Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 283 total)
  • Marcus Rashford
  • grum
    Free Member

More importantly, theres no way Diane Abbott could have finished like that against PSG the other night

I see DA as more of a Roy Keane style midfield enforcer.

Northwind

kimbers

However on those numbers Tories would have a slim majority

Eh, I’d like to see your working tbh.

These polls don’t give enough information about seats etc to really go for or against that, but 42/36/8 is not much different than he last general election which was 43/32/4. That’s a very crude comparison but thanks to FPTP and a century of gerrymandering that poll result could leave us pretty much exactly where we are now, except maybe with a few more lib dems. It’s not a significant change and it’s worse than the 2017, 2015, and 2010 elections for Labour and barely any better than 2019.

Neither a criticism of starmer or praise for Corbyn, it’s jsut that they’re both playing the same broken game on the same sloping pitch.

steelbike
    Free Member

It looks like there are 5 tories who don’t have the morality of a snake

Amazingly they were happy to subsidise the “Eat out to help out” policy but not starving kids., I can’t actually believe I had to borrow something from one of politics repugnant sideshow exhibits but he dropped the mic when he rolled that one out.

grum
    Free Member

Presumably there just aren’t enough Tory donors/Brexit cheerleaders involved in the school meals catering trade.

Sometimes there’s not even any profit involved at all! Imagine that – waste of time.

tomhoward

The FB post from my MP is ageing well…

pondo

I keep thinking I can’t get any angrier, then a new day dawns.

teethgrinder

locomotive

For those interested on how their MP voted.

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/896#noes

Thanks for posting the link Kiksy. Rather than argue on STW about the state of politics (not sure who is expecting what to change with that approach) I plan to spend the time to write to my No voting MP asking for an explanation.

ElShalimo

Can you please share your letter so that we can copy and paste?

ElShalimo

The Star and The Mirror aren’t giving up on this story ..yet

MoreCashThanDash

There’s a Change.org petition going around calling for the end of subsidised meals at the HofP.

How out of touch are those idiots?

binners

It’s worth checking out Marcus Rashfords Twitter feed. Businesses and local councils all over the country pledging to supply free meals over the holidays.

My no-mark Tory MP, who voted against free school meals, is getting dogs abuse about this all over social meedya. And rightfully so. He’s a ****!

It just goes to show how detached from reality they are. Its a relatively small amount of money but they must surely realise how bad it looks to all but the hardest-hearted of bastards. Its not even like its permanent. It’s just to see the most disadvantaged people through a pandemic.

Anyway… here’s a tweet sent by multimillionaire and Tory MP, Jeremy Hunt, about getting his nice lunch at his local gastropub subsidised by us plebs

theotherjonv

I do see the point that the system is so **** up that kids need schools to provide meals because households are too poor to do it themselves, and even have some sympathy with those calling for that to be fixed, but letting kids go hungry now while it gets sorted (if it ever will b) is kind of like turning up to a road accident and refusing to treat the victim because we need to deal with dangerous driving to stop it happening in the first place.

It’s not an either or situation. We must do both.

tomhoward

I’d quite like to make MPs who voted against feeding poor kids have to explain to those kids, to their face, why they had the opportunity to feed them, but chose not to. Perhaps showing them what they spent the money on instead.

Murray

Check out Marcus’s Twitter feed, what a hero

Harry_the_Spider

My MP didn’t vote the other day, but he has this as the lead on his website.

https://www.christianwakeford.org.uk/news/free-school-breakfasts-can-transform-lives

Why didn’t he vote?

joepud
    Free Member

Check out Marcus’s Twitter feed, what a hero

Im 100% with Marcus on this kids need food and as a poor kid growing up myself it makes me so mad that this is happening. Not content with taking milk away they now want to take all the food! What annoys me even more is like some old bloke walking in his garden to fund the NHS we now have local people stepping in on mass to make up for the short coming of our gov.’ its shocking!

Like Tom says the MPs who voted again this should be made to explain their decision, why do they hate kids and want them to go without food.

Klunk
    Free Member

the star sticks the boot in! ? :/

ayjaydoubleyou

Its a shocking measure of our society that we are punishing parents wrongdoings by letting their children starve.

However, MPs, media personalities, and whoever else that opposed school meals enjoying and promoting the eat out to help out scheme is irrelevant. EOTHO was always about supporting the businesses and their employees in the hospitality sector, not about reducing the cost of food to the public.

binners

I’m quite enjoying seeing a United player who isn’t universally despised 😀

null

csb

we now have local people stepping in on mass to make up for the short coming of our gov.’ its shocking!

It should be a shock to no-one that a Tory Govt is pushing responsibility for what decent people think should be a statutory duty onto voluntary organisations. Let those who care pay.

kelvin

EOTHO was always about supporting the businesses and their employees in the hospitality sector, not about reducing the cost of food to the public.

Why not simply give the money to those businesses and employees then… it could also have gone to the small establishments that were unable to open over the summer then, rather than just those with the inside room, and outside space, to get customers in? It definitely had a “feel good about the government cutting prices for you” edge to it… if you’d been past a Wetherspoons while the offer was one, they did a good job of making that explicit.

PrinceJohn

However, MPs, media personalities, and whoever else that opposed school meals enjoying and promoting the eat out to help out scheme is irrelevant. EOTHO was always about supporting the businesses and their employees in the hospitality sector, not about reducing the cost of food to the public.

It’s not tho, not really – when they can spend £500 million on that, but not find £20 million to feed some starving kids it all becomes relevant. Especially the way they are spaffing the cash about to all their mates.

stumpyjon

It’s all a bit click baity morale outrage de jour this.

Tory MPs hating children and wanting them to starve, no its far more mundane, vacuous Tory MPs doing what they are told to keep their snouts in the trough, bit like Brexit, the plight of the kids won’t even have registered.

