Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Michael Palin in North Korea
  • CountZero

Anyone watching? Looks like it’s going to be fascinating, judging by what I’ve seen so far; the girls directing the traffic are, as Palin says, totally hypnotic!

bikebouy
    Free Member

My mate does the sound on that..

mattyfez

Does he go off piste? Or is it the usual guided tour?

CountZero

Does he go off piste? Or is it the usual guided tour?

Off-piste, apparently, but with ‘guides’; obviously there’s no realistic chance of the North Korean government allowing unfettered access to anywhere in the country, but from what Palin has said, they went to places no Westerners are normally allowed to go. Certainly, the first programme showed a side of NK I was unaware of. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

jonnyboi

I really enjoyed it

avdave2

I’m working in Seoul at the moment. 3rd time I’ve been here and every time I wonder if I’ve wandered into the North by mistake. The answer to everything is yes followed by nothing whatsoever happening!

xora

I’m working in Seoul at the moment. 3rd time I’ve been here and every time I wonder if I’ve wandered into the North by mistake. The answer to everything is yes followed by nothing whatsoever happening!

So true, I was rushed to do a chip bringup in a total panic. Only to get there are find out the chip I was doing software for wasn’t even on the board 😀 At least I got to tourist for a bit!

tails
    Free Member

I thought about going there once having visited South Korea, seems like a lot of trouble for not very much. Amazing how he got so much access either very well timed or Kim Jong unn is a fan of monty python. He was funny in the school blowing up that globe, I think the teacher was thinking get him gone. Nice poem, felt a bit sorry for the guides getting questioned by him still makes it good tv.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im looking forward to catching up with that soon.

Still one of my favourite books is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nothing-Envy-Lives-North-Korea/dp/184708141X

Samuel Johnson prize winner from a while back. Good context of the pre Kin Jong-un world

butcher

Grim book that one.

Which channel was this on?

franksinatra

It was on Channel 5.

Last nights episode was not about North Korea, it was about the elite of Pyongyang, this makes up a tiny group of people and is not representative of the rest of the country where people are still die form starvation. Palin knows that but it is very unlikely he is allowed to see that. I suspect that, despite his best efforts, the series is likely to be a glamourised version of the truth.

vmgscot

I know Dan Milner has been on a biking expedition out there just recently and interested to see his articles – not sure if Singletrack Mag have taken any options on that?

nickc

The problem with these sorts of travel programmes is that they’re neither fish nor fowl. Palin will try to ask serious questions fo’shure but the North Koreans aren’t stupid, there’s a reason they’ve allowed him to come and not say; Robert Fisk or Patrick Cockburn. Plus then of course, he’ll do the “look at this lovely landscape” or “look at these ordinary people enjoying themselves”** which it probably is/they are , but does lend itself to propaganda efforts of DPRK somewhat.

** did anyone notice the shot of the man placing the wreath on Palin’s head in the May Day park scene…And the terrified looking daughter dragging the old boy away..?

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the reminder- I’d heard him on the radio promoting the program but then forgot about it.

Palin is only being shown the scripted front that NK wants to portray but there’s no real way that a mainstream TV program will ever be allowed off piste.

I’d still love to visit.

professor_fate
    Free Member

did anyone notice the shot of the man placing the wreath on Palin’s head in the May Day park scene…And the terrified looking daughter dragging the old boy away..?

… my first thought was that the old fella was then going to be fully “debriefed” by the Feds, as would be any actual regular NK comrades Palin comes into contact with – not pleasant i’ll wager.

oreetmon
    Free Member

my mate is treated very well in NK, he encouraged me and the mrs to be the first western couple to get married there. ALL Familys flights, accommodation, wedding  yadayada paid for by Kim.

wants boost tourism

wan://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/yp4575/lupine-travel-dylan-harris-interview

the dailymail reported that he was a spy 😂

oreetmon
    Free Member

The mrs said NO WAY.

im still keen 😁

bukobuko
    Free Member

Would rather go to NK than South Africa any day.

CountZero

Would rather go to NK than South Africa any day.

Likewise, but I’m much more inclined towards an interest in the Far East anyway, that whole area fascinates me, it’s history, art and landscapes in particular. Korea has been a huge influence on both China and Japan, their ceramics especially.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Michael Palin in North Korea’ is closed to new replies.