feel comfortable. At least you’ll feel comfortable, and not as awkward as a chav in a cheap suit up before the beak.

The best way to be, is to look like you don’t give a ****. Be that in a 3-piece suit, or old work gear. And not to give a shit what others think of you.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Selvage and a nato strap 8)

cheekyget
    Free Member

I got a mate who works in M& S….not in the shop ..but at the HQ…he is quite high up the ladder
    Anyway I was talking to him saying how shit menswear at M& S is…
    And he’s reply to me
    Was we don’t cater for people who dress up as pop stars!!….were both 43…..but you would think the age between us was 10 years….
    Maybe when I was younger and trying to get into pubs …I should have just dressed in M&S clothes to make me look older…lol

bartyp
    Free Member

And if you’re over 30 anyway, why are you worried about how you look?|

wrecker
    Free Member

Summer casual is a plain tee, some pre wash jeans (nudie normally) and chucks. Smart (as I get) is something like an Oxford shirt, chinos and cleaner chucks.
    Winter casual will be a sweater (reigning champ are good), patagonia coat, cuffed jeans and boots, smarter similar, raw lee 101s, plaid shirt and red wings with a reefer coat.
    When buying clothes, timing is everything. Buy out of season. All of my redwings were half price or better.

zippykona

I try to look like this gentleman.

NYC101009

I’ll just leave this link here as long as you know you sizes,job done

https://www.weargustin.com

Edric64
    Free Member

Cargo shorts trainers and t shirts nearly all the time .I am toying with the idea of shorts to my wedding .I hate getting ponced up .If its cold a cheap hoodie or a decent fleece top

Edric64
    Free Member

How many of you think those awful boat shoes look good ? I have the urge to point and laugh everytime I see them worn.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dear God.

Just go along to Boss and get a decent salesman/woman to dress you. Explain you want to look normal in everyday life and trust them that they’ll dress you correctly. Pay your money, stand tall and walk out looking normal. I do have one caveat and that’s don’t buy the large obnoxious logo garments they sometimes sell. Other than that it’ll cost you£1000 to kit you out.

Suck it up and pay it.

HTHs

the-muffin-man

£1000

…on clothes – are you mad!? 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

£1000
    …on clothes – are you mad!?

‘Normal’ – if I read correctly?

footflaps

£1000
    …on clothes – are you mad!?

That’s a lot of T shirts and shorts!

P-Jay
    Free Member

“Middleaged” is a state of mind, one that should be avoided if you want joy in your life.

Personally, jeans, a nice thick casual shirt untucked (if it’s got a tail you can’t do that) and a nice pair of casual tan leather shoes is me from very casual all the way up to wedding/interview/court.

Most of the time though it’s t-shirt, jeans and trainers.

I wear everything without giving too much of a shit and it suits me. A lack of confidence sticks out far more than the wrong type of shirt or shoes.

scaredypants

I do have one caveat

that’s CRAVAT, BB 😀

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with walking trousers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with walking trousers.

as long as they’re Hugo Boss

oldfart

I’ve been wearing hoodies and skate shoes ( mostly Animal ) for years and I’m heading full pelt for 60 in November , thing is I don’t give a flying you know what what other people think 🙂 There problem not mine ! Worn Animal gear for yonks for several reasons , mainly for supporting MTBing , reasonably priced and darn good quality 🙂 Recently revisited my skinhead past with a check and a two tone Ben Sherman and Levi’s , what goes around etc . If new footwear is needed DMs might be on the list . Trouble is I’m old enough to remember when they were reasonably priced and made in this country 🙁 Now they are around 100 quid and made in China 🙁

joolsburger
    Free Member

Start at the bottom with very good shoes I reckon 200 quid is about the cheapest you’ll pay for a decent pair although you can get something for less if you shop around the sales. I really like Loake as they are good value. Lots of choice for trousers but I avoid anything with prominent logos Hugo Boss are a good fit over cyclists thighs but Uniglo make some decent value trousers. Shirts again no logos I think they just look cheap and a bit silly TBH, I like Uniglo shirts for value they last and wash well. Good jackets/blazers are expensive but worth paying for or even better have one tailored or buy something expensive SH and have it altered.

Mostly I’m in combat shorts or jeans and tshirts but my job requires I dress smasual a lot of the time.
    Just choose clothes that fit well, are made from good fabrics and you feel comfortable wearing, personally my main rules are no or very discrete branding and try not to be fashionable just timeless.

Edukator
    Free Member

Currently shorts and a T-shirt which says “Rock the Vinyl”. The Ramones one is in the wash. I’ll put sandals on if I go out.

slowoldman

Clothes shopping?

Is that a thing?

richmars

Another one for not giving a stuff for what others think. I wear what I like, normally cheap stuff because clothes are a waste of money, compered to other stuff.

onlysteel
    Free Member

FP, clean Levi’s and Geox pseudo trainers or Timberland boots. Coat? Dark navy Marc O’Polo jacket or Jaeger pea coat.

P-Jay
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Clothes shopping?
    Is that a thing?

My wife thinks it’s a pastime, she buys all my clothes for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Middle aged men – what do you wear?’ is closed to new replies.