Kids going to starve this year without free school meals, same issue as last year but no one noticed, probably made worse by Covid but in that case concentrate on the furlough scheme.

Do we have a problem with some children not getting enough nutritional food, course we do, will this fix it, probably not, should we do it anyway, yes, is it the biggest issue facing the country at the moment, no not really.

Want to sort out child poverty properly we need to properly engage with poor parenting, lack of aspiration, lack of opportunities, lack of money going into fund all this, the money that is not being spent sensibly (by government and parents).

Sorry, struggling to get quite as wound up about this as some of you, maybe all my hate for the current government has already been used up due to Brexit and Covid. It also sits a bit oddly with me that someone paid as much as Marcus Rashford is the one making the fuss, don’t know him personally, don’t follow football, accept from comments on here that he’s a decent bloke but still.

binners

20 million quid seems a relatively trifling sum of money (particularly in these Covid times) when to not spend it does such a monumental amount of damage to your image, that was hardly great to begin with. Unless you really are only now even bothering to talk to the ‘they’re all feckless layabouts’ mob

I was watching the Thick of It the other night. The episode where Tory spin doctor Stuart Pearson is sacked. His parting speech could have been written just to describe this present lot

Its a bit sweary, but very accurate…

kelvin

Want to sort out child poverty properly we need to properly engage with poor parenting, lack of aspiration, lack of opportunities, lack of money going into fund all this, the money that is not being spent sensibly (by government and parents).

And you’ll have this in place ready for half term next week, yes?

grum
    Free Member

It’s all a bit click baity morale outrage de jour this.

That’s what they want you to think.

And Marcus Rashford is doing it because people will listen to him and he benefitted from free school meals as a kid.

binners

Want to sort out child poverty properly we need to properly engage with poor parenting, lack of aspiration, lack of opportunities, lack of money going into fund all this

Nu Labour (boooooo…bloody centrists!!!) did exactly this through schemes like Surestart. Dave and Gideon scrapped it all approximately 5 seconds after they were elected.

ayjaydoubleyou

It’s not tho, not really – when they can spend £500 million on that, but not find £20 million to feed some starving kids it all becomes relevant. Especially the way they are spaffing the cash about to all their mates.

how much does the government spend every day? You could just as easily complain about any spending on anything that doesn’t immediately feed, care for, and house the general population.

From a compassionate point of view, prioritising middle class leisure time over starving kids is worng, clearly.
    But from an economics point of view, giving the money to business owners and employees is a much better use of your millions.

zilog6128

I’m quite enjoying seeing a United player who isn’t universally despised

what numpty designed that poster though… both pairs of quotation marks above the quote… just why 🤣 (hoping that’s not one of yours actually 😂)

frankconway

If this was about the last £20 million the government had there might be a discussion.
    It is not; there isn’t an either/or decision about what to spend the money on.
    The principle of providing support to children in food poverty should not be in any doubt.
    This would be discretionary spending.
    £20 million is a completely imperceptible sum in the context of central government spending.
    Think of it another way, the governing party will usually have an eye on policies which cement their position and/or gain them new supporters.
    This a guaranteed vote loser.
    Marcus Rashford has a much higher approval rating than johnson or any of his clown circus; in addition, the ‘popular press’ is very much on his side.
    That ‘man of the people’ johnson has clearly failed to understand how damaging this is to him – either that or blind ideology is stopping him from doing what is patently right or cummings has said ‘no’.

binners

what numpty designed that poster though…

Not guilty. You can tell it’s not one of mine. Theres no glaring spelling errors in it 😀

The line breaks also offend me greatly. Hadn’t noticed the quotation marks as I was twitching at the idea of single words on individual lines

DrP

This is bringing me to tears…

clickly…it’s a bit dusty here…

I HATE the idea of kids going hungry… It’s literally a basic, humble requirement.
    I had a really poor upbringing – Dad really ill at one point, mum not working, and we had to rely on food tins and such for a period.
    We’d have been, frankly, ****, if it weren’t for that.

This government has SOOOO the wrong idea of what’s important.

DrP

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry, struggling to get quite as wound up about this as some of you

It’s ok. There are plenty of other people who couldn’t give a **** either. You’re not alone.

RichPenny
    Free Member

But from an economics point of view, giving the money to business owners and employees is a much better use of your millions.

There is plenty of evidence that kids eating a healthy, balanced diet contributes significantly to improved educational outcomes. In turn, that’s giving you a lifelong improvement on economic activity for that person. I’d suggest the economic ROI on free school meals is enormous.

binners

Let’s be honest… disadvantaged school kids have had a really, really easy year. We should stop mollycoddling them

zilog6128

It also sits a bit oddly with me that someone paid as much as Marcus Rashford is the one making the fuss

surely it’s obvious that people have been “making a fuss” for ages? But it takes someone with the profile of Rashford to actually get heard.

What I find odd is.. anyone who finds it odd that someone would care about other people?! We need more like him, not less!

kerley
    Free Member

This government has SOOOO the wrong idea of what’s important.

I think it was Brexit that was important wasn’t it, or that is how they got voted in.

ayjaydoubleyou

There is plenty of evidence that kids eating a healthy, balanced diet contributes significantly to improved educational outcomes. In turn, that’s giving you a lifelong improvement on economic activity for that person. I’d suggest the economic ROI on free school meals is enormous.

Now life isn’t quite a zero sum game, but there are only so many doctors and so on that we need. Everyone that pulls themselves up out of poverty is taking away the birthright jobs of the kids of upper middle class Tory voters. Hence their opposition to it.

PLus the benefit doesn’t kick in for decades, no politician cares about that far into the future. See also climate change.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘Marcus Rashford’ is closed to new replies.