Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Mid life crisis or just having fun?
  • matther01
    Free Member

I recently took my youngest girl (8) out on the skateboard she got for christmas.

Hadn’t skated for about 15 years but loved it so much…I’ve bought one.

Not sure its from a lack of sleep with my non sleeping son addling my brain, a mid life crisis or just having fun doing something I used to really enjoy?

Anyone else doing anything daft coming up to middle age?

winston
    Free Member

Usual stuff

learnt to ride a motorbike and bought a CBR600

ran a couple of ultra marathons

took a longboard (skate) down a mountain pass

Freefall next

I am a moving cliche

choppersquad
    Free Member

I really fancy a pair of old school rollerboots but I think I’ll get laughed at.

winston
    Free Member

oh yeah and walked out of my safe secure job…..

darrenspink
    Free Member

Anyone else doing anything daft coming up to middle age?

Does going fast through a rock garden count?

matther01
    Free Member

^^^ only if it was on a rigid with v brakes lol

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah.
    I’ve lost count now to be honest. But let me try.
    BMX racing – not so good at that
    Dirt jumping – Got quite good at that but broke quite a few bones doing that. Ribs mainly.
    Skateboarding – Yep, always laugh when I see middle aged men taking that up again.

yeah, skateboarding was probably a bad idea.

Red sports car, tattoo, etc etc.

No idea what comes next. An affair maybe,

matther01
    Free Member

^^^ Jesus…don’t tell the missus!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Never really grew up. Seen people do it and just sensed the loss of fun.

Aged 16: get wasted regularly and ride bikes (human and internal combustion powered)

Aged 48; get wasted regularly and ride bikes (human and internal combustion powered). Plus hold down management job, pay mortgage, bring up two daughters.

No need to change too much.

DezB
    Free Member

Still got my board from 1976 and when my boy was into his scootering, used to love whizzing about down the seafront on my board. Being with a nipper takes away the self consciousness of being a old duffer skating 🙂
    Took it to the skatepark with him a few times, but there was always teenagers around and couldn’t bring myself to do it with them watching!

qwerty
    Free Member

Had a huge indoor skatepark open up <1/2 mile from home, 8yr old son got a bmx early December, I brought mine as my Xmas pressie. Not getting any rad air, but fun rolling around!

samuri
    Free Member

3 months in plaster. All through a christmas and my father in laws death. Hated it.
    Be careful. The hospital ward had two other blokes with very similar injuries from skateboards

aracer
    Free Member

Coming up to? I was over 40 when I started unicycling (and for anybody who’s missed my comments on here, now ride some reasonably techy off road stuff including things like Verderers – oh and I’ve also taken one to the skatepark!)

samuri
    Free Member

unicycling! Yep, did that.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

Was thinking of getting a unicycle but not sure how difficult to master. 3 months with 10 mns daily practice?

aracer
    Free Member

Took me 2 weeks at about an hour a day. That’s to be able to ride a short distance in reasonable control rather than to master – there’s an argument that it’s something you never master – though after you’ve managed the basics of riding it comes quite quickly after that.

10 mins a day may be a bit too little to make decent progress – you really want to be devoting at least 20 mins to half an hour. Daily practice is very good though.

dogbert
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with taking skateboarding back up, who cares if it’s a midlife crisis, as long as you’re enjoying yourself.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Dunno, but what I do know is that in middle age who freakin’ cares what you do to have fun. Used to bother me when youger but not any more! Go for it! \m/ 😛

_tom_
    Free Member

Tbh for a lot of people a “mid life crisis” seems more like having the time and money to do the fun stuff you wanted to do when you were younger but were constrained by the aforementioned. Not really a crisis, more having the resources now 🙂 as I’m not middle aged I cant say for sure but thats my 25 year olds view on it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Took it to the skatepark with him a few times, but there was always teenagers around and couldn’t bring myself to do it with them watching!

Borrowed a mate’s BMX and went to the BMX park at 6am because I thought there would be no-one there to laugh at me. The little shits were already there! Got challenged to a race and they thrashed me so hard they just rode off mid-lap to do something more interesting… ;(

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Disappointed. Thoght this was going to about a STWer having a sordid affair….

