Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 323 total)
  • Mayweather Vs McGregor
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Yes he said the nate fight set his family up for life this dwarves that. Lose like everyone expects and he never has to fight again. Win and well who knows

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh – is McGregor fighting to MMA rules?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Everything says Mayweather should win. He’s never lost, he’s the GOAT, incredible defensive boxer…. On the other hand McGregor is younger, is bigger, longer reach and has something about him. There’s no way in hell he should win, but if he did, I wouldnt be that surprised.

funkmasterp

I used to practice various martial arts in my youth and joined a boxing gym, mainly for the brilliant training regime. The guy that ran it thought I had some promise (which was nice of him) and convinced me to get in the ring and spar. As soon as those boxing gloves were on and the rules were laid out I was done for. It was embarrassing and frustrating in equal measure. Very, very different when you can’t grab, kick, lock or elbow 😥

At least it should be more entertaining than when Ali fought that Muay Thai guy.

dragon
    Free Member

Hopefully Mayweather will destroy him, so this nonsense never happens again. But I suspect the whole thing might be rigged and more like something from WWE.

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1JWg0RhU6w[/video]

somafunk

It’d be a better fight if McGregor was allowed to kick, i imagine it’d be over within one round.

[video]https://youtu.be/oWC6x4Qqwe4[/video]

(i know it’s joe rogan above but the power of those kicks – jeez 😯 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

it will have the same level of farce but with less actual fighting

Jamie
    Free Member

(i know it’s joe rogan above but the power of those kicks – jeez )

Joe Rogan can kick.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_nyuuuJjh0[/video]

somafunk

I’ve watched a vid of Joe Rogan kicking another fighter clean across a boxing ring and over the ropes but i can’t find it anywhere, i know he sometimes sounds like a “typical Bro” but he can certainly back up his bro talk with action

ctk
    Free Member

Mcgregor boxed 12 rounds with Malinaggi and came on strong in the last 2, must have been working on his cardio as said above he gassed out against Diaz.

If McGregor lasts til the end its a victory of sorts. Mcgregor has got amazing power and precision in his left hand but Floyd is so difficult to hit.

Its on radio 5 for above poster who is camping.

mooman
    Free Member

Even knowledgeable boxers, people who have been cited as credible voices have mentioned that they expect he will use groin kicks or resort to headbutts

Obviously they not that knowledgeable because there is a clause in the contract which states McGregor losing the purse if he resorts to such tactics.

It’s merely a show for the clueless armchair MMA fans. Floyd wins this as he pleases; only uncertainty is if he knocks McGregor out in the first rnd – or lets it go till the later rounds to sell a rematch as MMA rules … for even more money.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s merely a show for the clueless armchair MMA fans.

Good shout. And when McGregor gets schooled they can take solace in telling anyone who will or more likely won’t listen that ‘Mayweather wouldn’t last 10 seconds in an MMA fight’ blah blah blah….

I definitely won’t be watching because

1. I couldn’t give a toss about McGregor. He shouldn’t be anywhere near a professional boxing ring. He should have to do the miles in the amateur ranks like everyone else.

2. Floyd really shouldn’t be lowering himself to this level, although he is earning big money. It is a missmatch on a ridiculous scale.

3. I love boxing, it deserves better than this.

It can produce things like this…

[video]https://youtu.be/AZP-IfSZxl0[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

Oh my god so salty, so bitter. Now I’m starting to see where all this blatant misinformation is coming from – the entire legitimacy of boxing is at stake here. If McGregor even goes the distance the jig is up and the genie is out of the bottle. MMA fighters have skill and aren’t just brawlers/thugs etc

loddrik
    Free Member

jimjam
    Free Member

Original too 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh my god so salty, so bitter.

ad hom shoot the messenger

Now I’m starting to see where all this blatant misinformation is coming from

what misinformation?why dont you just correct it with facts

– the entire legitimacy of boxing is at stake here.

