Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Male cyclists: Who shaves?
  • SaxonRider

In light of that ’gay transvestite’ thread, who on here actually shaves their legs?

jonathan
    Free Member

I did for a couple of seasons. It’s nice. Try it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I shave nothing. However, for some reason I do not grow hairs on my legs so often get accused of shaving them, which I don’t.

fasthaggis

I just use VEET .It’s nice,try it.Oh,and check out some of the reviews 😉

Yak

I do.
    I’m not naturally hairy, except for my legs which are like Chewbacca’s. Much better without all that hair.

SaxonRider

This Veet review on Amazon is screamingly good. 😀

40mpg

Never have, but occasionally get accused of doing it.

30 years of coming back from a ride covered in mud, and then dry rubbing it off my legs before going indoors, has proved an effective depilatory.

lunge

I have in the past, I quite liked it, shaved, toned, lightly tanned legs look pretty good actually.

However, a combination of my wife being less keen and me not really riding at a high enough standard to justify it mean I stopped. It seemed a tad silly to shave them for a sportive or a ride in the woods.

darthshearer
    Free Member

I do, have done for 15+ years now, feels odd when it grows long over the winter when I am less @rsed

mcj78
    Free Member

from the waist down I look like i’ve been tarred & feathered rolled on a barber’s floor so i’d have a lot to contend with, unless I just done the legs in which case i’d look like I had a pair of mohair boxers on… usually have a trim for summer – number 3 or something, then blend it back in from the thigh up… get some funny looks asking for that in the local hairdresser i tell you 😕

gatsby
    Free Member

I shave em, have done for years as it’s pretty much the norm if you race – you look a bit odd with hairy legs.

I still shave them as I race time trials. Had a particularly bad off in June which saw me sliding along on the tarmac for 25 meters. My left leg, shoulder and elbow were skinned pretty badly, legs healed up in no time. The nurses commented at the time that they wish all gravel-rash victims had shaved!

Wish I could say the same for the rest of me!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Feels great. Used to in the 90s, when all MTB was a XC and all MTBers were basically roadies with flat handlebars on slightly less skinny tyres.

Probably wouldn’t now. Although a secret part of me would love to again (see: ‘feels great’ above).

It’s a bit deviant. And my GF would probably disown me.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I go all the way baby.

edit) only if I’m shaving someone else’s legs 😆

franki
    Free Member

I used to when I raced (road / CX & XC) years ago and before baggies became the norm for MTBing.

More recently, after several years of only riding MTBs, I’ve just bought a (Gravel) road bike and face the dilemma of riding it in baggies or shaving the legs and wearing lycra shorts. I managed to find some quite non-baggy baggy shorts from Club Ride as a compromise, so they’re keeping the razors at bay!
    (I just can’t be doing with hairy legs with lycra shorts. )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only if I’m stravaing my sportive but apart from that the beard stays. I have various levels of race trim through.

Nowhere near enough cash for razor blades to do the rest

Gary_M
    Free Member

it’s too gay.

There’s no such thing.

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope although a fair bit has worn off

scaled
    Free Member

I have bald patches on my knees from the pads, that looks a bit weird.

Being this hairy though, i’d end up with the furry hotpants conundrum

Haze

Real men epilate.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Testicles, back and face…oh, you meant legs. No, that’d be way too far for a metrosexual man like me…. 😀

everyone
    Free Member

Surely having sex with another man is as gay as it gets?

I don’t shave, I’m not fast enough!

hooli

I can hardly be bothered to shave my face, not going to happen for my legs.

D0NK

Tried it last summer but was a right pain, way too much trouble to keep up. Also got a fair bit of chafing on my quads/knees when I wore baggies or waterproof shorts (or jeans!). I clippered this summer instead, similar effect but with less hassle and chafing (but still a bit of both)

TiRed

Epilation, or veet shower cream if the suitcase of courage is locked. No point shaving you need to go in at the root for proper hair removal.

njee20
    Free Member

Used to. Great talking point. Don’t now, wife hates it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I last did it for dressing in drag for charidee.

It feels odd at first but you get used to it and it makes the calves look ace! Fake tan helped immensely also.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes there is! Shaving legs is a gay as it gets and you should never go full gay!

Really, I didn’t know that. Did you learn that at primary school today?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Being called “Rene” is pretty gay.

philjunior
    Free Member

I ride a fair few road miles and a bit of racing on the velodrome, but I’m not shaving my legs.

Partly as I wouldn’t really know where to stop…

crazy-legs

You sort of leave a pair of “hair shorts”. Go higher up the outside than inside but on the inner thigh, stop well before you get to that horrible itching of hair growing back in awkward places.

But don’t then go and wear a pair of Speedos, hair shorts look very wrong!

I do mine in summer but then just let it grow over winter. Usually my last shave of the season is the day before the Three Peaks CX and my first of the year is just before the Eddie Soens (if I’m actually racing the Soens). I do ride track but don’t do track racing anymore so no real need to shave over winter.

m360
    Free Member

It’s actually proven to be more aerodynamic NOT to shave as the hairs smooth the airflow over the legs. Hairy guys go faster.

That’s reason enough not to shave IMO.

theotherjonv

I run a grade 1 clipper over mid thigh and down. Stops the worst of the mud clinging, while meaning I can still claim I’m a no shaver.

philjunior
    Free Member

You sort of leave a pair of “hair shorts”. Go higher up the outside than inside but on the inner thigh, stop well before you get to that horrible itching of hair growing back in awkward places.

But don’t then go and wear a pair of Speedos, hair shorts look very wrong!

Yeah, I kind of know where I *should* stop if I did it. But you know, being very hairy all over I’d probably be tempted to remove everything, which would look strange with a beard.

stevious

I do. Don’t like the look of hairy legs in lycra.

Takes about 5 mins.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s actually proven to be more aerodynamic NOT to shave as the hairs smooth the airflow over the legs. Hairy guys go faster.

Spesh found the opposite last year, they found significant savings from shaving in their wind tunnel.

garage-dweller

Spesh found the opposite last year, they found significant savings from shaving in their wind tunnel.

Yes but it’s not as convenient as doing it at home where the aero advantage is lost.

medoramas
    Free Member

What about weight reduction? I’d loose a fair chunk if I shaved my legs… 🙄

darthshearer
    Free Member

Its not all aero though and as said above that was poo pooed.

I get a sports massage every couple of weeks during the season and every month out. With hairy legs I would assume that f@cking hurts!

chum3
    Free Member

I’m thinking about it for winter / muddy xc racing. I generally wear 3/4 bibs anyway, so only have hairy shin/calves showing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

shave the rear only – that’s where the massage happens.

Win/win.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Male cyclists: Who shaves?’ is closed to new replies.