Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 283 total)
  • Marcus Rashford
  • Klunk
    Free Member

he’s made it now, a squires strip!

absolutely **** marvelous 😀

pondo

Outstanding.

binners

Absolutely brilliant!

tomhoward

Our elected representatives take decisions on our behalf; those decisions do not necessarily represent the views of the majority of their constituents.

Unless the can use the ‘will of the people’ defence, when willingly driving our economy off an aforementioned cliff, for their own gain, after selling us a pack of lies.

ElShalimo

I just returned to this thread  to post that cartoon

Fantastic!

Klunk
    Free Member
    doomanic

dannyh
    Free Member

I particularly liked the tin can telephones as track and trace.

Lovely stuff.

binners

I see Ben Bradley is still digging

fingerbang
    Free Member

Here is the footballing wunderkind in action, now that Marcus rashford has outmanoeuvred him politically it’s a good job he has his footballing prowess to fall back on. Look at how he attacks the ball

binners

He’s not doing too bad at the day job here.

Go on lad!

scaredypants

toss-up isn’t it? Will he be knighted or sainted first?

grum
    Free Member

Rashford for PM!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/02/burberry-partners-with-marcus-rashford-to-fund-youth-centres

No doubt some more Tory MPs who would never help anyone will accuse him and Burberry of virtue signalling. Frankly so what if they are whilst also helping the kids this government has abandoned.

kelvin

He does it again…

Northwind

Good day to bury a humiliating and totally unnecesary u-turn I guess (this is definitely one where it’s as much about basic competence as anything else; there was no reason at all to be in this situation except that the PM and his team have no clue what they’re doing)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of all BOjo’s **** ups this to me seems the most glaringly stupid.

He had to give in last time, how was this going to end any differently?

I heard MR on the radio, said he had thanked BoJo when he called him about the decision. I am equally mystified as to why he would thank him.

Sandwich

equally mystified as to why he would thank him

His mum brought him up to be well mannered (a woman who has succeeded beyond most parents wildest dreams). It costs nothing and ensures that Mr Rashford  will get another hearing if it’s needed (what am I saying if, more like when).

It is also mildly passive aggressive. Rashford won, he knows it and so does Mr Johnson and being gracious will no doubt irk the PM. There is no comeback for the PM without further ruining whatever is left of his reputation.

grum
    Free Member

I think Marcus Rashford and/or whoever is advising him is being quite smart in not making this a party political issue, and keeping the government vaguely on side while putting a lot of pressure on them.

stumpyjon

I am equally mystified as to why he would thank him.

Because unlike our PM MR HAS a shred of decency and humility.

I imagine there will be a few back benchers pretty livid today, the ones who stood up to back BOJO and have now been left with their toxic support still in the public domain.

MoreCashThanDash

Because unlike our PM MR HAS a shred of decency and humility.

I’m slightly worried someone had to ask the question, shows how much the PMs attitude had poisoned everyone else.

Saw a display at the Everton v Man U game yesterday thanking Rashford for helping the kids of Merseyside. That was a lovely touch.

kimbers

Cowardly to the last from Johnson

Spoke to Rashford after Biden was confirmed yesterday evening

So Johnson could be certain the could escape the u-turn headlines in Sunday papers

His being 5pts behind in the polls obviously rattled Cummings
    Daft thing is his MPs spent the last 2 weeks defending their vote against it!

Bunnyhop

So Marcus Rashford has gone up even higher in my estimations of one of Britain’s all time decent top blokes.
    He’s just started to support reading for all children. Especially underprivileged children, many of whom won’t have access to books in their own home.

My brother, who is an ex teacher and is now a children’s author, has for many years been visiting schools to encourage children (especially boys of a young age) to read. He can no longer visit the schools and has to do the school visits via zoom, which isn’t quite the same, as he really does need to interact in person, to get the best out of a child during a school visit.
    Someone such as Marcus can do in a few weeks, what my brother has taken years of hard work to do. It’s wonderful.

binners

You can also get the measure of a man by the enemies he makes.

The Mail on Sunday ran an attempted hatchet job on him over the weekend, which basically amounted to ‘Black man has the bare-faced audacity to make some money through being talented and dedicated, and then invests it wisely’.

