Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Michelin
  • jedi

Anyone used their wild enduro tyres and whatcha reckon

rugbydick

Yes. Brilliant – best tyres I’ve ever used

stevied
    Free Member

Wild Enduro Front is fantastic

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Big fan of Michelin here, I’ve used the Wild Muds with Enduro sidewalls for a few winters, can run at 18psi over wet chalk and flints without sidewall damage and only a two punctures that wouldn’t seal in that time without anchovies.

I’ve used the Wild Enduro F&R this year, outrageous levels of grip on Sussex soil, Dartmoor Granite and loam and Welsh trail centres.  Again sidewalls that will tolerate much abuse.  My only criticism is they can be a bit draggy especially the rear.

nickc

Heard the wet performance isn’t up to much?

sharkattack

I got a pair of the Wild Enduros when they were on offer. Painless tubeless installation and they blow up to the correct size. The 2.4 is not far short of the 2.6 Spesh Grids but the sidewalls are stiffer and the handling much more direct. Rode them in the Alps in everything from torrential downpours to deep dust and never gave them a second thought. Front isn’t as grippy as a Hillbilly in actual mud (obviously) but still fine.

I’m not a tyre swapper so I’ll happily ride them in everything. Will buy again (as long as they’re on sale).

duncancallum

Love them

Best tyre I’ve used. Did a week inn the alps miles better than the minions last year

5plusn8
    Free Member

Its about time a proper tyre manufacturer got back in the game.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The bits they are good at, they are really good. They are more squimy on hard surfaces than Maxxis, but they last longer. Good in soft conditions and not bad in the mud.

Sidewalks for the weight are flimsy. They are supposedly being reworked soon to address that. I’ve had better luck on the whole with DD casing tyres for the same weight. For the price though, general thumbs up from me.

jedi

awesome. used mavic and maxxiss up to now and want to try others

darksideby182

Have the Wild Rock’r and have been surprised with how grippy they are in most conditions, the only downfall is the sidewalls have no strength and the Gum x versions are a nightmare to get off the rim.

russyh
    Free Member

They are Ok, but hardly the second coming of Christ. Been running them for a while now.  Originally with inserts front and rear.  I had thought them to be bloody draggy.  When I removed the inserts it transformed the tyre from a rolling resistance perspective.  Not sure why, maybe pressures.  One thing I will say is the front tyre tracks it’s line almost stubbornly and needs real postindustrial rider input…if that makes sense? They seem to be lasting really well, much better than the Schwalbe they replaced.  That said I still think the 2.6 Magic Mary Soft is the best tyre for U.K. riding, just a shame Schwalbe don’t make a decent rear tyre to match.  Rock Razor is great for 1/3 of the year, new version of the Hans dampf is OK but my last one lasted weeks.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

They’re OK. As has been said, the sidewalls aren’t really supportive enough and they’re not particularly soft, so can be a bit pingy on wet roots, which isn’t great for me as that’s a large portion of my riding.

My main problem with them, though, is that every now and again they’ll do something unpredictable – I’ve had far more crashes with them than other tyres (Magic Mary SG, DHF Maxterra, High Roller II).

JP

dirkpitt74

Got the Wild Enduro Gum-X front and back.
    Been pretty good so far.
    Did really well at a soaking wet rocky Llandegla last week.
    Good in the dry too and not too bad in the Cannock mud either.

bruneep

they are rubbish*

* Shh been using them for ages best tyre I’ve used. just need to keep the fact that they are good quiet

Shackleton

I really rate them (29er Magic-X front Gum-X rear) compared to Maxxis EXO minion DHR2s. Certainly my riding has become more aggressive while using them as they give me more confidence. Both run on FlowEX 25mm internal width rims. Nice profile, proper big stable side knobs, no transition gap from centre to shoulder, work on wet roots/rocks, grippy in all but proper mud. Draggy on dry hardpack but hey ho. I suspect that on really wide rims the profile wouldn’t work as well.

I think that the casing is tougher than EXO (certainly fewer rim dings even at lower pressure than exo minions). It feels thicker and rubberier too and built better than maxxis exo of late for me. Not compared to DD, etc. so no idea there. You can get a very similar tread on their lighter casing which may be why some people think they are fragile or don’t offer support.

misteralz
    Free Member

Been using their Wild Grip R for a while now – bought a couple when they were on offer in Decathlon. Very impressed with them. As said, the transition into corners is perfect and they don’t feel too squirrelly at lower pressures. Even wear sensibly – I’ve probably got 2k out of the rear, and that’s with a lot of tarmac time as well.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

The casing is much thinner than a DD or SuperGravity casing – they don’t feel fragile, but they’re certainly not the most supportive tyres.

JP

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Did a week in Chamonix recently, which is rocky and steep, and the rear Michelin handled it brilliantly. Mate’s brand new rear Minion DHR2 DD had ripped side knobs half way round by the end on the week.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I currently run a Minion DHF 3C maxx Terra Exo on the front and an Aggressor Exo on the rear and fancy giving the Michelin’s a go.

From what I can gather I’d be best to go for a Wild Enduro Magi-X on the front and a Wild Enduro Gum-X on the rear? I really don’t want anything more draggy than my current setup

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They will absolutely be more draggy than your current setup.

