Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Megneg for Rockshox Deluxe – anyone using one?
  • joebristol

As above really – has anyone tried the Megneg on their Rockshox Deluxe? I e got the rt3 version with open / pedal platform / firm settings.

I’m currently running it with 2 tokens in it and I’m not quite bottoming it out as far as I can tell.

I’ve either got a setting pressure wise where it feels controlled through the mid stroke but it can be a bit brutal on rocky trails (it was a bit punishing around CYB MBR and Tawr Du a few weekends ago), or I can slightly whiz through a big chunk of travel before ramping up towards the end. At the moment I’m at the latter stage which feels lovely and plush but on pedally trails I’d prefer a bit more of s compromise where there’s a bit more ‘pop’.

Is this what the Megneg is for?

geex
    Free Member

not really
    a poppy set-up needs firmer support so is rarely ever STW sissy wrists “plush”

yes. I’ve tried megneg.
    too strungover to describe it tho

joebristol

Strungover?

I guess I’m looking for a compromise between really plush and slightly soggy and battering my ‘sissy wrists / ankles’.

geex
    Free Member

it does what RS description says it does

yes.

Strungover

google “STRUNK”

scary_carey
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve just got one! And it’s marvellous. I sent the shock to TF Tuned with a view to getting the Vorsprung Tractive being fitted but the engineer said to get the Megneg as it would do what I wanted far better than the Tractive system.
    I was having similar issues to your self, but my main issue was no mid support unless the pressure was mega might. The Megneg has solved this problem and I now have so much more compliance and grip from the back end of the bike.
    I’d defo recommend it!

LAT

“William Strunk Jr. was an American professor of English at Cornell University and author of The Elements of Style. After revision and enlargement by his former student E. B. White, it became a highly influential guide to English usage during the late 20th century, commonly called Strunk & White.”

according to Wikipedia

geex
    Free Member

Try urban dictionary

wikipedia was written by a cantankerous old man who rides a tandem

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my super deluxe. If you are running 2 tokens then I think it will work well. The increase in pressure means it will give you more mid stroke support and therefore be harder to bottom out so you can run 0 tokens. The increase in negative air will give you the plush beginning of the stroke. It just seems like you don’t have to compromise so much on the set up. In my opinion it was well worth the money to try out and I’m definitely keeping mine.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack, but just been out for the day on my new bronson with the super deluxe ultimate on it. Very early days but I get the sense that it’s going to be a shock that’s a bit of a PITA to get how I want it. Running 30% sag, but not that supple off the top and seems to stiffen up on long rocky down hills and hook up on everything. It’s like its over damped on the HSC. Any tips or thoughts on a MegNeg helping?

1timmy1
    Free Member

It should help with the suppleness off the top, but I have not ridden enough rough sections yet to see how it performs over sustained hits. Do you think your shock needs bedding in a bit?

geex
    Free Member

try 27% sag and one click less rebound Sofa boy

😉

joebristol

I’d give it a chance to break in a bit – as it’s brand new it will have tight seals.

My deluxe rt3 is plush and very sensitive and I’d expect the super deluxe to be similar but better.

Do you know if there are any tokens in your shock?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

@1timmy1 yes, undoubtedly needs some bedding in as fresh out the box, but still surprised how wooden it feels

@joebristol
    not check the spacers yet, I believe they come with 3 installed as standard.

Too early to do anything drastic, plan to take 10 or so psi for next ride and rebalance the positive and negative chambers and see how I go and then have a play with the tokens. My impressions are likely skewed from coming off a nomad 3 with an X2 which was super plush

joebristol

If the shock has got 3 tokens in it that’s a lot and would explain why it’s feeling wooden once it gets well into the travel. Mine came with none installed and I’ve gone the other way adding some. Try one adjustment at a time as said – drop the psi a bit and see if that helps.

If it’s the same as the deluxe it’s very easy to add / remove tokens.

walleater

I’ve got one on mt Super Deluxe and can only mimic what others and RS say. Moar supple off the top and better mid stroke support. I never use the firm setting on climbs any more as the mid setting gives plenty of support. Maybe your frame has a very progressive suspension curve though? RS are at pains (verbally at least) to point out that the MN won’t work on all frame designs. If you are having trouble bottom out, I’d take the advice of a decent suspension tuner and tell them what frame you have.

pembo6
    Free Member

This guy has done a few video reviews of the Meg neg and Luftcappe.
    MTB Telly on YouTube.

youtu.be/NokMfGc7sqk

oikeith

Kinda linked, I had the new airshaft put in some older lyriks and it has transformed them, small bump and mid stroke support improved. If they got the airshaft for the forks right, I would be sure they got the megneg right.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrect, however if any one is thinking of a MegNeg I’d heartily recommend it.

Couldn’t get the super deluxe on my bronson V3 feeling good what ever I did. Either felt harsh & wooden or wallowy & slow with no sweet spot in the middle.

Had first ride after fitting the Megneg yesterday – night & day difference. More progression, lots more mid stroke support and more supple off the top. Plenty of tuning to do on it as I suspect it’s got more to give, but first go has made a new bike I wasn’t loving feel amazing

joemmo
    Free Member

I’ve had one on my deluxe for about 3 months. No tokens, 2 bands and about 10psi more than previously. It basically does what it claims to but I’m going to try with no bands and see how that goes.

joebristol

Joemmo- exactly the same as me.
    Bike feels more plush, and it’s not bottoming out. Maybe could still do with a bit more support in the middle – I set it up with 2 bands in and a bit more pressure than before.