Coyote
    Free Member

Building a BMX. (47)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well according to the ex wife I had a I had a mid-life crises when I started mounting biking in my mid 40’s.

OP doing stuff with your kids is absolutely not mid-life crises, just get out there and enjoy it with them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

longboard skateboards are great for following small kids on scoot bikes or scooters at the local park

TiRed

Ripstik FTW. Learnt to ride one at 45. And yes I have ridden it at the local skatepark.

kayak23

binners

Yip. Bought a BMX. Went out on it to the track. Nearly died. Its bloody hard work! Left it in the garage for a bit. Sold it.

After taking my daughters roller skating, I’ve been browsing ebay for some old school Bauer Turbos. I’ll look like a right nob. Oh well. Lifes too short to care really.

Lets be honest. If you’re spending your free time dossing about on mountain bikes, getting muddy, its a safe bet you’re not the most growed-up person in the world. And that can only be a good thing

willard

Yup, turned 40 in March, have a freefall jump (tandem only sadly) booked for sometime in May.

I would have liked to have celebrated 40 by taking a year off and driving round the world or something (see other thread), but I’m middle-aged and not stupid.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The mid-life crisis thing gets on my nerves a bit. Seems to be a favourite of people who think that sort of stuff should end at 30 and want to patronise people who don’t see why they should stop.
    As far as picking things up again that you used to do when you were younger, why not? If you still want to do it and you have the time and money to do it then what’s wrong with getting on with it?

DezB
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    Ripstik FTW

NOOOO!! 😆

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well turned 40. Check.
    Diet to loose weight. Check
    Gym to get fitter. Check
    New motorbike. Check.
    Tattoo. Not quite checked yet.
    Stupid holiday plans. Check Check Check.

Yup, pretty much full on mid life crisis here. You know what it’s a lot more fun than the last few years and as I’m single with no other responsibilities I don’t really care.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Arguably more of a cliche to stop having fun/doing the things you want to do simply because of advancing years.

Additionally – someone somewhere will always try and slap a cliche on you whatever you choose to do, to wear, to buy, etc – so just being yrself is the only sensible option.

growinglad
    Free Member

Not just me then…..

…..I had to buy a new bouncy bike as I couldn’t keep up with the whipper snappers on my hard tail anymore….Well I could, but I’d spend the next couple of days with a stiff back and deep heat on my legs…

You do suddenly realise you aren’t indestructible any more and you have a limited time, but it’s just made me more determined to cram more in and enjoy myself even more.

I love having kids, gives you an excuse to do all the silly things again (and use them as the excuse) that you couldn’t do when you were younger as you didn’t have the money or the freedom to travel.

BillMC

58: make good use of two mountain bikes, one road bike, two surfboards, baldrick and bells, enormous appetite for life and just taken retirement, recently travelled in El Salvador, Guatemala, Botswana, Zimbabwe, NY, Cromer, just taken on a full allotment to free up more money for my insatiable thirst and gluttony. Just having fun, not middle aged for another 20 years yet. Age is an attitude and my attitude is about 27.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do you remember when skateboarders used to wear helmets and all that protection?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Men never grow up so how can we have a “mid life crisis”? That’s just a name jealous women use to describe a man enjoying himself not giving a ****. It’s just stuff you’ve always done/wanted to do, and now you have the time/money. Do it.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you remember when skateboarders used to wear helmets and all that protection?

Me, when pads were cool 😀

RustySpanner

Now that is a great photo!

Yes, got the BMX, a 38lb Mongoose bought some years ago in a fit of something – it hates me.
    I’m convinced the bastardly little thing is possessed. 🙂

Still got my skateboard, but smacking my fat, fragile 40 odd year old body repeatedly into concrete no longer holds the appeal it once did.

Lego’s a good one.

rewski
    Free Member

‘It’s never too late to have a happy childhood’ taken from credits of Trailnotes film (I think)

I’m over 40 and have a pimped up purple Zoo York skateboard, a long board, bauer turbos with krytonics and tempted to buy an off road scooter.

yunki
    Free Member

Never really grew up. Seen people do it and just sensed the loss of fun and awful lack of human spirit that would allow someone to fall for that shit in the first place

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Mid life crisis or just having fun?’ is closed to new replies.