Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Mattoc Pro 3 – did i do a bad thing?
  • reeksy

MTB stash burnt a hole in my pocket so i’ve just picked up a second hand 140mm Manitou Mattoc Pro 3 fork to Boostinate my hitherto unBoosted bike (replacing the old 32mm/120mm Revelation).
    I can’t find out much about them online other than that they are very adjustable.

Did i do a bad thing? Or are they a worthy buy?

If nothing else I’ll now be able to run matching Boost wheels on the bike.

big_scot_nanny

I’m one of a small band of manitou fans on here. Mattoc is a magnificent fork, superbly plush and supportive. Enjoy it!

My top tip for one idiosyncrasy – make sure the fork us unweighted when you add or remove pressure. When you connect the pump (to the valve on the bottom of fork) it opens both the negative and positive chambers and if there is weight on it it will sink into its travel. Best done on a stand, with the weight of the wheel hanging down, or any other way with the fork being actively extended.

Some have issues with a seeming lack of support from Hayes in the UK, they are smaller than the big usual. brands for sure.

dc1988

I love my Mattoc, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised

sv

Brilliant fork, support available direct just check their website if you have any issues.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

You’ve bought yourself a great fork. I’m a long term Manitou fan and own 2 set’s of Mattocs as well as various others and Manitou are one of the most unrated fork brands.

johnw1984
    Free Member

One of the best forks I’ve had. I had one on my Ibis DV9 hardtail at the time and It managed to be the most plush fork I’ve had with a great mid-stroke support that didn’t dive under braking.

If I was in the market for a new fork, I’d have another.

Mat

I bought Mattoc Pro 3’s last year for my Scandal build that I finally finished a few weeks ago. I’m really enjoying them, they feel like they’ve bedded in nicely in the last few rides.

(They were bought on the back of big_scot_nanny’s Manitou love in thread)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was a bit gutted when Manitou went the way of the dodo before Hayes bought them.

They’ve always done good forks, but the trick was getting the right ones amid the plethora of mediocrity.

X-Verts, TPC Nixons and Shermans for example.

My main concern now would not be performance, but support for service and spares into the future, since I run my forks for 4-5 years generally before changing.

reeksy

Good feedback guys, thanks. It’s going on a bike I normally have a lockout on, so particularly pleasing to hear it pedals well.
    Thanks for the tip on pressure setting.

dc1988

Worth noting that you can also adjust the travel when adjusting pressure. When your shock pump is attached you can just compress the fork slightly and it will stay at that travel when the pump is removed. It’s an easy way to try slightly shorter travel if desired

alan1977
    Free Member

awesome fork, ive literally had apair of used mattoc comps turn up to test on my hardtail, ive got 160 pros on my Aeris and i swaer by them
    Id treat myself to pair of Mezzers if and when they get some discount
    Only thing with Manitou is spares in the UK, not so easy to get as with other brands.. oh and the need for a ground down socket to get the lwoers off

rossburton
    Free Member

I had a Mattoc on my old bike, went 29er and had to swap for a Pike. I miss the Mattoc.

big_scot_nanny

@Mat – cool! I await my commission from Hayes 🙂

@reeksy
    – yes, whilst I always used lockout/firm on RS of Fox forks, just don’t need to on Manitous. they hold you high in the travel so you don’t feel the need to lockout, but still work as a suspension fork on the way up. Lovely

@alan1977
    – I tried to grind down 2 sockets and ruined them both. in the end I bought the kit, which is dead Mandy as we’ve mattoc, Mezzer and Mastodons in the family, all use the same tools. Simples.

alan1977
    Free Member

re the scoket, i havent tested it yet, but i picked up a hope pedal socket, and i think it might work, will know tonight.. its significantly cheaper than the whole manitou kit, if you already have the rest of the tools essentially

poah
    Free Member

enjoy the IRT system. The LSC/HSC works really well and fairly easy to set up. Building up a 26er for the eldest and they have my old mattocs on them.

Neb

I love my Mattoc pro 2, best fork I’ve ever had, cheap to buy and easy to service.

The IRT system can take a bit of setting up, but worth spending the time to do it right.

I bought a Manitou McLeod shock as I was so impressed with the Mattoc. It’s replaced a dbcoil inline and I much prefer it. It’s 400g lighter and cost less than an annual service of of the cane creek.

The manitou support isn’t the best in the UK, however there is loads of information on American forums and spares can be shipped in from Europe.

jamesoz

My Mattoc 2 pros are better than my Pike RTC.
    I made a socket, some time with a Piller drill and a file.
    The only thing that let them down was lack of a nicely fitting mudguard.
    I made one from Kydex which was kind of ok.
    The Crud XL however fits great and if clearance is tight the flap in the centre will fold up out of the way.

reeksy

@big_scot_nanny condolences about Mandy 😉

I do all my own hamfisted bike maintenance, so i’ll need to find out where to get parts … being in Australia, it may be even harder. Looks like there’s someone in NZ which may do the job. Tools look like they’re horribly expensive though 🙁

So far i’ve found generic Mattoc manuals, presumably that means it covers all options?

IRT system sounds perfect for me.

jkomo

The bit you need an thin socket for has a hex key fitting on the inside, so you can undo it with that to get lowers off.
    It’s a pain to do up though as it pushes it back up, but I managed it and I’m a total noob at fork stuff.

reeksy

That’s good to know… weird that they specify the socket.

Anyone know if there’s a specific manual for the Pro 3 that i’m not finding online?

Mat

For servicing or setup? I have quite a handy setup A4 sheet that came with the fork, I can’t find the exact same one online. I can send a copy if needed.

