Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Matthew Smith anyone know him?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Does she sell stuff? What is her objection to it?

Daffy

She sold a phone, a chargeback was applied and the money was reversed by paypal. She lost the phone and the money.

robowns
    Free Member

Yeah I have used PayPal for years including selling stuff on here.
    Sold a processor on eBay, the buyer didn’t have the right socket motherboard and broke the chip. PayPal refunded him and I ended up with nothing.
    Not keen to sell anything on here without using gift from now on.

cardo

@Shermer75 — that made me laugh nice one!

andcarson
    Free Member

Matthew Smith approached me after I put up a wanted ad for some forks. He offered the same thing as the other poster said: a picture of a driver’s licence and passport. Seemed totally dodgy so I declined.

scaredypants

At the risk of sounding like a keyboard warrior, did you get an address ?

I’d be collecting names of “victims” and near-misses and considering talking to the police, I think

ricky1
    Free Member

Matthew smith appears to always have what others want….coincidentally,does he ever buy anything/post on singletrack or is he just a chancer who trawls the wanted list looking for buyers?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Set a trap:

Wanted: Tardis (blue), the version with the whoshy bellows sound.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Same here, Unfortunately.

Emailed me in regards to an X01 mech i was after. All the same checks as Daffy and all checked out so sent the money. only 50% of what he was after fortunately.

stevied
    Free Member

I may have found a phone number for Mr Smith….

Daffy

So far I’ve got the following:

Full Name, bank details, passport, driving license, phone number (landline and mobile), IP address, FB account, Twitter, MSE, and am currently attempting to find where he works.

If anyone else has been defrauded, contact me via e-mail, I’ll be contacting the police, his bank and hopefully (if my search algorithm works) his employers by close of play on Monday.

This kinda shit has got to stop. If the police don’t do anything, I’ll do everything possible to make sure that when someone searches for this guy on the internet every single top result has his name, address, DOB, passport number, picture and a list of the people he’s ripped off.

Jamie
    Free Member

if my search algorithm works

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqJ1mTkEuY[/video]

ricky1
    Free Member

Nice work daffy,I won’t be pissing you off any time in my life,the net is a play area for criminals like this,just a shame it’s now on our doorstep,I trust anyone who sells on here and I’ve had no hassles when buying/selling on singletrack,but there’s always one dick who has to make us all paranoid from now on when genuine sellers/buyers trade goods,doubt the cops will be interested though as it’s not happening in front of their face.

scaredypants

Jamie, mind if I continue imagining this ? :

teamslug
    Free Member

if you have a copy of his driving licence you have his address?. If other folks have been ripped off or he has attempted to rip[ them off surely there is enough to go to police with?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

If he’s ripping folk off, surely he won’t be sending details of his driving licence and his address??

jontykint
    Free Member

Mattonlaptop has a few interesting posts on moneysavingexoert

deano8
    Free Member

I’m glad he sent me the photo card as that was the main reason I never sent the money transfer.
    Good work Daffy

billyboy
    Free Member

The only time I’ve been defrauded recently was via my PAYPAL account. While I was cycling between Muswell Hill and Harrow Weald at about 9pm one evening earlier in the year, I was, totally unbeknownst to me, buying a bloody computer in Fort Worth, BLOODY TEXAS, to be delivered to some BASTARD address in Indonesia…..

PAYPAL were less than bloody helpful and best part of said it was my fault for not guarding the password…a password that I guarded by not telling any other living soul what it was.

NOT IMPRESSED…don’t blame anyone for not using them

deadkenny
    Free Member

As for reasons to avoid PayPal, it’s something I’m always wary of using as a seller. All the protection is on the buyer and PayPal are well known to chargeback with the slightest complaint from the buyer, and it’s a known scam for the buyer to then disappear. Then you have a fight with PayPal, meanwhile you are out of money and won’t get your fees back from them. Sometimes they freeze accounts also without discussing it.

Never keen on PayPal for these reasons and the high fees, but then again I wouldn’t trust a dodgy story and request for payment by bank transfer either. As a buyer I’m happier to use PayPal in the absence of anything else. I wouldn’t use Gift however, though I can understand why a seller might want Gift given the buyer can’t chargeback and no fees.

Drac

if my search algorithm works

Euro
    Free Member

I’m also struggling to think of any legitimate reason why somebody can’t use PayPal.

I’ve never sold anything on here (or anywhere on the net) and have only made one purchase, which was for a complete bike. I don’t do paypal – not that i can’t, i just choose not to, so asked the seller if he’d accept a bank transfer. I sent him the money and he sent me the bike and we both lived happily ever after.

Jamie
    Free Member

nick1962
    Free Member

Just pass on his bank details and email address to every scam “Nigerian” money changing e mail/penis enlargement/gambling/pron site etc.

welshfarmer

Was never any good at Algorithms in school. Couldn’t get my head round all that x+2y=z shite

hairyscary

These algorithms are making me nervous.

Matthew Smith……… never been coned and nothing to hide.

Daffy

Can anyone who had dealings with this fella please email me including all correspondence, I’m speaking to the Police, Lloyds and Google, if STW can help, that’d be great.

Daffy

Bump.

hora
    Free Member

I’m also struggling to think of any legitimate reason why somebody can’t use PayPal

I hate it. I begrudgingly use it (Same with ebay) as it seems everyone on STW loves it/trades with it. I’ll always ask for bank transfer or meet where possible.

Daffy- how much are you down?

Daffy

Very little – just £45.

Can all those who’ve been “had” please contact your bank? You probably wont get your money back, but I need as many people as possible to contact their bank regarding the recipient. This way the interbank fraud team can go about their business. It only took me 5 minutes with mine and a follow-up call from the TSB (“Matt’s” bank) to get this sorted.

It’s not the money, it’s the principal. STW is supposed to be a relatively safe place to trade.

wwaswas

hat off to Daffy for doing something about this.

Trimix
    Free Member

*I’m about to buy pitch forks from eBay – should I use PayPal to pay for them 🙂

Seriously though, well done.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m always wary of the wtds for this sort of reason but where I have used it, I’ve asked the person to post in the wtd ad so I can at least get some idea of their posting history – or more likely, potential lack of it.

Hope you guys get him/your money back.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just a thought but if the guy is ripping people off it would seem a bit silly to send people copies of his own passport and driving license? Have you thought that he’s maybe hacked into this matt whatever’s email account?

If he is ripping people off then he’s not done a very good job of hiding his identity.

Daffy

Anyone who has been conned, please fill in this:

Also please contact you banks.

Action Fraud UK Police Website link

Daffy

Oh, I now have complete proof that “Matt Smith”, is actually Matt Smith as provided in the documentation and that the account is linked to him.

I’m just trying to determine if his exact location matches his data.

M.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR BANK!

Mod edit: THIS PERSON HAS NOW BEEN BANNED FROM THE FORUM

Jamie
    Free Member

So he scammed people and gave them his real info?

Genius.

Daffy

Daffy – Member

Mod edit: THIS PERSON HAS NOW BEEN BANNED FROM THE FORUM

Not me by the way, I’m still here. 🙂

wwaswas

I’m still here.

*my hopes are dashed*

😉

nemesis
    Free Member

🙂

Let me just check this. A scammer sent you his real passport and driving license?

Wow.

Or are we certain that he’s a scammer and not just a bit crap? I’ve bought stuff on here that has turned up eventually with non-replies to emails for a time longer than felt comfortable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Matthew Smith anyone know him?’ is closed to new replies.