Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mech / cassette compatibly?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Looking at an 11-50t Sunrace MX80 cassette upgrade. Any issues with this now working well with an XT M8000 long cage mech?

Also, will upgrade the chain too. There now seems to be many Chinese options for chains, which I’d assume are re-branded versions of themselves? Would you buy one, of would you stick with something like KCNC?

nixie

The 46t version works fine with that mech. 50t is quite a long way over the max size Shimano quote.

For chains in stick to something you have heard of. KMC have always been good in my experience.

Jordan

Works fine, might need a longer B screw can’t remember if I needed one. Sram 1170 chain works well with that combo.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The 46t version works fine with that mech. 50t is quite a long way over the max size Shimano quote.

This seems to be what I’m reading too…. the 11 speed m8000 maxes out at 46t but the 12 speed XT works fine with a wide ratio 50t

And a longer B screw widens the max range so the 11 speed mech works OK with an 11 speed wide ratio? I prefer this option over a new mech/cassette/chain tbh.

I suppose another option is to drop the 32t front and go to a 30t?

Jordan

@aphex_2k that’s the exact combo I am talking about. Sunrace 11-50, XT M8000 long cage 11 speed mech. Fitted to OH’s bike two years ago and working perfectly ever since. I remember buying a longer b-screw but just had a look and it looks like I used the standard one screwed almost all the way in. I would maybe buy a longer screw just in case though.

Matt_SS_xc

Myself and GF both run that set up with no problems. No modifications, standard B screw.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

As usual my lazy / procrastination “more research” I’ve not bought anything yet. Umming and ahhing over new chain and cassette of 28t oval ring up front as I think this would give similar ratios / more winchy-ness in lower gears, plus cheaper?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mech / cassette compatibly?’ is closed to new replies.