Think I’m going to whip out those 2 bands and try it with the biggest negative airspring setting and see how that feels.

ogden
    Free Member

What bikes are you running the megneg on?

joemmo
    Free Member

Bird Aeris 120 (130 travel) for me. If I’m not mistaken joebristol has an Aeris 145 🙂

sam1988
    Free Member

I’m wanting one for my whyte t130. If I use a gnar dog and one token it doesn’t ramp up enough and bottoms out a little to much. Add more pressure and it gets harsh. A gnar dog and 2 normal tokens I can lower the pressure and its very plush but doesn’t use all the travel

joemmo
    Free Member

With that much volume taken up I’d imagine it ramps up pretty hard so a MegNeg could work well. Also makes sense on shorter travel bikes as you want full value out of whatever travel your bike has

joebristol

Bird Aeris 120 (130 travel) for me. If I’m not mistaken joebristol has an Aeris 145 🙂

Yep, a 145 with the long travel linkage to 160mm travel 😝

knahallaco
    Free Member

Sofaboy,
    I just got a Bronson V3 and wouldn’t mind better small bump compliance, though, it’s a big improvement over the V2. I guess my biggest concern is that the megneg will feel too harsh in the last third of the travel, basically the opposite of what I’m experiencing now. Right now I have no trouble getting full travel and don’t want to let any air out to make small bump feel better because then I’d bottom out more often. How would you describe the feel when you get to the end of the travel?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

@knahallaco

No issues with the last 3rd of the travel with the MegNeg, it’s made it feel better. Previously to stop it bottoming our all the time I was running 3.5 tokens (1 normal and a gnardog) but it felt harsh and choppy and hooked up on everything. If I dropped the PSI it felt better but lacked mid stroke support and sucked all momentum out of the bike.

Now running 2.5 tokens (about to drop it to 2) and 3 bands out of 4 in the -ve chamber. The first 5 mins of riding it I didn’t think it had made much difference as still felt firm, but as soon as I got into the ride realised it was just having loads more mid stroke support but in a way that it still effectively used the travel. Only bottomed our once on a big hit and didn’t feel harsh. Officially the top of the stroke felt more supple as well. Manages to make the bike feel taught and firm but still track the ground well and give plenty of traction. Choppy harsh feeling has gone

For £90 it’s deff worth a punt

knahallaco
    Free Member

@sofaboy73
    Thanks for the detailed response, might go this route. I’ll give it a little longer to see if things settle in a bit. Was thinking of adding a gnardog and dropping the psi to try and get a little more sensitivity off the top, but sounds like this may not be the way to go.
    Am I correct in thinking that the bands in the negative chamber reduce how extreme the ramp up is?

joebristol

The bands reduce the size of the negative spring I think – so leaves the positive spring bigger – and therefore less quick ramp up maybe? Also the smaller negative spring with more bands makes the start of the stroke less soft so less pressure needed?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I forgot we had a riding god in our midst, who can make such useful suggestions.

JP

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I forgot we had a riding god in our midst, who can make such useful suggestions.

@jjprestidge

Eh?

sam1988
    Free Member

Managed to fit on of these on my whyte t130. I’ve opted for one positive and one negative token as no idea where to start off from. Gone from 160psi to 200psi to get 30 percent sag. Not had the chance to ride yet, quick driveway bounce shows it takes very little force to get the shock to move and ramps up alot more. Looking forward to getting on the trail with it

joebristol

I’ve done a few rides now since putting the Megneg on. Still running 2 bands in the can and no tokens. No harsh bottom outs and I think the bike is sitting a little higher in its travel. Tempted to take the 2 bands out and try it with the biggest possible negative spring and see how that feels.

carlos
    Free Member

@Sofaboy73

No issues with the last 3rd of the travel with the MegNeg, it’s made it feel better. Previously to stop it bottoming our all the time I was running 3.5 tokens (1 normal and a gnardog) but it felt harsh and choppy and hooked up on everything. If I dropped the PSI it felt better but lacked mid stroke support and sucked all momentum out of the bike.

Now running 2.5 tokens (about to drop it to 2) and 3 bands out of 4 in the -ve chamber. The first 5 mins of riding it I didn’t think it had made much difference as still felt firm, but as soon as I got into the ride realised it was just having loads more mid stroke support but in a way that it still effectively used the travel. Only bottomed our once on a big hit and didn’t feel harsh. Officially the top of the stroke felt more supple as well. Manages to make the bike feel taught and firm but still track the ground well and give plenty of traction. Choppy harsh feeling has gone

Just in the midst of messing about with a Meg Neg on a Bronson V3. It came set up with a 2.5 token but now I’ve fitted the meg neg the set up is as follows –
    2x negative bands
    2x positive tokens
    260psi to achieve 30% sag (rider weight 82kg kitted up)
    1 click of lsc (turned back one click from all the way negative)
    4 clicks rebound (turned from hare to tortoise)

What pressure and sag have you settled on?

Carlos

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Megneg for Rockshox Deluxe – anyone using one?’ is closed to new replies.