Its had greater lows than this [ have you seen the Olympics and the scandals there ?]but i dont think anyone has said this

If McGregor even goes the distance the jig is up and the genie is out of the bottle.

what genie exactly? that MMA fans will find out Mayweather outboxes folk and wins on points – plenty here predicting it goes the distance . I get your scorn I dont know what point you are trying to make here.

MMA fighters have skill and aren’t just brawlers/thugs etc

True however they are not capable of outboxing the greatest defensive boxer of his generation and none of them can win world titles at boxing.

I am not sure what you find so controversial about the later statement could you explain ?

Fantombiker

My guess is some sort draw, or controversial loss, ready for re-match, after all it’s about the money, right?

muggomagic

Think boxing and MMA die hards are making too much of this. It’s entertainment. I doubt it’ll be a classic, but it’s going to be interesting none the less.
    You can’t blame McGregor for wanting this. He’s never going to earn this sort of money in UFC. The fights only happening because Mayweather needs the money.

mefty
    Free Member

Mayweather’s got a slice of the advertising spend apparently so it ain’t going to finish too early.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve seen the sparring with malignalli and it looked ok to me..

Jamie
    Free Member

The funny thing is most boxing fans tune in to Mayweather fights to see him lose as he’s such an unlikeable and boring fighter.

Now they’re having to support him as the alternative is to see boxing collapse in on itself.

*cue boxing fans posting to say they watched his fights for the excitement*

loddrik
    Free Member

Mayweather needs the money.

Erm, no he don’t!!!!!

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

what misinformation?why dont you just correct it with facts

I was referring to people like Lennox Lewis implying McGregor will resort to kicks when he realises he can’t outbox Mayweather, or Jim Gray saying McGregor is more used to knees to the groin, fingers in the eyes and getting kicked in the head in “the mma”.

what genie exactly? that MMA fans will find out Mayweather outboxes folk and wins on points – plenty here predicting it goes the distance . I get your scorn I dont know what point you are trying to make here.

Genie re the casual viewers who abandoned boxing pay per views. Boxing has had an ok year but even in a down year for the UFC they are still getting 600-800,000 ppv buys every month. This fight will have more eyes on it than any other in history, if McGregor can even go the distance it’s a moral victory for mma.

True however they are not capable of outboxing the greatest defensive boxer of his generation and none of them can win world titles at boxing.

I am not sure what you find so controversial about the later statement could you explain ?

McGregor doesn’t have to outbox (in technical terms) Mayweather. He has to survive 12 rounds. Even if Mcgregor has concocted a Machiavellian game plan which could actually see him winning he won’t be trying to outbox Floyd in any traditional sense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How will this result , if he wins, make boxing collapse in on itself exactly?

They are definitely technically brilliant yet aesthetically dull as can be.

I dont care if he does lose tbh but I just cannot see it happening in this one. Its a show of a fight that has more appeal to MMA fans than Boxing ones we can read into that fact what we want.

muggomagic

loddrik – Member

Mayweather needs the money.

Erm, no he don’t!!!!![/quote]

Yeah he does

Jamie
    Free Member
    ctk
    Free Member

Will McGregor fight in UFC again? Seems like the seed is sewn for a Mallinaggi fight.
    I’d love to see Mcgregor fight for his title a couple of times, but what are the UFC willing to pay him?

loddrik
    Free Member

Better to just wait for this…

Jamie
    Free Member

Time for embedded. For non UFC fans, on fight week there is a mini behind the scenes doc everyday on YT.

[video]https://youtu.be/IWe1MMO5CWk[/video]

jedi

best three rounds of boxing hs got to be haggler v hearns eh?
    the boxer in me says notorious has no chance against pretty much the best boxer i have seen but……. mcgregor has timing and power and is worth a bet in the first four rounds.
    i love mma and boxing. floyd has been rocked a few times in his career and has brittle hands hence the style change a few years back but he can bang too. interesting fight i say

muggomagic

Exactly Tony. In combat sports you’ve always got a chance no matter how slim.
    Thing is we are all assuming that Mayweather is the same fighter, but he’s not fought for 2 years.
    We all assume we know what’s going to happen in this fight, but the interest for me is seeing just what does happen.

warton
    Free Member

I think McGregor wins. I think it will be over in two to three.

