• This topic has 271 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by MSP.
Viewing 32 posts - 241 through 272 (of 272 total)
  • Marcus Rashford
  • Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

he’s made it now, a squires strip!

absolutely **** marvelous 😀

Premier Icon pondo

Outstanding.

Premier Icon binners

Absolutely brilliant!

Premier Icon tomhoward

Our elected representatives take decisions on our behalf; those decisions do not necessarily represent the views of the majority of their constituents.

Unless the can use the ‘will of the people’ defence, when willingly driving our economy off an aforementioned cliff, for their own gain, after selling us a pack of lies.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

I just returned to this thread  to post that cartoon

Fantastic!

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

she shoots she scores

Premier Icon doomanic

Premier Icon dannyh

I particularly liked the tin can telephones as track and trace.

Lovely stuff.

Premier Icon binners

I see Ben Bradley is still digging

Premier Icon fingerbang
    Free Member

Here is the footballing wunderkind in action, now that Marcus rashford has outmanoeuvred him politically it’s a good job he has his footballing prowess to fall back on. Look at how he attacks the ball

Premier Icon binners

He’s not doing too bad at the day job here.

Go on lad!

Premier Icon scaredypants

toss-up isn’t it? Will he be knighted or sainted first?

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Rashford for PM!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/02/burberry-partners-with-marcus-rashford-to-fund-youth-centres

No doubt some more Tory MPs who would never help anyone will accuse him and Burberry of virtue signalling. Frankly so what if they are whilst also helping the kids this government has abandoned.

Premier Icon kelvin

He does it again…

Premier Icon Northwind

Good day to bury a humiliating and totally unnecesary u-turn I guess (this is definitely one where it’s as much about basic competence as anything else; there was no reason at all to be in this situation except that the PM and his team have no clue what they’re doing)

Premier Icon cynic-al

Of all BOjo’s **** ups this to me seems the most glaringly stupid.

He had to give in last time, how was this going to end any differently?

I heard MR on the radio, said he had thanked BoJo when he called him about the decision. I am equally mystified as to why he would thank him.

Premier Icon Sandwich

equally mystified as to why he would thank him

His mum brought him up to be well mannered (a woman who has succeeded beyond most parents wildest dreams). It costs nothing and ensures that Mr Rashford  will get another hearing if it’s needed (what am I saying if, more like when).

It is also mildly passive aggressive. Rashford won, he knows it and so does Mr Johnson and being gracious will no doubt irk the PM. There is no comeback for the PM without further ruining whatever is left of his reputation.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I think Marcus Rashford and/or whoever is advising him is being quite smart in not making this a party political issue, and keeping the government vaguely on side while putting a lot of pressure on them.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

I am equally mystified as to why he would thank him.

Because unlike our PM MR HAS a shred of decency and humility.

I imagine there will be a few back benchers pretty livid today, the ones who stood up to back BOJO and have now been left with their toxic support still in the public domain.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Because unlike our PM MR HAS a shred of decency and humility.

I’m slightly worried someone had to ask the question, shows how much the PMs attitude had poisoned everyone else.

Saw a display at the Everton v Man U game yesterday thanking Rashford for helping the kids of Merseyside. That was a lovely touch.

Premier Icon kimbers

Cowardly to the last from Johnson

Spoke to Rashford after Biden was confirmed yesterday evening

So Johnson could be certain the could escape the u-turn headlines in Sunday papers

His being 5pts behind in the polls obviously rattled Cummings
    Daft thing is his MPs spent the last 2 weeks defending their vote against it!

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Free Member

So Marcus Rashford has gone up even higher in my estimations of one of Britain’s all time decent top blokes.
    He’s just started to support reading for all children. Especially underprivileged children, many of whom won’t have access to books in their own home.

My brother, who is an ex teacher and is now a children’s author, has for many years been visiting schools to encourage children (especially boys of a young age) to read. He can no longer visit the schools and has to do the school visits via zoom, which isn’t quite the same, as he really does need to interact in person, to get the best out of a child during a school visit.
    Someone such as Marcus can do in a few weeks, what my brother has taken years of hard work to do. It’s wonderful.

Premier Icon binners

You can also get the measure of a man by the enemies he makes.

The Mail on Sunday ran an attempted hatchet job on him over the weekend, which basically amounted to ‘Black man has the bare-faced audacity to make some money through being talented and dedicated, and then invests it wisely’.

It was just the usual thinly-veiled racist bile that is their standard calling card, but it shows he’s doing something right and will doubtless backfire in making him even more popular with all but the type of people who read the Mail on Sunday, who probably still can’t get their heads around the ending of slavery

Premier Icon Murray

Binners has it. Instead of crashing fast cars or blowing his money on coke and hookers as some other well paid footballers have done in the past he’s investing his wages for the future when he won’t be a highly paid footballer. And putting his head above the parapet to do good knowing full well the abuse he’ll get. Top man.

I’d hoped that the Mail might change post Dacre went. Sadly not.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

You can also get the measure of a man by the enemies he makes.

The Mail on Sunday ran an attempted hatchet job on him over the weekend,

Didn’t Sterling call out the Mail for a similar issue, contrasting stories of how black footballers spent their wages compared to white footballers?

Rashford is getting pretty close to sainthood in my eyes.* He’s made the most of his amazing talent to lift him out of a hard childhood and is now trying to use his money and influence to help others get better life chances.

*Obviously, now he no longer needs the money himself, a charitable transfer to Ipswich Town would seal it 😎

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I think I’m developing a man crush on Mr Rashford. Keep doing good work young man!

Premier Icon kelvin

Didn’t Sterling call out the Mail for a similar issue

Yeah, attacking any footballer for building up a property portfolio, while they’re earning big in a short lived career, is the the hight of hypocrisy from these rags.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Free Member

From the Guardian…

And in a way, Rashford is the populist right’s worst nightmare: a young, black, working-class campaigner who bases his appeal not on culture war or tribal loyalty or fiery invective, but on unity, consensus, the common ground. He is a political campaigner who rejects party politics, rejects the idea that conflict and progress are the same thing, indeed refuses to acknowledge that there is anything remotely contentious or left-leaning about wanting hungry children fed.

Premier Icon binners

Didn’t Sterling call out the Mail for a similar issue

Sterling has been the tabloid presses default whipping boy for years. A mantle it looks like Marcus is about to inherit.

Again, he ticks all their ‘hate’ boxes. Young, black, working class, talented and in Sterlings case very outspoken about institutional racism

Premier Icon IHN

I think I’m developing a man crush on Mr Rashford.

Get off, he’s mine!

Premier Icon tomhoward

Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

Viewing 32 posts - 241 through 272 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.