Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Megaavalanche 2018
  • sheshred
    Free Member

I need Megavalanche advice. Who is all going??? Anybody know anyone who is going and might have a spare seat in a van/vehicle and share fuel/ferry costs? Also any good campsites in and around Le Deux Alpes? Can you survive out there without a vehicle? Do they have secure bike storage? It has just dawned on me that I am heading to the wildest race in the world on my own.. Eeeeeek..

dirkpitt74

Nothing to add advice wise, but good luck!

Wish I had the skill/bravery to take it on.

andrewh
    Free Member

I went alone (although met my now-wife the day after the event). Not really an issue, everyone there is really friendly and not speaking French wasn’t a problem

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but it looked like fun. I’m a half decent 24hr racer but had never done any sort of DH race before in my life. Totally out of my depth but loved it, despite it being that horrifically wet one of 2014. I did have a vehicle though 🙂

Full story here.     http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/megavalanche-whole-soggy-saga.html?m=1

kimbers

If you’re not based in all dhuez .you’ll need a vehicle to get there to check start time after quali and possibly a way to get up there v early for start of main race, camping in allemont at bottom of balley was always good, long way up on race day but straight on the beers when u finish!

Not dind it since 2014 which was.my 4th o e, sonetsome about that one out me off !  (I also now have kids so not so easy!)

kimbers

If you’re not based in all dhuez .you’ll need a vehicle to get there to check start time after quali and possibly a way to get up there v early for start of main race, camping in allemont at bottom of balley was always good, long way up on race day but straight on the beers when u finish!

Not done it since 2014 which was my 4th one, something about that one put me off !  (I also now have kids so not so easy!)

plumber
    Free Member

Great thing to do once in your life, I wouldn’t do it again though 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ve entered. Flights booked but no accommodation. I would have thought there will be a lot of snow this year after the winter the Alps have had!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Great thing to do once in your life, I wouldn’t do it again though

Done it a couple of times now, first one with Plumber, second with family in tow. Thinking about doing it again next year maybe.

wildest race in the world

…it isn’t wild at all in terms of the riding, just the atmosphere on the startline and the pressure of fighting for position and taking the limited opportunities to overtake. It’s mostly just xc and very pedally! The novelty value of the glacier and mass start is what differentiates it more than anything else.

Stayed in campsite in valley bottom on first time. If you do this you’ll need a vehicle to get up to AdH every day.

Second time around stayed in AdH. This worked much better from a logistics point of view as lifts will get you around without need ing the car but accommodation will be in high demand now. I’d be surprised if anything left.

A lot of folk camp in the field below the DMC lift. Not officially sanctioned but tolerated.

mugsys_m8

OP: Bear in mind les deux alpes, and l’Alpe d’Huez are 2 different resorts…

Megavalanche is at l’Ape d’Huez.

Northwind

Speak to Moray, he’s an addict

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Megaavalanche 2018’ is closed to new replies.