Mcgregor isn’t going to take a traditional boxing stance, he’ll be very loose, and very quick in and out, almost adopting a karate stance. Mayweather won’t have dealt with anything like it in his life.

I think McGregor walks forward, and If Mayweather walks forward too, it won’t last a round, either way. If Mayweather tries to walk backwards, and soak it up I don’t think he handles McGregor’s power. Boxers don’t cut weight like MMA fighters. Mayweather walks round at 150 / 152. McGregor walks round at 170. that is a huge difference in the ring.

mikey3
    Free Member

Is McGregor doing this because he really doesn’t want to go back and have to fight that khabib guy(or isn’t he as good as people say?),is McGregor more or less retiring from ufc now? tho in fairness to McGregor he does seem willing to fight whoever whenever.

Jamie
    Free Member

Is McGregor doing this because he really doesn’t want to go back and have to fight that khabib guy(or isn’t he as good as people say?),is McGregor more or less retiring from ufc now?

Conor is doing this because of the amount of money he is going to get. It’s that simple.

Assuming this Mayweather fight wasn’t on the table, the reason Conor won’t fight Khabib is that he is too flakey. He’s not going to commit to promoting a PPV when there is every chance Khabib is going to not make weight or get injured.

If Khabib can be more reliable, I reckon a fight in Russia would interest Conor, as it would be quite a large payday.

The problem is it’ll never be near to the money earned in this Mayweather fight. Not sure what else would. Maybe a rematch? What it does mean is that Conor could decide to retire, as he’s set for life, but I think given the person he is he won’t. No idea whether it’ll be another weird fight like this, maybe against Paul Malignaggi, or against someone like GSP if he beats Bisping later this year.

In summary. **** knows.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m not going to try and call it but I can’t see Mayweather knocking McGregor out.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mayweather isn’t knocking anyone out.

You can take that to the bank.

…although it would be hilarious if he did. Probably break his hand in the process.

loddrik
    Free Member

I think McGregor wins. I think it will be over in two to three.

Mcgregor isn’t going to take a traditional boxing stance, he’ll be very loose, and very quick in and out, almost adopting a karate stance. Mayweather won’t have dealt with anything like it in his life.

I think McGregor walks forward, and If Mayweather walks forward too, it won’t last a round, either way. If Mayweather tries to walk backwards, and soak it up I don’t think he handles McGregor’s power. Boxers don’t cut weight like MMA fighters. Mayweather walks round at 150 / 152. McGregor walks round at 170. that is a huge difference in the ring.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey3 – Member

Is McGregor doing this because he really doesn’t want to go back and have to fight that khabib guy

For Khabib to even be mentioned in the same discussion as McGregor he has to demonstrate that he can make 155 and not almost die from kidney failure (which has happened twice now), and he has an ability to show up for three fights in a row. He’ll also have to beat Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and probably another LW challenger to build a fan base big enough to make him relevant.

(or isn’t he as good as people say?)

His wresting, take downs and top control are excellent but his standup is pretty shonky. He has a tendency to run face first into strikes. Not ideal against say – Conor McGregor.

is McGregor more or less retiring from ufc now? tho in fairness to McGregor he does seem willing to fight whoever whenever.

Allegedly he has an agreement with the UFC that he’ll return for at least one more fight.

loddrik – Member

Didn’t you say you were done with this till after the fight? Some people just can’t help themselves 8)

BoardinBob

Logic and experience suggests Floyd should win this with ease. He is the master boxer.

But anything could happen. I’ll be sitting up to watch it. I’m a massive combat sports fan so it’s definitely intriguing and it should at least be entertaining (for a Floyd fight)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘Mayweather Vs McGregor’ is closed to new replies.