Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Massage guns, anyone have one? Any good?
  • lunge

Debating buying a massage gun to help with my constantly aching legs, wondered if anyone had one and what their thoughts were?

DickBarton

Yes, but I’m pretty sure I’m not using it properly or frequently enough. When I do use it, there is an improvement, but it seems to be temporary (which makes me think I’m not doing it frequently enough)…

I went for a cheap Chinese one as I wasn’t really convinced it would work, but was also not looking to be spending £35 a week on the pain a sports massage was inflicting sorting the legs.

A bit of proactive stretching and this gun and it did help, but the stretching quickly stopped so a combination of a few things needing picked up again and I reckon it would make a decent improvement – gun to help relieve knots and tension in the muscles and the stretching to keep things more supple.

Only real issue with it is trying to get it at the right angle for any back work – it tends to work best at 90 degrees to the surface, which is not really possible if trying to work on your back.

p7eaven
    Free Member
    lucien

Was given a Theragun for birthday.  On the plus side, it’s ace, easy to use, holds charge for long period and really helps with recovery in particular.  On the downside it’s still me doing the work, and I’ve come to realise the thing I like about massages is being massaged….oh, and no happy ending.

retro83
    Free Member

On the subject of cheap chinese ones, can anybody recommend one? There are a tonne of almost identical ones on Amazon.

Somebody mentioned Renpho on the other thread, looks like you can get one of those for ~£90. Lot of money to take a punt on it based on a single recommendation.

mactheknife

Yep, got a flow sports mini. A friend is sponsored by them so got a huge discount.

I went in thinking that as with a lot of things this could be a bit of a rubbish idea that was all a bit placebo like.

But i genuinely think it works very well. My recovery is a lot better after using and my muscles are considerably less sore.

oikeith

For injury prevention and recovery I found it okay when combined with stretching and some pilates, but where I had real tightness and muscle soreness a proper massage was the only to heal.

footflaps

Never tried one, but does seem a very expensive version of a £2 lacrosse ball…

alpin
    Free Member

oh, and no happy ending.

You’re using it wrong.

househusband

Somebody mentioned Renpho on the other thread, looks like you can get one of those for ~£90. Lot of money to take a punt on it based on a single recommendation.

I have a Renpho but not sure whether I’d recommend… bought one from Amazon and it died several weeks later. Noticed that it was then £20 cheaper so got a refund on the first, ordered a new one at £80. That then died the same way a few weeks ago; only several months old but same issue.

Got in touch with Renpho (special ‘VIP’ customer care for Amazon customers) and after sending them a short video and the serial number they came back a few days ago and said they were sending a new one!

As in interim I bought a £30 one on Saturday as it was same day delivery and on offer. The Renpho one is quieter and more solidly built but two dead in a row..?

retro83
    Free Member

househusband

I have a Renpho but not sure whether I’d recommend… bought one from Amazon and it died several weeks later. Noticed that it was then £20 cheaper so got a refund on the first, ordered a new one at £80. That then died the same way a few weeks ago; only several months old but same issue.

Got in touch with Renpho (special ‘VIP’ customer care for Amazon customers) and after sending them a short video and the serial number they came back a few days ago and said they were sending a new one!

As in interim I bought a £30 one on Saturday as it was same day delivery and on offer. The Renpho one is quieter and more solidly built but two dead in a row..?

Bolleaux. Literally seconds before you posted I just ordered this beaut on amazon. Only 60 notes.

Should be here tonight so will report back.

househusband

Bolleaux. Literally seconds before you posted I just ordered this beaut on amazon. Only 60 notes.

@retro83
    I might just have been plain unlucky that two in a row went pear-shaped within the space of a few months; also possible that they had a batch problem – might explain why Renpho were so quick to replace? Also, at least buying from Amazon you’re well covered.

Also, Renpho do seem to do very well in terms of reviews and ratings, etc.

