Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mid Wales Route Suggestions
  • chevychase

I’ve been on the real ale wobble down Llanwyrtd Wells a few times and may be heading over that way in the next couple of weeks.

Done some natural stuff around the Elan Valley and I believe Doethie Valley is nearby.

Anyone got any suggestions of stuff in the area?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Book marked for a June trip this year.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Brecons aren’t far from there-Gap Ride and/or a nice Black Mountains Loop maybe?

Nant Y Arian to the North of there with natural stuff expanding out to the North of it over to Machynlleth way.

Raven,Gorlech and Cwm Rhaeder trails are nearby too .

Loads of Bridleways between/around Llanwrtyd Wells and Elan Village area-look promising on the map,not sure what they are like for real though as I’ve not rode this bit.

chevychase

Did a “ride” over the tops from Trawllm to Elan last year. Got bit by at least 50 horseflies but still enjoyed it (though the o/h definitely didn’t).

Been to Nant Yr Arian, I do like that place, and I’ve done the gap (which was OK, nice scenery). Will look for the others tho, ta. Anyone got any GPX’s?

whitestone
    Free Member

The depiction on the map of a BW in Mid-Wales is no guarantee that anything exists on the ground. You may find singletrack, you may find tussocks, lots of tussocks. And bog.

It’s worth checking on geograph.org.uk to see if anyone’s taken shots of your proposed route.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I live in that area and still get lost! Navigation can be difficult as often there is no clear trail across moorland etc.

I could dig out an Elan Valley route GPX.

I tend to ride with the locals who know all the wild and unmarked bits, and I frequently have no idea where I am!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Brechfa with its Raven and Gorlech trails are all sign posted so should be an easy follow and maybe give you a good day of riding .

Raven and Gorlech combined

This is what I’ve got logged around that area,may give you a sense of whats around you there.

Overview.

faustus

Try some of the Irfon forest routes, natural trails from Llanwrtyd Wells, and maybe link to Doethie Valley too. Linking to Elan Valley will inevitably involve the mythical bog bridleways. Some info here https://www.ibikeride.com/wales/irfon-forest-mountain-biking and marked on gravesendgrunts picture.

dai3015
    Free Member

Hi
    Try http://www.mbwales.com – there are some good routes/ bases in mid Wales on there.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You may find singletrack, you may find tussocks, lots of tussocks. And bog

This x 10000

sri16v
    Free Member

It depends on how far you want to ride?

I ride the elan valley a lot, but also ride around Llanwrtyd.

As mentioned above a bridleway on the map is no guarantee! I have found this out the hard way many a time!

One of my favourite rides in the area is riding from elan valley out to Claerwen dam and down to Strata Florida, then following the tywi track to the backside of the devils staircase, following the valley road to abergwesyn then using farm track bridleways into the forest at trallwm, over carnau back into elan. It’s a big ride at 60k ish and navigation is tough if not familiar with the area

I did a good ride a few weeks ago starting from irfon forest, took in the red, blue and black at coed trallwm and then back into irfon via Llanwrtyd for a 40k loop. A lot of climbing around 1500m so not to be underestimated!

Brechfa is worth a go also, especially if you link the gorlech and the raven together, only 38k but again some big climbs. I normally start with the red first and then pick the black up before the final red descent.

sslopes
    Free Member

Hi sri16v, are Coed Trallwm trails open and ridable? I thought that was all closed.

OP Doethie Valley would also be good in this weather but look out for ticks.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Agree with Whitestone just had 4 days round there and what’s marked on the maps is definitely not there on the floor ,when on the tops if you don’t find the goat tracks that lead to the proper tracks then you’ll be tussock yomping and bog trotting for hours ,there is a lovely decent from the top of the hill outside llandovery down to the valley ,it runs alongside Cwm rheadr, but is much much better than the man made trails ,bit of a mission to get up there but we’ll worth it

sri16v
    Free Member

The trails at coed trallwm are open, and they seem to be maintaining them, but the actual cafe/centre is closed.

I wouldnt travel a long distance to ride the trails but when incorporated into a longer natural loop they do make a nice change from natural stuff.

Brechfa would be my go to if you are close, great flow and some nice technical bits aswell as some of the biggest table tops you will come across at a trail centre. Also dont discount the green and blue trails, ridiculous good fun if you are a quick/competent rider.

THere is also Nant Yr Arian towards Aberystwyth which again is quite xc orientated, theres a nice 36km loop called Syfydrin which is mainly natural xc and all of the man made trails.

Climach x is also worth a visit if near Machynlleth, short at 20km but the last descent is brilliant and can be repeated by going up the first climb again and taking the first left turn at the top

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mid Wales Route Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.