Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Meta am??
  • philbert31
    Free Member

First things first, ive just got back into mtb after a 12 year break, bought myself a genesis core 40 and im loving it! But im getting seriously drawn to all things fs, and after looking at a few different brands i quite like the look of the commencals, ive read the horror stories but ive also read that that was in the past and the issues have been sorted, firstly is this true and could anyone with meta am give me a real world heads before i go and raid the piggy bank!!

Also does the sx have a stronger frame to go with the extra travel?

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’ve got an AM1 and it’s a brilliant bike. Have had a Meta 5.5 and Meta 6 previously and the new AM is simply light years better. It feels like a 4″ travel bike up the hills and then a DH bike on the down side 😀

Have had various Commencals in the past 5 years and the past manufacturing problems HAVE been sorted. Yes there will ALWAYS be failures, similar to every bike brand out there, but the new design that started with the V3 is proving to be pretty bullet proof.

I also got a V3 last year and of the 11 V3’s and 8 Meta AM’s that Ticket2ride have used (including a normally bike wrecking Whistler season), every one is still going strong.

There is only one annoying thing about the bike, but that is curable – the internal cabling looks beautiful BUT they rattle inside the tubes.

You won’t regret your purchase if you get one.

philbert31
    Free Member

So how do you cure the cable rattle (for future ref) as I think I’ve made my mind up 😀

retro83
    Free Member

New one looks good but a bit concerned about the shock location. Any problems in practise?

100mphplus
    Free Member

On the top tube, pull cables tight through frame and put zip ties on the ends of the cables as they exit at headset and near seat post so they hold the cable ‘suspended’ in the tube. It still rattles a little bit but not as obscenely bad as it was.

In the down tube, remove forks and stuff bubble wrap / pipe lagging down main tube.

Bit of a faff but works since the rattle IS ferkin annoying!

Rear shock is a bit exposed to muck from the rear wheel, but that’s not unique to this Manu/design. I made a mudguard from an inner tube that goes Btw the seat tube and swingarm, totally protecting the shock and works a treat.

Did something similar on a Supreme 4 years ago and the bearings lasted 3 years when other people I knew without the ad hoc mud guard where changing bearings every 6 months.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Meta am??’ is closed to new replies.