Yours looks like something out of Star Trek!!!

rsl1
    Free Member

bought a £35 ish one off amazon for my partner. It’s fine, but I don’t think it’s powerful enough to actually do any good. I find myself wondering whether the expensive ones are the same or whether they have a bit of extra guts to them

TheBrick
    Free Member

Wonderful martial aids

cookeaa

I go given one recently as a half joke by my sister, it’s actually really good.

You’re able to pummel aching leg muscles far more effectively than you would with a stick or a squash/tennis/golf ball, to the extent that it’s made me able to comfortably ride successive days when I would otherwise have been creaking on day two.

You really need to use it the night before, not yen minutes prior, and probably for longer than you think. It’s no it quite a proper sports massage but much better than nothing… IMO.

DickBarton

I need to go find some videos or guides on how to use it for best results…suspect I’m not using the right head.

retro83
    Free Member

househusband

@retro83
    I might just have been plain unlucky that two in a row went pear-shaped within the space of a few months; also possible that they had a batch problem – might explain why Renpho were so quick to replace? Also, at least buying from Amazon you’re well covered.

Also, Renpho do seem to do very well in terms of reviews and ratings, etc.

Yours looks like something out of Star Trek!!!

It does indeed, the angle of the dangle can be changed to invigorate the places that other oscillating appendages cannot reach. 😊

retro83
    Free Member

retro83

It does indeed, the angle of the dangle can be changed to invigorate the places that other oscillating appendages cannot reach. 😊

Right, got the Renpho I linked earlier. It’s a big old beast. Plenty powerful/torquey enough for me. It’s hard to stall on the higher settings.

Negative points
    – it has a slightly diesel-esque rattle unless held in one specific orientation.
    – it could use a lower power mode than the lowest setting. On sore muscles it’s a bit too intense.

househusband

@retro83 Sounds good; the quality of the plastics is way ahead of those on the £30 one (now back up to £46) I bought as an interim. Renpho have said the replacement is on the way and should take a week so does sound its coming direct from wherever they’re based rather than UK.

leegee

I bought a Wahl one of Ebay which was great for a couple of weeks but then broke & I got a refund.

just thought I’d mention it to save anyone else the bother.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve had a theragun about 6 months, it’s brilliant when your legs just feel tight and need a pummelling

It can be a bit easy though to bruise yourself!

I do agree with the comment above though that it’s still nicer if someone else uses it on you and it doesn’t fully replace a proper massage

Make sure you get one with plenty of hand positions

feed

I bought a generic one off Amazon branded “Jetbus” for about £45 and it’s been great, use it a lot especially after straining calf muscle.

Brand isn’t available but it’s exactly the same as this one for £65 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Percussion-Massager-Pokehome-Athletes-Included/dp/B08C3SPC34/ref=sr_1_38

Have a search, you might find the same with different brand name for cheaper.

frankconway

Is this the new version of Hitachi’s Magic Wand?

feed

Have to say, this looks a tad suspect 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the 19.99 eBay ones. I use the ball end that’s a bit softer and foamy. Works really well, and helps after big rides. Surprisingly well made and pretty robust.

TheBrick
    Free Member

They always make me think marital aid. I can’t be the only one.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheap one, has a lost of attachments. It’s alright at helping rub down tired legs but I’m not sure it’s any better than the heel of my hand.

molgrips
    Free Member

They always make me think marital aid. I can’t be the only one.

There may be some women who like having their genitals hammered to that extent but I don’t think I’ve known any.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Slight highjack but does anybody have a link on how these guns should be used? I have had various different results with mine some results seem to have had a negative effect. I can’t help thinking I’m doing something wrong.

Simwit

@muddylegs Download the Deep app by Musclegun, it has basic vocally guided routines to follow with pictoral prompts.

natrix
    Free Member

I bought a Wahl one of Ebay which was great for a couple of weeks but then broke

Was it the heated one? They seemed to have a lot of problems.

I bought a Wahl one (not heated), it’s still going strong after a year and is really useful.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Cheers @Simwit I’ll take a look.

leegee

@natrix, it wasn’t the heated one. it developed a noise like a screw or ball bearing was loose inside, which then stopped, shortly after it packed up.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Massage guns, anyone have one? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.