Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Marin B-17 Vs Rift zone
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Was looking too get a rift zone but seem to be out of stock everywhere in XL

Have seen a B-17 and it’s listed as 29er compatible

Have read somewhere that the frames are the same but seems a bit different when looking at geo chart on Marin but not sure if thats to do with different components fitted

Can anyone confirm if the frames are they same or if not how the B17 is with 29er wheels?

Thanks

canopy
    Free Member

I have a B-17.

I’ve read that it is exactly the same frame. It looks that way.
    Main thing is the b-17 base model comes with a dropper stock.

I now have 3 wheelsets.

the stock 27.5+ 38mm ones.
    a set of 27,5+ 38mm stans major s1 that comes on a b17.3 (now with 2.8 dhf/dhr combo)
    and a set of 29er 27mm internal easton ones (off of someones santa cruz hightower build). 2.5 dhf front, 2.4 ardent rear.

Bike is great with 29s on, and very versatile. I choose which wheels based on the planned ride. 29s for more climby/XC days but plus for trail bashing/jumpy days.

here is a crap video/slideshow I made at the weekend. featuring all 3.

The reason I now have 3 wheelsets is that I am building a santa cruz chameleon which also does 27.5+ and 29. I’ll probably keep the stans on the b17 and put the 29s on the chameleon. the stock wheels (and original tyres) are for when my son is a bit older on the chameleon or if it sell the b-17. I’m very sold on the plus & 29 concept.

So i have three options for each bike. six in total!

I also permanently have rotors and cassettes on each wheelset so can swap wheels in 5 mins.

The guy in the blue shirt is me, on the b-17 running 29s.

kula72
    Free Member

B17 quoted with 130mm forks I think. They take up to 140mm well but obviously small geo changes here and there.

canopy
    Free Member

Yeah 130 stock.. got a new top cap and bottomless tokens for mine to firm it up a bit under load/help on super steep stuff. Worked wonders!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Marin B-17 Vs Rift zone’ is closed to new replies.