Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mercury Music Prize Nominations
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

…are as follows

Biffy Clyro
    Corinne Bailey Rae
    Foals
    I Am Kloot
    Laura Marling
    Dizzee Rascal
    Villagers
    Paul Weller
    Kit Downes Trio
    Mumford & Sons
    Wild Beasts
    The xx

I'd like it to be Foals, it's one of my favourites of this year and a very impressive record.

I fear however it will be the grandad-shirted, waistcoat wearing, faux-folk pretentious shite peddled by Mr Mumford and his friends

dirtyrider
    Free Member

it will be The XX

grievoustim
    Free Member

i've only heard the XX, wild beasts, I am kloot and laura marling

all good – the XX are the "new portishead" I think – which means I will find them unlistenable in 12 months time once they appear in the background of every TV show and advert going

I can't predict who will win – but I am sure it won't be Mumford and Son

DezB
    Free Member

Weller? Big up for promoting new music MMP!

I very dull list, IMO.

atlaz
    Free Member

If it's bloody Mumford and Sons I'm never paying any attention to the MMP again as it's clearly not a "best of British music" thing, it's a "best of British marketing" thing.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Dizzee Rascal, seriously WTF ?

satsoma
    Free Member

I've got my money on The XX

Aristotle
    Free Member

No Speach debelle this year?

Scandalous.

-that it got anywhere near the shortlist last year.

Actually, who cares about awards anyway?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

in the background of every TV show and advert going

That's already happening!

I do like it though. It's been a slow burner – must have been out for at least a year now no? Also, easy to pick up on guitar which I like!

CountZero

I like Mumford and Son, and it has nothing to do with 'marketing'. I heard them on LaLa's show on 6Music doing a live session before the album came out, liked what I heard and bought the album when it came out. It's not their fault that they've become flavour of the month for tv continuity 'bed' music, the same thing happened to Portishead, Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire…
    Mumford and Son were touring as Laura Marling's backing band two years ago when I first saw her, now they're both becoming popular at the same time. Just one of those things. I'm sure the same will happen with I Am Kloot, who's been around forever; five albums in and he'll be an overnight sensation, same as happened with Elbow. It's the way of the music biz.

MSP

Never heard of any of them other than Paul Weller before, having just spent sometime on youtube I think the "foals" are the only ones with a hint of originality about them.
    XX would be the new portishead, if portishead had had no talent and made crap songs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dizzee is great, but his album's not all that.

The XX sound the same on all their tracks. I only just started liking Portishead this year btw, god I used to be so stuck up about music.

Foals are interesting. Wouldn't mind hearing the album, I don't think they're best experienced on a PC speaker as they seema bit trebley anyway.

Mumford & sons are not my cup of tea AT ALL, but I doubt they'll win anyway, too twee.

I think it's good that there's always acts that I haven't heard of in there, it's not nearly so industry driven as the BRITs.

brick
    Free Member

I Am Kloot

xc-steve
    Free Member

Although I'd happily admit I'm a Dizzy fan but really DIZZY? Where's plan B? I blame Coco? NERO?

Surprised Dizzee Rascal made the list and Tinie Tempah didn't.

Pass Out is better than anything Mr Rascal has done over the last 12 months.

warton
    Free Member

I am kloot should win. They make the most beautiful music, and IMOP are the best british band of the last 10 years. the get better album after album.

Seeing them in October, so excited already

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mercury Music Prize Nominations’ is closed to new replies.