Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Thule Roof Bars
  • gt900uk
    Free Member

Wondering if someone can help with a query, i just bought a set of roof bars for my car, once fitted you can still see the fitting kit, where it actually attaches to the car all exposed and it looks really untidy. Looking at pictures online it looks like there should be a rubber foot around the base of the footpack to cover this. Can anyone tell me if this part should have come with the footpack or the fixing kit as i didnt get it (and i bought the bits off different suppliers) so i know who to contact i have a 753 footpack with a 3006 fitting kit for a Vauxhall Corsa.

Cougar

TTIUWP.

andyl
    Free Member

I would pop into your local Thule dealer and take a look at their fittings.

footflaps

You’re missing the car specific footpack adaptor kit eg:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=17408

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the footpack and fitting kit, does the fitting kit extend down and go on the roof crease? If so they are correct
    Here’s mine on a fiesta

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/mattzzzzzz/?action=view¤t=43e475b9.jpg&evt=user_media_share

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Just an update after re-reading your post the fitting kit is rubber coated so wont damage your car

gt900uk
    Free Member

Sorry dont have a picture. I have the car specific fixing kit but it has no rubber bits as per the roofbox.co.uk link. Without these the foot kit doesnt actually sit flush with the roof line.

DickBarton

I’d take the kit back to where you got it and ask for the full parts kit…

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

As above, the pads should come with the metal fitting kit

gt900uk
    Free Member

So it sounds like they come as part of the car specific fitting kit. Thanks for the replys i shall send that part back.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Thule says the kit doesnt come with any rubber skirts. Very dissappointed as it looks crap on the car with the gaps. I dont understand how they can cost so much and yet be so poor.

dgr6966
    Free Member

I dont understand how they can cost so much and yet be so poor.

Can’t agree more. I have exactly the same problem having just purchased a set of Thule aero bars for my Corsa. The finish is terrible and the wind noise, which I’m convinced is largely due to the exposed fittings, is appalling. In fact, despite having the bars for less than a month, I find I can stand them no longer and have ordered a set of Prorack Whispbars. They arrived today and are waiting at home so I’ll let you know if they are an improvement. Fingers crossed!

Mark

You mean like this?

07 Corsa

I’ve just fitted them. There’s some new Thule sliding bars on the way for review next week. I have to agree, I was disappointed with the fit and the noise is awful. I have some of the new wing bars to review too. once they are on I’ll be able to tell how much of the noise is due to the feet and how much is due to the current square bars I have on there.

midlifecrashes

Did the fitting kit not come with a rubber shroud to tidy up the gubbins? This is my new setup. Wingbars, 753 footpack and 3030 fit kit for S-max which has bolt holes on the roof. Very quiet compared to square bars I’ve had before, but the mount is much smoother than on the Honda where it hooked into the door recess. Wingbars are wider than the aero bar so need to get T-track adaptors for the bike racks, the loop and bolt isn’t wide enough. The U-bolt for the (Karrite) roof box is wide enough though and went straight on.

Mark

Nope, those skirts were not included in the kit I got for the feet.

I’ll be talking to Thule and I’ll report back with what they say.

eyerideit
    Free Member

+1 for the wingbars – very good indeed

dgr6966
    Free Member

No skirts in the 3006 fitting kit that I was given. 🙁

Mark

From Thule direct.

There is no Skirt for the Corsa.

dgr6966
    Free Member

Well I have unpacked the Whispbars and first impressions are that they are a marked improvement over the Thule aero bar setup. The fitting kit comes with some soft feet that will cover the fixing points in the roof track. I’ll take some pictures when I fit them tomorrow.

colournoise

No ‘skirts’ in our Megane kit either, but didn’t notice huge amounts of noise myself.

Bars are only ever going to be used temporarily 3 or 4 times a year anyway so I can live with what noise there is and a slightly untidy look TBH (hell, a little gap under each foot isn’t going to make the sight of a nice little hot hatch fitted with big ugly roof bars any uglier!).

slainte ➡ rob

dgr6966
    Free Member

I fitted the Whispbars on Saturday morning. They were much easier to fit than the Thule bars. I found it awkward to position the feet on the Thule bars in exactly the right spot so that they dropped on to the fixing points. When fitting the Whispbars you preset the length of the bars and the feet just drop over the fixing points.

In operation the difference is remarkable. Night and day really. I fitted my Thule Proride 591 bike carrier at the same time as the bars but even with that fitted the wind noise, which previously was unbearable, now barely registered above the road and engine noise from my 1.7 CDTi Corsa. I have taken a few pics but haven’t been able to host them anywhere yet. In any case, there are pictures of the actual kit for the Corsa on the Whispbars web site.

Anyone want to buy a set of Thule aero bars for a Corsa D 3/5 door? Didn’t think so.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Thule Roof Bars’ is closed to new replies.