Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Metronidazole reaction – is there a pharmacist/ doctor in the house?
  • scotabroad

Prescribed 5 day course Metronidazole antobiotic and instucted strictly no alcohol which I have followed.  However same day started taking it had projectile vomit (12hrs) and fever for 24hrs, and now feel more or less ok whilst still taking it.  Wondering in hindsight if this is due to had few drinks night before taking it.  Or just picked up a bug the same day?

teethgrinder
    tjagain

Why were you taking it?

Phone out of hours for advice?

scaredypants

It’s notorious for making people puke even without alcohol, though 12hr is quite a decent effort!

The alcohol interaction is apparenty difficult to reproduce in clinical studies but there have been LOADS of reports, including at least one fatality (though, see confirmation bias)

Did you really batter the drink or does a few mean that you should’ve seen it all off by the next morning ? Are you good with alcohol generally – no facial flushing while drinking or massive hangovers afterwards ?

Even with disulfiram (the drug that most commonly was given to alcoholics to make them avoid drinking – not used so much any more) the reaction was/is mostly facial flushing, headaches, bit of a drop in blood pressure rather than 12hrs of puking (though nausea’s definitely a part of the reaction)

jonm81

Mrs M is a pharmacist and says it is most likely related. She also says to stay off the alcohol for a few days after too.

scotabroad

Hi there thanks for replies – prescribed for dental issues which was main reason for alcohol night before using a few vodkas to swill around affected teeth seemed a shame to spit out. Post vomiting was totally chair ridden with flu type symptoms and have gotten better quickly over weekend.  So still not sure if was reaction or separate 24/48 hr flu/ vomiting type bug, or maybe even food poisoning although latter unlikely.  Ah well on the mend now.

andyl
    Free Member

I had a bad reaction to that, very bad. Thought I was freezing cold (I wasn’t) and wasn’t very with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Metronidazole reaction – is there a pharmacist/ doctor in the house?’ is closed to new replies.