Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Merida Silex (or alternatives)… Owners opinions please…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Been umming and ahhing about a gravel bike for bloody ages now. Was tempted to order a Silex when they first came out but the “will you use it?” question kept cropping up in my mind, as previously I’d had a 2015 Whyte Saxon Cross (superb bike except for narrow 35mm tyre clearances on the frame only) that I enjoyed but didn’t use that much.

Fast forward to where we all are now, and well… A gravel bike may very well just save my sanity over the coming weeks/months (and I was gonna get one anyway sooner or later) so…

The Merida Silex… I like the fact it’s clearly designed more as an MTBers gravel bike. My only two concerns are (as I ride road too) is the front end just too tall meaning you can’t ride on the tops at all, and will the max 42mm tyre clearance annoy me? The other bike I’ve been eyeing up is the Sonder Al Camino, but frames are out of stock for weeks and I kinda want this now! Sonder will take 50’s on 700c wheels which appeals for sure… But then the Sonder doesn’t have as much standover and has a 27.2 post not a 30.9 and I want to add a dropper post ASAP, not that 27.2 droppers aren’t available but it limits choice. I had also considered a Whyte Gisburn/Friston as a natural progression from the Saxon Cross I had, but the seat tube length limits a potential dropper for me unless I size down sadly.

Any other suggestions?

A list of needs/wants…

-Longer/lower/slacker geometry ideal… Within reason. Nothing that needs a 110mm stem and 72+ head angles are out!
    -Able to take a dropper post of some sort. This limits seat tube height to around 530mm for me to be able to get a 100mm drop post on. I’m 5ft10.5 and normally ride a medium-large depending on brand in MTB and a 55-56cm road bike frame.
    -Preferably fits 700x50c Tyres (though change my mind that 40’s are big enough if that is the case!). No 650b though thanks… 700c only.
    -Preferably SRAM 1×11 but I will consider other gearing options.
    -Tubeless ready wheels
    -Full hydraulic brakes not cable.
    -Available to buy immediately from somewhere I can pay them online or over the phone.

This bike is primarily going to be used for 1-2hr rides from home, even when the Coronavirus subsides, I have no plans for multi-day rides or any bike packing etc. It just needs to be fun for a couple of hours at a time.

Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Nobody…?

johnnystorm

Surly Midnight Special, All City Gorilla Monsoon, Salsa Journeyman, Warbird or Cutthroat. Also Bombtrack Hook range. Keep-pedalling in Manchester stock all of the above.

Not sure if they fit all/many of your criteria but they are all good bikes. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Nobody with a Silex…?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My lbs sells merida, silex seems to sell better than anything else they have, even the bianchis.

Never rode one, sorry!.

mboy
    Free Member

Where’s your LBS nobeer…? I speak to a lot of Merida dealers (when allowed, I’m stuck at home at the moment but day job I’m on the road) and most seem to find the Silex a hard sell, which I find surprising, but I guess no matter how good it is, a lot of people just won’t buy a mainstream brand unless it says Specialized or Trek on it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ACS in Prestwick mboy, he’s been selling Merida for years though, you’ll see more Merida road bikes and hybrids round here than any other brand.

It’s an old school bike shop that folk trust.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Merida Silex (or alternatives)… Owners opinions please…?’ is closed to new replies.