Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Messy house v spotless house v showroom condition house
  • Kryton57

Is it only me that gets annoyed that our house is messy, then more annoyed/paranoid when you visit someone’s house and it’s all tidy, then MORE so when the next house visit reveals a showroom type condition/layout/content?

I’m starting to think I’m lazy with the tidying/decorating, but in reality I’m struggling to see where I’d find the time/money.

Anyone else live in a DIY-pending-kids-toys-clothes-everywhere kind of state?

GrahamS

We struggle to find somewhere to sit down on a regular basis.

We were a bit slovenly before, but two kids really didn’t help the situation!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha, this was our dilema last week, we had the adventure show in filming …..

My house is a pepetual state of diy atm….. As i. The upstairs doors currently live behind the front door,the skirtings from the whole hall at there also, some of my doors downstairs dont have stops on as i run out of wood for that , none of the architraves i have up are stained / varnished , i broke a tile in the floor fitting new door posts…..heres hoping they just show the living room…

Although we do keep it clean

LadyGresley
    Free Member

There’s far more interesting/fun/important things to do in life than housework!

cloudnine
    Free Member

DIY-pending-kids-toys-clothes-everywhere kind of state

Have you been looking in through my windows again?

Kryton57

Re “clean”. It’s not dirty it’s messy, there’s a difference. Although my DIY / decor issues seem small compared to yours trail rat.

ton

clean but lived in is good.
    then the grandkids come………… 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

My house required total renovation – plumbing, boiler , electrics , stripping back to bare bomes , replastering, woodwork …… I think im on the home straight now really. Gotta fit it in around cycling and other fun stuff

uselesshippy
    Free Member

My place looks like a **** squat.

PMK2060

I feel the same sometimes but take comfort in the fact that we have a life as a family. The main the thing for me is that the house is clean. Imo kids should live in a home not a show home.

Hohum
    Free Member

Little and often helps us keep on top of things, but it is difficult with three young children.

loddrik
    Free Member

Our house has been a mess/ongoing renovation project for 11 years. I’m just too lazy to do it.

edhornby

we moved about 18months ago, we have a 3yo and a 6month baby, and the builders have built a new kitchen but only finished just before Christmas… so yeah we’re like that too – ours isn’t filthy there’s just a lot of jobs to do, all the time

benji
    Free Member

Showroom house, to me usually means no other life apart from plumping cushions and keeping up with the neighbours.

I’m happy with a lathe in my kitchen, and a pile of reading material in every room, and plenty of time outside riding/fishing/gardening.

crewlie

We were always going to get things sorted when the kids left and we retired and had more time. 18 months later it’s still a tip….just too much to do that’s so much more interesting.
    It is nice on the few occasions it’s tidy (usually just before we go away, and what’s the point in that!))

brakes
    Free Member

funnily enough, having a kid has made us more tidy.
    just don’t open any cupboards.

takisawa2

We make an effort since we had the kitchen done…

johndoh
    Free Member

Ours is clean now we have employed a cleaner.

wiggles
    Free Member

My place pretty much looks like that ^

Not dirty per say, just messy… Clothes toys etc cover all of the floor/furniture. I feel more like a zoo keeper than a father sometimes

PMK2060

You only live once. Time spent cycling, with family, on holiday and generally having fun is more important than spending all your spare time decorating. Choose life!

Esme
    Free Member

“There’s far more interesting/fun/important things to do in life than housework!”
    Errr yes, LadyGresley . . . I hear you’ve spent a lot of time recently stripping in the lounge 😯

rene59
    Free Member

Only saddos live in showroom houses. All the fun folks live in the unfinished or messy ones.

richmars

I always apply the death bed test. When you’re there, what will you wish you’d done more of? Dusting or riding your bike?

brakes
    Free Member

I guess it depends if your messy* house put you on your deathbed

*dirty

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Ride more, less mess at home.

PePPeR

Shit, if we were going round tidying up, we’d have no time for hanging out on Singletrack,, err I mean cycling!

stuarty
    Free Member

Buy a dog that will sort out the showroom house

ourmaninthenorth

Mainly messy, though pretty clean (we have a cleaner).

Which is really getting on my nerves. I make the same sort if mess in the same place, but Mrs North makes different mess in different places. Consequence is that the house quickly descends into a piggy.

And never mind Miss North who, even at 3, already treats every flat surface as a dumping ground.

I blame the parents.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You’re dead a long time, someone else will tidy up.

miketually
    Free Member

Mess and clutter really bug me. I probably shouldn’t have married someone so messy.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve got bikes in the front room, riding kit hanging off most of the radiators from the commute and the living room and my daughters bedroom seem to have more toys than she or i know what to do with.

There’s also pictures my 3 year old has drawn blue tacked to the walls everywhere.

I wouldn’t have it any other way, the plus side is I quite like hoovering the carpet waaaay more than the laminate flooring in the old house. Weird.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The great thing about getting a neighbour to do the cleaning is that you tidy up ready for the house to be cleaned before she comes every week. 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Confession: in the last few days I’ve been reading blogs on decluttering. Worrying, I know, but I’ve decided if we have less stuff, there’s less to tidy up.

An sick of living in a tip and I want to spend less time dealing with it.

crikey
    Free Member

Love messy houses, me!

Went for a ride with friends of a friend and ended up inadvertently going back to a house that had been trashed by 3 kids, 3 cats and a family life lived to the full. I lay on the carpet after moving the Lego and felt like part of the furniture; houses are like bikes, if they aren’t worn out and used, they should be.

miketually
    Free Member

Confession: in the last few days I’ve been reading blogs on decluttering.

Want some links? 🙂

Before selling our previous house, we got rid of loads. Got rid of half our books last year.

Simon

Very much so but…..

Mess and clutter really bug me. I probably shouldn’t have married moved in with and had kids with someone so messy.

This too. 😐

Sandwich

Only saddos live in showroom houses.

Or serial killers.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Our house is organised mess.

crankboy
    Free Member

For the last three years I have been meaning to do something about 2 patches of blown plaster in our living/dining room but the thought of tidying up enough to get to them keeps putting me off.

rocketman
    Free Member

Our house is quite tidy. It’s never been much more than somewhere to hang our hats so both me and the mrs tend to avoid time-consuming DIY and house-related activities.

It’s clean, it’s tidy, everything works…more time to do the things we enjoy!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Messy house v spotless house v showroom condition house’ is closed to new replies.