Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MBR Black Mountains Classic vs local knowledge
  • Alpha1653

Anyone got any thoughts on this route?

Big Black Mountains Classic, Wales route

MBR has it going clockwise but looking at an OS map (how old skool!) it seems there are plenty of other options which it seems to avoid. Any locals got any local knowledge or variations they fancy sharing??

Alpha1653

Anyone?!

welshfarmer

I can tell you all you need to know but I am on my phone and find typing on it a pita sorry

DrP

Is this the one that’s basically three big ups and downs?

We did it a few years ago.. Clockwise.. Big day out on the bike, with a bit of pushing from the car park at the beginning…
    Glad I did it. Wouldn’t do it again though…!
    Didn’t really make me go wow I guess…

DrP

si77

Only done it once and that was a anticlockwise. I reckon clockwise would be better.

Tinners

Done it many times – freezing cold weather to boiling hot May ride when we ran out of water. One of my all time favourite rides. Start and end at the Bear (preferably stay overnight – they’re very mtb friendly and will store bikes – ending with a few beers and a steak. This is the best time of the year to do it. It’s easy to get lost in the forest section. Great descent at the top of the Das. There used to be a great video of the descent from Das on YouTube (called “Bearded Man” I think). Do it. You’ll love it.

Tinners

PS clockwise not anti-clockwise

Alpha1653

Excellent, thanks guys. I’m after a big day out away from trail centres as I’ve been given an all day pass! I’ve not been properly into the hills for far too long…hopefully this will scratch the itch! Don’t fancy the Gap, it’s a classic but that box has already been ticked.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MBR Black Mountains Classic vs local knowledge’ is closed to new replies.