Ignore the above, reading the rest of the posts I guess you mean servicing. Interested to know myself, I’d just assumed I’d use the generic guides.

big_scot_nanny

in case useful for anyone, here’s the tools that seem to work across all manitou forks.
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/manitou-tool-kit-mattoc-840011

In terms of service, there’s very little difference between the forks, this should be what you need.

https://hayesbicycle.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036522933-Mattoc

dead handy Mandy 🙂

dustypumpkins

@alan1977 Any luck with the Hope pedal socket to remove the lowers?

alan1977
    Free Member

no, tried it today, the outer diameter is a smidge too large, the socket isnt deep enough (i drilled mine) and the hex has a slight chamfered entry which would be better squared off

excalibur

Does anyone’s lsc adjust do anything? Mine turns, but doesn’t affect the damping at all. I’m not expecting lockout, however some stiffening would be useful at times. I have manitou mastodons on the fatty and they work great. German retailer doesn’t respond. No reply from Hayes Europe, Hayes USA responded initially to my query but redirected me to Hayes Europe. No replies at all from anyone now. So are the forks defective and how to fix them?

Mat

Does anyone’s lsc adjust do anything?

I’ve pondered the exact same thing! I’ve not really felt I’ve needed it yet mind. My experimentation has just been opening/closing and pumping the fork whilst stationary, it doesn’t feel like it gets any slower…

reeksy

@big_scot_nanny thanks for the link. That’s what i’d found, just wasn’t sure it was up to date… i also found a Hayes Youtube that looks good.

I’ve set my Trace 36 HLR with a rented shockwhiz/wiz(?) It’s pretty easy and i’ve been happy with their performance. If i get around to it with these i’ll see whether the LSC makes any difference. Hoping for a good climber as it’s going on my ‘lighter’ of my two steel hardtails.

big_scot_nanny

there is mention in documentation (what I ‘ave read, but can’t provide the specific backup link/quote atm) that to get that ‘lockout’ or really obvious stiffening then both HSC&LSC need to be increased.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I am building up a steel fs enduro/park frame. Morph FS. Using a mezzer and a mara shock.

alan1977
    Free Member

couldnt say if my LSC does much
    after i fitted mine i noticed my LSC knob hasnt got much of a lever to grab hold off so i dont touch it, and being as its like 40 odd quid to get anohther….

alan1977
    Free Member

on a side note, i won a cheap pair of Mattoc Pro’s through wiggle’s ebay outlet
    but they werent Pro’s, they were comps
    i did a bottom end service yesterday, and set them to 150mm and put them on my hard tail to test/check they were working.the Dust seals were bone dry, apparently from factory like that….oil was clear so they were ssentially new
    It doesnt feel like i needed any rebound damping at 100PSI (according to my cheap pump) although saying that, i was pinging off everything last night so may be wrong…
    BUT
    still bloody good forks, put in some surprising runs in the dark in sludge o na bike ive ridden twice

cjr61

All this manitou love….I miss my Magnum pros.

Anyone selling a Mattoc or Magnum Pro in 29er boost 140 flavour by any chance? Or fancies swapping for some Pikes?

Chris

beaker

Love my Tower Pros. They’re old now but they’re a great fork.

jairaj

I have a Mattoc Expert 26″ mk1 versions. The LSC does make a difference on my fork you can feel the fork resisting pedal bob and being less supple. I think I have 4 or 5 clicks of adjustment on my forks and from lowest to highest setting there is a noticeable difference.

You need to slowly apply pressure on the fork, bouncing up and down on it while track standing will engage the high speed damping circuit instead.

I haven’t tried any of the latest forks but years ago when the Mattoc’s where new on the market they where by far the better damped fork compared to what Rockshox and Fox were offering.

I’d be interested to see how the latest Mattoc compare with the latest Pike or Fox 34.

excalibur

I appreciate the feedback on LSC. Seems the jury’s out a bit on this. i’m not a powerful rider but they bob a bit much on steep climbs (road/fireroad style). Every other fork I’ve ever had the LSC adjust makes a significant difference, and that includes Manitou Mastodon which I thought was essentially the same fork in fat bike version. Really pleased (overjoyed) with the Mastodon, less so with the Mattoc. Redeeming qualities as others have said, nice and supple & yet still stays high in travel. Way nicer to ride than some Fox 34’s I had a couple of years ago. Probably not up to the standard set by my old Marzocchi 35 Titanium coil fork which remains exceptional.

jkomo

For the narrow socket, does it need to be a deep one, and how thin is it, I might get a mate to reduce one on a lathe.
    If it’s easy to do I could get a couple done, one for me and one as a ‘loaner’.

big_scot_nanny

No, it doesn’t have to be a deep socket. I just used a normal one from a boggo set when I ground it down.

You do have to grind down a fair length though, quite a lot of a socket goes inside the fork.

jamesoz

Damnit, thought I’d find mine to measure for anyone making one. It’s gone! Having just spent ages searching for a reverb brass key, which turned up in my shoe, I’m a bit dis-chuffed. Can’t face searching for it now.

poah
    Free Member

LSC does do wat it should but you have to actually ride the bike not car park squish. If you feel like you need more LSC add a click of HSC.

jairaj

I have the tool kit and just measured the socket. It is about 10.3mm in diameter and the thin region is about 15mm long.

If any one wants to borrow the tool kit. I’m more than happy to post it you as long as you pay a refundable deposit. Not looking to make any money, I just want to protect my self against it being lost in transit or being returned in a damaged state.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Mattoc Pro 3 – did i do a bad thing?’ is closed to new replies.