Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Microsoft Office 2007
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just been upgraded (sic.) to Office 07. First impressions are that it is computer crashing application slowing hidden menu over complicated rubbish.

Does it get better with time or am I going to be swearing at this nonsense until Office 11 turns up to make my life even more miserable?

bruneep

fine with me

redthunder
    Free Member

Hate it.

However,

Got a plugin that makes it look like old office 2003 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

Heres a link…
    http://www.addintools.com/

scaredypants

ooh, good work redthunder – just need to find a way to install that at work

office 2007 does seem to be different just for the sake of it

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Why upgrade and patch to make it look like 03? Seems a bit cock-eyed.

scaredypants

aphex – my employers seem to think I’m not the sole source of feedback they need before making changes

miketually
    Free Member

We’ll be using it for teaching ICT from September. I haven’t even opened it yet.

retro83
    Free Member

I think its a great new UI, but they should not have completely changed how windows works on a stable platform. Same with IE7 moving the menubar beneath the toolbar. Fine for vista, but really awkward feeling on XP.

After you get used to it, it is actually very efficient to use. Found it a joy to use for putting references and bibliography together for my dissertation last year.

redthunder
    Free Member

MS Office 07 is for special people.

😉

pantsonfire
    Free Member

We needed new computers at work and a salesman came round to demonstrate the shiny new system. I told get rid of that junk meaning office 07 he spent half an hour trying to persuade me to accept it. I eventually told him its 03 or no sale. He gave in and admitted that virtually everyone insists on office 03.
    It might be a better system in the long run but I want the simplest and the most reliable.

fubar
    Free Member

It doesn’t crash on my work computer (on XP)

It has grown on me – wouldn’t go back to 2003.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I really like it.
    Did read the reason they changed it – a stunningly small percentage of people ever used the tool bar and a miniscule percentage actually customised it for their needs. They decided to simplify it so that the respective tool ‘hovers’ over what you’re doing to make it simpler.
    Saying that, we’ve now got it on our machines at home and i really do like it.
    cheers
    Q

DezB
    Free Member

Hey, I come on this forum to get away from work!
    One of my projects is to roll Office 2007 to 5000 European users 👿

scaredypants

dez – just remotely take over their pcs when they’re not looking & wap it on there

Worked for us 😕

NZCol

Have regressed from Vista Pro/Office 2007 laptop back to my XP Pro/Office 2003 setup as I prefer to be able to work allday without rebooting my machine 5 or 6 times. Now i’d normally say its user error etc but i have a team of chaps that just do this stuff and even they whinge about it a lot. I eventually sold my new laptop on TradeMe and have put another gb ram into my 5yr old one with a 60gb drive and it works 10 times better. I’m all for progress but not when its disguised as going backwards !

MrGreedy

Took me a while to get used to but I wouldn’t go back now (had it at work initially and now have it on my home PC too). Everything’s there when you need it to be, and I’ve had no performance issues at all. Definitely worth persevering with IMO.

allyharp

I think I much prefer the new one!

Took time to get used to though.

lodious
    Free Member

No crashes here, not one. Much prefer the menus on 07, Excel 07 has much bigger row / column limits. Love the pushpins on the frequently used file list. Would not go back to 2003.

samuri
    Free Member

no crashes here but I think it’s bobbins. No-one in the company will use it even the directors and they’re normally screaming to have the latest thing like tiny spoilt children when something new comes out.

pennine
    Free Member

Mainly use Excel & Access. The toolbar irritated the hell out of me to start with, but once customised I started to like it. The split form function in Access is great. The increase in rows in Excel has been a godsend (spreadsheet linked into a sqlserver view had just reached its limit).

mrmo
    Free Member

be grateful it isn’t Office for Mac, the latest version lost all the VBA and macro ability….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

[q] scaredypants – Member

aphex – my employers seem to think I’m not the sole source of feedback they need before making changes [/q]

I can’t remember the last time Office crashed on me. Or Vista for that matter. Nothing wrong with it for 95% of people.

What crashes are you having?

Peregrine
    Free Member

Complete sh1te – IMO
    Gone back to 03.

scaredypants

aphex – it doesn’t crash on me but I take about twice as long as I used to to perform simple functions

I don’t use it enough to learn its charming ways quickly

aphex_2k
    Free Member

LOL… It’s not THAT bad. Is there really so much you can’t find or do? The help system is pretty useful. If that doesn’t work then Google will throw up most answers.

You did say your first impressions were that it was “computer crashing application slowing hidden menu over complicated rubbish”. I probs took that a tad too literally.

You’ll get to like it. Just as I’m sure you did with 03 ;o)

scaredypants

You did say your first impressions were that it was “computer crashing application slowing hidden menu over complicated rubbish”. I probs took that a tad too literally

that was harry, not me

help system is useful but I didn’t need it with the previous ones (I’d “learnt” to use office over about 15yrs light use – during which each iteration worked in pretty much the same way)

scaredypants

You may have a point though – I just might be a reactionary old git

(do seem to remember not liking it when I had to give up wordperfect and quattro(?) & change to word) 👿

grumm
    Free Member

It’s rubbish. Pointless moving around of options/menus with no benefit and it doesn’t even look nice.

devs
    Free Member

Apparently the new layout is due to customer feedback. I’ve installed it of a couple of hundred pcs or so now. There’s about a 50:50 split as to who does and doesn’t like it. I don’t care. Life’s too short to get stressed about such trivial things.

bigrich

i way prefer it. it helps if you use it to write a thesis/papers cos you have to learn it. so much better to use than 03.

cp

I like it a lot. It makes a nice change to see a Microsoft product with a nicer UI. It took a bit of getting used to (a few hours), but once you change the mindset from ‘file, edit, view’ etc… then it all makes sense.

and it works fine on my installation of Vista Business 🙂

simon_g

Everyone said the same about 2003, and 2000, and 97… and in fact every new iteration of Windows. Suddenly the version before the latest one becomes the most stable and fantastic thing ever, until another new version comes along and the one currently pervieved as slow, crashy and rubbish becomes wonderful.

DezB
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    dez – just remotely take over their pcs when they’re not looking & wap it on there

Worked for us

On 5000 PCs?! We use SMS dear boy. I’m staying off this thread now though. I need escapism from my forum visits!

Christowkid
    Free Member

‘Crashes….’
    Well, my computer ( bought september, Vista + Office 07)is fine but I do have a couple of issues. It doesn’t crash whilst using any ogf the Office things but
    1. Sometimes it hangs on startup, often with the ‘login to users’ desktop ( where you select your account and click in ) sometimes after the latest MS updates. They seem undigestible at first!
    2. Or just after loading the account
    3. Often Internet Explorere hangs.

I’m up to date with MS updates, regularly scan with AV and spyware.
    it’s a shame cos once up and running I love it.
    As I type, it ‘s crossed my mind – my wife’s slightly older lap top similarly specc’d seems never to skip a beat….
    any thoughts? anyone else getting similar experiences?
    cheers
    Q

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Look at the system monitor and see whats using mem and cpu. You might find something like a virus checker goes a bit crazy on start up.

Has your missus’ laptop got different virus protection?

Christowkid
    Free Member

aphex: We both use Symantec, as I get it free.
    I have noticed recently that as everything loads it does tell me ” Virus turned off” with a red cross in the shield, then it goes as everything loads up.
    How do I check the system monitor?…. is that via ctrl-alt-del and look at Performance?
    ta
    Q

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Office 2007’ is closed to new replies.