Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Manchester parking
  • ehrob

Apologies for the slightly duplicated thread.

Got a conference at piccadilly gardens tomorrow. Currently staying at my folks in huddersfield.

After it I’ll be driving back to edinburgh. Presuming it’ll be easier if I leave the car somewhere and get public transport into the conference.

But where?

BillMC

The NCP carpark behind Piccadilly is easy to access and is only minutes from the Mancunian Way.

dannybgoode

Chorlton Street car park is very accessible and a couple of minutes walk from Piccadilly Gardens also.

ebennett

Depends when the conference ends and what route you’ll be taking to Edinburgh! If it’s close to 5 and you’re going M61-M6 you probably want to leave the car somewhere in N/W Manchester so you can get onto the M61 easily without having to go round the M60 (or go on it as little as possible) as it’ll be nose to tail. Somewhere on the Bury or Eccles Metrolink line might be a good shout.

If it’s finishing before 4 then driving from city centre is probably easiest. The central car parks are all very expensive, but you can leave it at Store St (near Piccadilly station) car park for less than a tenner all day, though you’ll need to get there relatively early if you want a space!

globalti
    Free Member

ebennet has it, above. Try to leave Manchester after 3.30 and you’re goosed. But you’ve probably already made the decision by now.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d be parking at the MEN, and then walking across town.
    It’s really not that far..

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Ladywell (on the Eccles end of the tram line) has a large Park and Ride. Handy for the M602 / M60 and off and away!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Personally I’d avoid actually driving into Manchester or anywhere near Manchester city centre and aim for a town on the outskirts and get a train in. I usually park up at Hazel Grove and get a train in from there – the trains are every 20 mins or so, they don’t cost a lot. However Hazel Grove is the wrong side of Manchester for you, so a town towards your side would be good.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

And if you do try and drive in central Manchester, try and avoid the bus lanes! I thought I had, but got stung for £30. Doh.

globalti
    Free Member

I often drive into Manchester but every time I do somebody has erected another tower block or painted another bus lane so I have to keep re-learning my route, which is usually to the Novotel on Portland street to pick up overseas customers. The city is absolutely hopping and there’s so much building going on that it changes by the week.

beer247
    Free Member

Train to Manchester Piccadilly and back, then just drive to Edinburgh from your parents?

Think its about 35 mins travel time.

Driving in and around Manchester is a nightmare after about 3pm.

globalti
    Free Member

Not just Manchester but ANYWHERE in England. The amount of traffic is just shocking and smart motorways and new roads are just sticking plasters.

Rich_s

Fwiw I was in manc yesterday at Piccadilly gardens. It was a **** nightmare. Ended up dumping the car and getting the train in. Even that was delayed. Then unwound the trip leaving at 4.15, took over an hour and a half and two trains to get back to birchwood. Then drove to woking, getting here at 10.

Manchester is shit for traffic. And trains. So either go early and park in somewhere like NCP the Grand (5 quid all day in before 9) or do the tram thing. Or the train from Huddersfield (hope you like standing).

Just make sure you have very low expectations and you’ll be fine.

Cougar

Ladywell (on the Eccles end of the tram line) has a large Park and Ride.

Look at Whitefield also.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m working in the new Co-op building to the north of the centre, plenty of cheap car parking here with a 10 min walk to Piccadilly Gardens.

globalti
    Free Member

ANOTHER new Coop building?

mudshark
    Free Member

Newish?!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Manchester parking’ is closed to new replies.