It was just the usual thinly-veiled racist bile that is their standard calling card, but it shows he’s doing something right and will doubtless backfire in making him even more popular with all but the type of people who read the Mail on Sunday, who probably still can’t get their heads around the ending of slavery

Murray

Binners has it. Instead of crashing fast cars or blowing his money on coke and hookers as some other well paid footballers have done in the past he’s investing his wages for the future when he won’t be a highly paid footballer. And putting his head above the parapet to do good knowing full well the abuse he’ll get. Top man.

I’d hoped that the Mail might change post Dacre went. Sadly not.

MoreCashThanDash

You can also get the measure of a man by the enemies he makes.

The Mail on Sunday ran an attempted hatchet job on him over the weekend,

Didn’t Sterling call out the Mail for a similar issue, contrasting stories of how black footballers spent their wages compared to white footballers?

Rashford is getting pretty close to sainthood in my eyes.* He’s made the most of his amazing talent to lift him out of a hard childhood and is now trying to use his money and influence to help others get better life chances.

*Obviously, now he no longer needs the money himself, a charitable transfer to Ipswich Town would seal it 😎

neilnevill
    Free Member

I think I’m developing a man crush on Mr Rashford. Keep doing good work young man!

kelvin

Didn’t Sterling call out the Mail for a similar issue

Yeah, attacking any footballer for building up a property portfolio, while they’re earning big in a short lived career, is the the hight of hypocrisy from these rags.

Coyote
    Free Member

From the Guardian…

And in a way, Rashford is the populist right’s worst nightmare: a young, black, working-class campaigner who bases his appeal not on culture war or tribal loyalty or fiery invective, but on unity, consensus, the common ground. He is a political campaigner who rejects party politics, rejects the idea that conflict and progress are the same thing, indeed refuses to acknowledge that there is anything remotely contentious or left-leaning about wanting hungry children fed.

binners

Didn’t Sterling call out the Mail for a similar issue

Sterling has been the tabloid presses default whipping boy for years. A mantle it looks like Marcus is about to inherit.

Again, he ticks all their ‘hate’ boxes. Young, black, working class, talented and in Sterlings case very outspoken about institutional racism

IHN

I think I’m developing a man crush on Mr Rashford.

Get off, he’s mine!

tomhoward

MSP

binners

If you’ve not watched the documentary about all his efforts to end child hunger then it’s a must watch. For a 23 year old he really is a truly incredible and inspiring human being.

What comes across is the feeling that he’s only just getting started

If you fancy watching something positive then give this a viewing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qq41/marcus-rashford-feeding-britains-children

kelvin

I’m currently wanting to praise his mum. In an alternative universe, she’d have just been put in the House of Lords instead of ______.

binners

His relationship with his mum is lovely. Nice to see all the people around him are all his old mates from school.

The Tory MPs slagging him off and doing all their posturing about skivers on benefits come out of this looking really well. Nice of the BBC to include them, just to remind us (not that we needed it) what an utter shower of complete ****s our present government are

Riksbar

Considering the PM, responding to a pre-arranged question from a woman who had lost two family members to COVID failed to offer condolences, I was impressed that a 22 year old, coming off playing a premiership football match and getting an unexpected call from the PM at home, had the presence of mind to not only thank the PM but to also thank him on behalf of the families who would get the food. As you say, making feeding hungry families an unpolitical act (on his part at least).

binners

His refusal to be drawn into politics has been pretty impressive too. He’s risen above it. His comment when attempted to be drawn on it

“This isn’t about politics, this is about humanity”

was almost as impressive as his 16 minute 2nd-half hat-trick against Leipzig in the Champions League 😃

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I agree that the voucher system is a pain to administer for schools and maybe occasionally puts food in the wrong pockets, but it’s much more effective than the alternatives.
    Amazingly my local MP William Wragg voted against the original plan even though he trained as a (not very good) teacher with teach first and worked in a school where kids routinely only got one meal a day. He now obviously tweets about how fantastic it is and how well boris did!

Rash Ford is 23? I feel ashamed of myself, just like I did when my wife pointed out Roger Federer is the same age as us!

anagallis_arvensis

Strayed onto the bbc news yesterday, how did Rashford not win SPOTY??!!?? I’ll admit I’ve never seen him play but even so what the **** is wrong with the world.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Didn’t he get his own award and wasn’t therefore on the shortlist?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘Marcus Rashford’ is closed to new replies.