Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Metal XC full suspension bike recommendations..help
  • danboy

I am looking for a lightweight xc full suspension bike though am nervous of the stone strike / durability of full carbon. Can anyone recommend an aluminium alternative, preferably with a threaded bottom bracket, or possibly titanium hardtail. I’m struggling so any advice would be helpful. Possibly I’m wrongly nervous of full carbon but I do keep my bikes a long time.

tomhoward

Any stone strike that damages a carbon XC bike will make a nice mess of a lightweight Alu XC bike too, but the Carbon will be easily repairable, if not warranty’d. Protection is available also.

Got a budget?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about the durability of carbon. Even so, it’s easier to get carbon repaired than it is an aluminium tube.

Buy the bike you like the look of, or demo and like the feel of irrespective of material. You’ll end up keeping the bike you really like.

Things like Scott Spark, Giant Anthem, Trek Top Fuel (older model) etc.

matt_outandabout

Possibly I’m wrongly nervous of full carbon but I do keep my bikes a long time.

I think you are.

danboy

Budget up to £3500 ish. Think I need to add a bit more than the £2 K spent 10 years ago. Santacruz Blur ?

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’d demo a Blur as I think they look great (and supposedly ride good too). You’ll not get an amazing spec though for 3.5k, unless you catch a sale.

I thought my Scott Spark RC was ace, although not perfect. If I was looking at this type of bike at the moment, I’d also look at the Canyon range.

tomhoward

Blur is what I’d be looking at, or a Specialized epic.

If second had is of interest I’m selling a large Pivot Mach 429SL frame and fork (and a few bits, check the classifieds…), would build into something VERY nice for not much more than your 10 years ago budget 😉

bowglie

Aluminium Giant Anthem or Trance 29, or Spesh Epic? For 3.5k you should get something with a reasonable spec if there are any 2019 models left.

duncancallum

KTM scarp?

trail_rat
    Free Member

re old carbon.

i have a 2009 ibis mojo thats taken a beating from me and got knows how many before me.

Ive heard rocks strike and yet found no damage(it does have a protection plate on the downtube)

i wouldnt be overly worried about carbon durability.

dogbone

Alloy SC Tallboy?

danboy

Thanks everybody, carbon is back on the list.

whytetrash

I’ve got an epic marathon with carbon rims… been getting hammered for 5 years with no issues… buy carbon 😊

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Metal XC full suspension bike recommendations..help’ is closed to new replies.