Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Mattoc Pro 3 – did i do a bad thing?
  • Mat

LSC does do wat it should but you have to actually ride the bike not car park squish. If you feel like you need more LSC add a click of HSC.

Thanks poah, will have more of a play!

Also I’ve realised the benefit of the tortoise and the hare on Rockshox forks! tweaking the Mattocs I’m always thinking does the + mean add more damping or remove damping and make rebound faster!

jairaj

I’ve never had that problem my self. Always seemed obvious to me when twiddling eg the low speed compression damping knob, that “+” meant more low speed compression damping. ie it will resist low speed compression forces on the fork more than normal and dampen the compression force. But yours is not a rare comment on so I fully understand that I may be in the minority.

dc1988

If you want confusion then try a BOS fork/shock where you get a choice of hard or soft rebound and compression adjustments, I still can’t remember which way does what.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Halfords do an 8mm deep socket that can be ground down (the official tool is 10.4mm OD) from 11.5mm ISH, I know cos I’ve just spent an hour or so doing just that with a drill and a Dremel after cracking my official Manitou one. Remember the legs are reverse thread 🤣

Big-Bud
    Free Member

The Lsc & Hsc work in conjunction with each other .so if you want more lsc add hsc first .

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The Lsc & Hsc work in conjunction with each other .so if you want more lsc add hsc first

Yes I believe it is one of the quirks of the damper, something to do with shim stack pre-loading IIRC.

You will notice when the HSC is fully open the LSC doesn’t do much. Apparently it becomes increasingly effective with each click of HSC.

When I’m pump tracking or jumping I have both fully closed!

I’m afraid all but the latest Mattocs have the same design fault that afflicted early Mezzers. Excessive bushing play is common with Mattocs and Minutes IME. Often it’s not noticed by users because, in the main, the damping on the pro models is pretty sophisticated, especially when coming from more basic forks from other brands. The forks when new are also packed with grease, which keeps it quiet!

If your fork has bushing slop it feels like your headset is a tiny bit loose. Put your bike on it’s back wheel and bounce it up and down. You will hear a buzzing vibration/rattle through the fork and you can feel it’s at the stanchion lower junction with your hand. On the trails it manifests itself as stiffness/binding on fast washboard sections.

poah
    Free Member

I’m afraid all but the latest Mattocs have the same design fault that afflicted early Mezzers. Excessive bushing play is common with Mattocs and Minutes IME

where did you get this information from? my mattoc is nothing like that and I haven’t heard anything about bushing play either.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Had one the lowers were replaced under warranty. Brand new lowers and serviced but the play was still there. As the packed in grease runs out in use it is more noticeable! Mates got a Minute Comp from a Ragley same problem.

Hayes were not even able to get Mattocs to 2 (might have been 3) of the major review sites, that worked first time out of the box!

There’s at least 2 published articles reporting bushing play with Mattoc test forks and the massive MTBR thread (mostly a Manitou love in) where people have reported the same problem.

reeksy

Well fitted them now. Certainly seem nice and firm.

Weird how the stanchions are so long. 180mm on a 140mm travel fork. My other forks (160mm x-fusion 36 Trace) measure exactly 160mm.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yes I believe it is one of the quirks of the damper, something to do with shim stack pre-loading IIRC.

It’s not really a quirk, nor is it specific to Manitou. All compression and also rebound damping affects low speed and high speed to some degree, because they’re effectively each end of the same circuit and are interelated. You can feel the effect on the X2 and 36 especially easily.

Stevelol
    Free Member

This video (or maybe in part 2) Steve explains in great depth how HSC and LSC are linked:

Jordan

reeksy

Weird how the stanchions are so long. 180mm on a 140mm travel fork. My other forks (160mm x-fusion 36 Trace) measure exactly 160mm.

That does seem odd! Surely it will throw the geo way out. Have you checked how much travel is available?

poah
    Free Member

@reeksy That doesn’t sound right. The travel spacers reduce travel by increasing the amount of piston travel into the forks. The outers should move up the stanchions accordingly.

reeksy

Didn’t think to dump the air and fully compress, but compared with the 120mm Rockshox I replaced the lowers are a fair bit shorter…

Mat

Yeah the lowers can be shorter due to the reverse arch (I asked the same question when I first got mine out of the box!). Makes it a bit trickier to gauge appropriate sag!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Another thing I remembered.

If your HBO adjuster (didn’t need 4 positions Manitou have dropped the feature for on/off) doesn’t work, don’t shit a brick and think your fork is buggered internally. It’s just grit wedging it in. Undo the little allen bolt, take it out and clean it…….Easy eh, well just be very careful to not lose the two tiny ball bearings in either side of the knob. They’re really small and easy to lose as they come flying out!

I prefer X-Fusions adjusters because they never jam up, due to being like an over cap on top of the stanchion, instead of bowl that collects shit Manitou, Fox (had the same problem with Fox adjusters in the past) and others.

On a positive note the damping of Mattocs is up there with the best. When I first got mine I used to put the front wheel into the worst ugly ruts and holes on the trails just for fun, so good is the repeated big hit handling! A Lyric slightly edges it for out and out composure, but not by much and usually costs a lot more.

reeksy

Funny you say that, my Xfusion adjuster doesn’t work!

jairaj

180mmn visible stanchion on a 140mm fork doesn’t sound right.

They’ll be a little bit extra exposed even at full travel but that sounds excessive. I would expect around 150mm visible.

jairaj

@chestercopperpot good to hear you think the quality of the damping still holds up with mainstream options.

New Mattoc 29 will definitely be on the shortlist when it comes to replacing the old 26” bike.

penguinni

Just took delivery of a new set of Mattoc Comps and waiting or a Hope HeadDoctor arriving so I can get them fitted and used. They do have a lot of very favourable reviews and comments and also look and feel lovely in the flesh!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Mattoc Pro 3 – did i do a bad thing?’ is closed to new replies.