Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Manchester T1 Hotel
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Anybody know which hotel is closest to T1 at Manchester airport?

I’ve found the Crowne Plaza, Hilton and Clayton but I’m not clear on which is closest. We’ll be walking over with 9 bags, 1 bike, 1 pushchair and a 2 year old so want to be as close as possible and avoid a bus.

Help!

BadlyWiredDog

Will the hotels not have a free shuttle to the terminal? From memory they’re all about the same distance fwiw.

Edit: I get that fitting that lot on a shuttle is slightly faffy, but walking over is surely going to be even worse, even though the hotels are relatively close to the terminals anyway.

fossy

Also the Raddison ! All pretty much of a muchness – still a walk !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the Raddison is on the same link as the train station

mrjmt
    Free Member

Edit: I get that fitting that lot on a shuttle is slightly faffy, but walking over is surely going to be even worse, even though the hotels are relatively close to the terminals anyway.

I was hoping to get a trolley, put the luggage on it, put the toddler on it, skip along to the terminal smiling and holding hands with my wife like the perfect family.

I realise in reality I’m going to be carrying a crying toddler while my angry wife pushes a trolley with a wonkey wheel and a bike that keeps falling off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just re reading your post, might be easier to stay a little bit away from the terminal and pre book a decent big taxi/minibus to collect you from the door of the hotel and deposit you at the terminal door (where there are trolleys available for hire) rather than the slog across from the hotels – I think you still have the lift faff getting into T1 from the station link

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just re reading your post, might be easier to stay a little bit away from the terminal and pre book a decent big taxi/minibus to collect you from the door of the hotel and deposit you at the terminal door (where there are trolleys available for hire) rather than the slog across from the hotels – I think you still have the lift faff getting into T1 from the station link

I like this thinking. Reminds me I need to do the same at the other end.

Stupid question possibly, but what happens with a toddler in a taxi? Her car seat has gone in a shipping container, so is it legal for a child to be in a taxi with no car seat?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stupid question possibly, but what happens with a toddler in a taxi? Her car seat has gone in a shipping container, so is it legal for a child to be in a taxi with no car seat?

Does he not have a crate 😉 No idea on the rules fore that but a good airport taxi company might be able to help. Where are you landing?

BadlyWiredDog

I was hoping to get a trolley, put the luggage on it, put the toddler on it, skip along to the terminal smiling and holding hands with my wife like the perfect family.

I’ve pushed a bike on a trolley and with a big duffle across Manchester Airport a few times now and it’s pretty badly designed for pedestrian use – the assumption is that you’ll be on a shuttle bus or driving. You find yourself trekking across carparks, slaloming through bollards with the bike being just too wide and dodging homicidal cabbies desperate to pick up their next fare.

It’s perfectly feasible, but it’s not a pleasant experience, though it’s nice not being dependent on a shuttle bus.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Does he not have a crate 😉 No idea on the rules fore that but a good airport taxi company might be able to help. Where are you landing?

Unfortunately not, she chewed her way out of it. Landing in Melbourne so after some research we’ll just head to the taxi queue and ask the kind chap for a ‘maxi taxi’ to be sent forthwith.

It’s perfectly feasible, but it’s not a pleasant experience, though it’s nice not being dependent on a shuttle bus.

The more I think about it (and read above), I think we’ll go with Mike’s advice and stick with a hotel a little further out and book a mini bus to take us to the terminal door.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m pretty sure there’s at least one Manchester taxi company that’ll provide a child-seat on request. Google seems to back that up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately not, she chewed her way out of it. Landing in Melbourne so after some research we’ll just head to the taxi queue and ask the kind chap for a ‘maxi taxi’ to be sent forthwith.

Yep it’s all good there, normally no more than 10-15 min wait, by the looks of it there will be a lot less Murray fans piling in so should be a quieter than normal, they are happy to grab a maxi for you but the same issue may be there with booster seats so you might need a cheap one for the 2 airport runs

scuttler

Uk childseat taxi rules here
    https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

Assuming you or Mrs is insisting on one, IME most have them or will bring them at you request but you might want to be specific with the type. No idea about Melbourne rules but it’s likely one of the taxis in the queue will have what you need.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Radisson is the only one which is properly walkable and is fully covered pedestrian only access.

I’ve stayed at a couple over the years, Clayton is possibly a hundred yards closer than some of the others, has a free shuttle and is spitting distance from the main terminal building but i wouldn’t do that walk if you paid me as it’s several road crossings at junctions, very very busy with traffic and not (pre recent/current road works) pavemented all the way.

Depending who you’re flying with you may be able to drop bags the night before so you’ve only people and push chair to concern you at the relevant time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Manchester T1 Hotel’ is closed to new replies.