• This topic has 52 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Mens fashion..
  • meehaja
    Free Member

So, for the last 20 years I’ve pretty much dressed like a drug dealer/skater. This has suited me fine, work has always involved a uniform (apart from 3 months where I did the shirt and tie thing in an office where everyone else wore jeans and polo shirts.)

My smart/casual is jeans, tight polo shirt and nice shoes.

What should a man of 30, professional, father of one and husband be wearing this autumn?

yossarian
    Free Member

<rubs knees>

A uniform you say? Are you cabin crew?

meehaja
    Free Member

nothing that flashy, just good old fashioned NHS pleb!

matt_outandabout

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeUAso9rx-E[/video]

nealglover
    Free Member

What should a man of 30, professional, father of one and husband be wearing this autumn?

Whatever you like.

binners

At this time of year, real men where speedo’s and a rugged look, as they stare wistfully into the middle distance.

If the temperature dips below freezing, a sarong and a flat cap are botg acceptable

Rorschach
    Free Member

Still got a couple of months till the shorts come off……Long sleeve t-shirt weather now though (@39)

McHamish
    Free Member

drug dealer/skater

== my attire.

I’m going to a seminar in November and it said the dress code was ‘corporate casual’, asked my wife what that was…

I have none of those things…other than the jeans, but mine have holes and tears, and are generally knackered.

wwaswas

Men fashion is very interesting thing and it is always different thing from women fashion…

There’s often a lot less dresses involved for a start.

titusrider
    Free Member

fashion == not worth worrying about
    style == what I aspire to

just stick to simple well fitting stuff in good fabrics

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

anything but Boden – it’s OK for women and kids but the blokes stuff is only suitable for Herberts

Klunk
    Free Member
    messiah
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what you wear if you get the hair right :mrgreen:

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s all about heritage brands for AW12

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what you “youfs” are wearing these days but us 40-somethings are allowed to rock the old geography teacher look (but I do try to ensure my slacks/cords are long enough and that I don’t smell.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hoodie/fleece, tee and jeans, with trail shoes. Beanie if cold. My whole life.

SaxonRider

messiah, I actually don’t mind the old Geography teacher look. Cords are perfetcly comfortable, and a jacket and tie, worn in such a way so as not to be confused with a banker, looks quite good.

messiah
    Free Member

I agree SaxonRider… there was no irony ironing in my post 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

fewer

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Well fitted jeans, cords, chinos (maybe). Brogues or desert boots. Dress shirt. Nice cardigan or sweater. Tweed jacket or a suit jacket. Maybe a bunnet. The geography teacher look is all good.

ton

i once went for a pint with a few mate’s, one of which commented that i looked like a gypsy scrap dealer.
    i was wearing brogues, cords and a arran cardigan……….. 😆

miketually
    Free Member

I’m a 35-year-old, professional, father of two and husband.

For casual, I wear:
    Feet: trainers, outdoory trainers or skate-style trainers
    Legs: jeans (washed every 6 months whether they need it or not)
    Top: T-shirt or shirt (often short-sleeved and/or checked). Hoody if it’s cold.

For work, I wear:
    Feet: skate-style trainers
    Legs: jeans (washed every 6 months whether they need it or not)
    Top: shirt (often short-sleeved and/or checked)

For ‘smart’, I wear:
    Feet: some black boots
    Legs: some black trousers
    Top: formal shirt

MrSmith
    Free Member

picked up a nice waxed millerain reefer by private white yesterday, perfect for the geography teacher on field trip look and a bit more exclusive than the barbour/belstaff jackets that are the done thing these days.

anything that doesn’t suggest you work in an office doing powerpoint all day is a step in the right direction as long as it’s not let down by poor quality footwear. 8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

i once went for a pint with a few mate’s, one of which commented that i looked like a gypsy scrap dealer.
    i was wearing brogues, cords and a arran cardigan………..

that’s the hipster zeitgeist right there, i expect to see you on the front cover of vice magazine next.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYI3CjRrtjg[/video]

bruneep

What ever you were make sure you wear Red Trousers

Coyote
    Free Member

Very similar to miketually…

Outside work:
    Feet: skate-style trainers or boots
    Legs: jeans or shorts
    Top: T-shirt or shirt. Fleece or hoody if it’s cold.

For work, I wear suit and boots.

For ‘smart’, I wear pretty much the same as outside work but at a real push I’ll do boots, trousers and shirt. Don’t really do “smart”.

46 y/o IT Support Manager, married with children.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    BobaFatt
    Free Member
    mogrim

I just go to Zara and get whatever the wife tells me I look good in. Saves time in the long run.

mcboo
    Free Member

messiah, I actually don’t mind the old Geography teacher look. Cords are perfetcly comfortable, and a jacket and tie, worn in such a way so as not to be confused with a banker, looks quite good.

Scarily I’m a banker and this is exactly what I’m wearing.

The tie – go for a knitted wool or silk tie. It adds a youthful air of joie de vivre to a chap of any age.

Seriously, Mr Porter.com is your friend, their sales are tremendous. Just sort sort by the colour of whatever you are looking for. You never have to go near a shop again once you have a good idea of your size compared to them.

http://www.mrporter.com/

jools182
    Free Member

That Mr Porter site

Do their hats come supplied with a hammer for when they nail it on?

£100 for a polo, £265 for a pair of jeans

redted
    Free Member

I recently had to buy loads of new stuff due to weight loss. I hate clothes shopping with a passion so you have my sympathy. I found Gap to be great, nothing too fashionable, but reasonably stylish and timeless. loads of easy to put together stuff and sensible prices.
    they sell online now which is great because i know all my sizes in there stuff and can take advantage of offers etc and never venture into shops again for the time being.

Lifer
    Free Member

Boba Fatt – Member
    makes me laugh every time I think of it

+1, I have to announce ‘f*****g red trousers!’ when ever I see a pair now. Got some funny looks from my gran when my grandad was wearing some. That was an awesome day.

scaled
    Free Member

£1250 for a jumper REALLY? :s

mcboo
    Free Member

Seriously, Mr Porter.com is your friend, their sales are tremendous

We’re talking 70% off tremendous. And no I wouldnt buy a jumper for over a grand either ’cause i’m not a total muppet. But for shirts, polos, shoes, cords its a great site.

jambalaya
    Free Member

30 is still young, you have a lot of flexibility – you dress up (older more serious) or down (younger more casual). Really hard to advise as we don’t know you or where you like to hang out.

I’d say shoes (eg suede loafers, leather jodpur style boots) over trainers, loose fitting shirt (bright party style print or checked outdoor type) looser fitting polo over tight. Jeans are good, upgrade to an upmarket brand over skater types. As above a casual jacket with jeans really dresses things up.

As an online browse have a look at Boden for example

miketually
    Free Member

I’m a banker

Mr Porter.com is your friend

£100 for a polo, £265 for a pair of jeans

We’re all in this together 😉

Solo
    Free Member

£1250 for a jumper REALLY?

I’ve got a pair of socks you can have for £750.

CountZero

At the moment I’m wearing a pair of Howies jeans, can’t remember the style, crash test, or something like that, they’re for riding in, anyway, with a Shorty’s tee and a heavyweight Uniqlo red and black flannel shirt. When I go down the pub for dinner later, the ensemble will be completed with a pair of army issue Meindle desert boots, as worn by our troops in Afghanistan, and a Belstaff Trailmaster, ‘cos its bloody wet down here,
    Just what every 57yo bloke on holiday in the countryside wears.
    And at home, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Mens fashion..’ is closed to new replies.