Regardless of compound, the tread pattern alone will roll slower.

ajt123
    Free Member

My Wild Grip’r is a great allrounder. Very tough carcass. Confidence booster.

I went for the enduro, which is basically similar to schwalbe super gravity.

Michelin are now legit again.

ajt123
    Free Member

DHF 3Cs pretty hard to beat. Love that tyre.

Think Maxxis are often benchmark brand, but concomitantly you pay for it.

Michelin are probably better value. WTB also a good bet.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped my hardly worn Wild Enduro for an Assegai. I won’t be going back. The Assegai is much heavier, but the extra damping feels like I’ve got an inch more travel. It’s much better over wet roots, feels better on flat corners and in the berms and gives way more confidence everywhere.

I’ve always used DD and SG casing tyres since I started riding a long travel bike, and I think I just don’t get on with thinner, lighter tyres – they just feel a bit squirrelly.

JP

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped my hardly worn Wild Enduro for an Assegai. I won’t be going back. The Assegai is much heavier, but the extra damping feels like I’ve got an inch more travel. It’s much better over wet roots, feels better on flat corners and in the berms and gives way more confidence everywhere.

I’ve always used DD and SG casing tyres since I started riding a long travel bike, and I think I just don’t get on with thinner, lighter tyres – they just feel a bit squirrelly.

This is the the weird thing about the Michelins though (especially the rears). They are a ‘heavy’ tyre. ~1200g both the ones i’ve got came out at. That’s DD weight for most Maxxis (other than the Assegai, which seems to be mega heavy).

As I said before, I really rate them on softer, loamy stuff, and when it’s wet, but not a swamp. Rocks, roots & hardpack are not their strong point, which is where I get caught out with them, most of my riding is the former, so when I get to the latter, I wonder where the grip has gone. And given the weight, I seem to flat them as easily as an EXO.

I can’t compare them fairly to a Assegai, as I did 3 weeks in Canada on a F&R DH casing Maxx Grip versions, which were, basically amazing, but they weighed nearly 3kg for the tyres alone, which was fine out there, but on flatter UK stuff for my local riding, not so great!

That said, Maxx Grip compounds, are amazing 🙂

Goldilocks tyres basically don’t exist for me sadly, but the Michelins cover most things in my world.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

More draggy than my current setup and not as grippy on rocky rooty stuff as my current setup (which makes up the majority of my riding). Heavier to boot too.

Hmmmmm.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To be fair they are grippier than any Maxxis compound, other than Maxx Grip, IMO of course.

gavstorie
    Free Member

ran a wild enduro front for a while. paired it with a DHR2 out back. Previously I ran a MM soft up front. I found that the Enduro was noticeably more sketchy in the wet compared to the MM. In the dry it was never quite as confidence inspiring either, especially on marbles.

I’ve gone back to a MM up front and put the enduro on the rear. It is suffering from similar issues on the rear though. It doesnt grip as well as the DHR2 and braking performance is noticeably reduced. I heading back to a DHR2 as soon as it wears out.

The wild mud is an awesome tyre though. Its much better in slop that the MM or a shorty

jedi

Bluearedfly. That was my old tyre combo. Two rides so far. Feel sluggish but will test them fully at Woburn this week

Shackleton

Having ridden them all “summer” a mate bought some on my recommendation. Hates them. I wasn’t sure why given that we ride similarly on similar terrain at similar speeds.

I tried his bike, he tried mine. I hated them, he liked them.

Turns out that while they work well on my Stans Flow EX (inner width of 24.5mm) they don’t work well on 30mm inner width (not sure what his rims are, possibly Easton?).

Looking at the profile on his rims the side knobs are in the wrong place and the carcass is exposed. He normally rides DHR2 in WT format. Could explain a lot.

May help some decide!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks Jedi will be interesting to see how you get on (and I’ll now tell everyone you once copied my tyre choice 🙂)

Shackleton, funny you should mention rim width as I had heard this mentioned previously (possibly on here) that the Michelin’s profile don’t suit a wider rim, I run 511’s 30mm internal.

Oddly enough my current DHF/Aggressor combo are both WT too.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my 3yr old Nobby Nic’s – Woburn rider too – with something grippier and similarly fast rolling.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my 3yr old Nobby Nic’s – Woburn rider too – with something grippier and similarly fast rolling.

Choose one – you can’t have both.

JP

jedi

Rode Woburn today. Noticeably gripper

jedi

Front magix tyre keeps going flat. Found the sidewall one side is porous. So took it back and now H e 2.5 shorty tyre front. Going to Wales tomorrow so will see

paulneenan76
    Free Member

My Nobby Nic’s are porous but takes weeks to deflate. Shame it’s happened on the Mich one; perhaps a Friday afternoon tyre rather than the the whole product line?

jedi

Perhaps but a friend bought some for his bike and the magi x front deflating too

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Ah, I’ll give them a swerve then.

teethgrinder

Got the Gum-X front and rear. All good here, with no random deflating or weeping

BIGMAN
    Free Member

No issues here. Deflated slowly before first ridden and rock solid since and not lost any pressure.

Replaced DHR2 WT and grip levels are better than removed tyres even in slop. I am a huge fan!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Michelin’ is closed to new replies.