Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • malaysia holidays anyone?
  • sadexpunk

next year we’re thinking of swapping our usual 2 x cheap and cheerful greece holidays, for one winter jobbie around november/december and thinking of malaysia.

considered thailand, vietnam or cambodia too, but been to thailand 3 times and malaysia appeals more than the others.

been doing a bit of googling, singapore, kuala lumpur, penang, langkawi etc but thought id ask for real world experiences on here.

probs be a fortnight, dont mind (in fact probably prefer) multi stops, dont mind booking stuff on the hoof, internal flights, car hire etc.

i also believe that different areas have different ‘rainy seasons’, so would prefer a region thats not wet around then.

we love our white sandy beaches, bath-warm sea, wildlife, scenery and laaaaazing around more than action/adventure/hiking but also realise its a long way to go to just laze on a beach with a kindle, so would like a few sights to see too. also look forward to nice warm evenings with good food and drink with a friendly, chilled vibe, not too busy.

what you got for me peeps?

ta

Kato

I have family in KL and Penang and have been many times. Penang is getting really busy. Personally I went to Cambodia for a week last time I was in Malaysia and fell in love with the place. It’s a really fascinating country and I recommend you check it out if you’re going over that way

user-removed
    Free Member

Another one with family who used to live there (now in Singers). Only visited once but Penang is outstanding as is KL but the Cameron Highlands were literally a breath of fresh air after the claustrophobic, frantic pace of KL. Especially recommended if you like a nice cup of tea!

nickjb
    Free Member

Check the weather. We wanted to do a trip to the wilder bits on the east but the timing meant it was wet season and most things were shut so we went elsewhere. Keep meaning to try again but seem to end up in Thailand, which has been fantastic every time.

3phase
    Free Member

I found Singapore KL and Penang a little boring, the food is amazing but apart from that its a little too civilised.

I prefered Siem Reap in Cambodia and Hoi An / Danang area of Vietnam has loads packed into a smallish area.

sadexpunk

hmmmm more love for cambodia then, ill have a butchers at that too then. had family in phuket for a good few years so had a few hols over there, so we’re now keen to see a bit of elsewhere too.

itd be november/december time, so not sure which areas are going to be ‘monsoony’ around that time. ideally itd be 50/50 between beach/lazing and getting out and about to see a bit of the country too.

thanks

* goes off to google cambodia

jambalaya
    Free Member

I lived in Singapore for 2 years and have travelled around Asia quite a bit before and after

I favour Vietnam over all other countries around there. Having said that Malayasia offers a lot especially if you travel about. Our last long hokiday was Southern Laos + a bit if Thailand and Ankor Wat (my 3rd.visit) r fwiw

Flying in/out of KL may well be cheaper than other regional hubs. Links into Borneo are very good and a top tip would be to look at Sandakan / Kinabatangan River / Borneo Rainforest Lodge in Danam Valkey (bit spendy maybe but 3 nights midnweek ?)

[video]http://vimeo.com/168653121[/video]

Penang old town worth a day or two – local food of roti prata and beef rendang (“British East India etc)

Langkawai for beech / resort R&R

KL – not for me, big grubby Asian city

Mountain park and railway ride popular with some (I’ve not done) can be colder than you’d think

If you can find.a way to visit Siem Reap / Ankor Wat that’s a regional “must do”

Everyone uses Lonley Planet – so if you follow it you’ll be “safe” but on the tourist trail

GrahamS

Went to Malaysia a few times in 2002/03 as you used to be able to get free side-trips when travelling to Australia from the UK via KL.

Langkawi – we liked. We spent a couple of days exploring the islands on a yacht, run by some mad American guy who gave up the stockmarket and gone to Langkawi to sail. When we were there it was still pretty easy to avoid the main tourist bits on foot. I gather it has expanded a lot since then.

KL – was an experience. A hot, busy, incredibly sweaty city. Definitely worth visiting if you like urban stuff. The night markets were interesting, especially during Ramadan when they were very busy with people breaking fast.
    Not sure I’d do a whole holiday there, but worth a day or two. Some good shopping to be had if that floats your boat. There are a lot of excursions that go from there too.

We also had a good time in Malaysian Borneo too. Think we stayed in Kota Kinabalu. Not sure. But we visited the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre which was great and we spent a night on a turtle sanctuary island where we stayed up to see a turtle come on from the sea and lay her eggs in the sand (up close – we could literally stroke her shell) and then we got to release hatchling turtles by hand back into the sea. There was also a trip to a Buddhist temple and a chance to meet the local sea gypsies in their homes (not as crass as it sounds).

craig24
    Free Member

I visited a few years back and did KL, Penang (George Town) and Langkawi

KL is a big crazy city, a few nights is all you need though. Lots of good food and great cheap street food. The street food in KL is amazing and cheap (Chinese / Indian / Nonya).Interesting things to see like the night markets, just to sit round and people watch. Would definitely recommend a food tour, we did this one –

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g298570-d1955672-Reviews-Food_Tour_Malaysia-Kuala_Lumpur_Wilayah_Persekutuan.html

George Town – is Penang’s capital city. It’s a really interesting place to wonder round, it’s like it’s been frozen in time. Amazing street art and cool buildings hid down every little street. Street food again is some of the best I’ve had anywhere in Asia. Just google it! My favourite place we visited in Malaysia.

Langkawi – Beautiful tropical island, still easy enough to avoid the busiest bits. Best thing is to get on a boat for the day and discover what the place has to offer.

mcj78
    Free Member

Went to KL / Penang / Langkawi 2 years ago for 2 and a bit weeks – partially because Thailand was at least twice as expensive for flights – really enjoyed it all, would go back & try and get to Borneo too.

Got a cracking (literally) massage at the blind massage centre in KL- kinda charity run place that trains blind folk how to torture folk & get paid for it, check it out if you end up there – I could barely walk the rest of the day, must have been good.

Prior to that trip we’d been to Sri Lanka & both me and the wife liked Malaysia more I think, dunno why – just seemed a bit less likely to be involved in a terrible traffic accident for one 😐

edit: forgot about the durians – they’re f**king honking, I refused to eat at the street food market the first night as I honestly thought there was raw sewage leaking from somewhere closeby 😆

GrahamS

I refused to eat at the street food market the first night as I honestly thought there was raw sewage leaking from somewhere closeby

To be fair, that might be true as well. They seem pretty fond of open drains there. 😀

I vividly remember going to use a public “toilet” on a coach stop in the middle of nowhere. It was literally just a hut housing an open concrete trench that contained a good few weeks worth of raw excrement. I had no idea I could hold my breath that long.

Kato

Worth going to KL just to see the Petronas Towers at night!

rmacattack
    Free Member

the best food i have ever had was at a place in penang just off lovers lane near the wooden jeti. also was a place at the other end of lovers lane maybe a street over. just basic boiled rice and chicken but it tasted so good.

GrahamS

Yep, I never liked prawns till we were at a little outdoor restaurant in Langkawi. Just us at one table and the owner/waiter/chef sat with his mates at another. Every now and then he’d get up and bring us a dish to try. 😀 One was some big prawns, caught fresh that day, cooked really simply in a buttery sauce but just delicious.

I can also recall going to a little locals place and asking for Tomyam Ayam (Malaysian take on chicken Tom Yum). I knew it would be good when the concerned bloke said “You sure? Spicy!” 😆 (it was!)

marti
    Free Member

We flew to Kl then booked cheap flights to travel to the islands when we were there.
    I really liked tiomen island for chilling out.
    Was cheap to get to. And has accomodation from budget to super high end.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, invaluable info as ever…..

done a lot more googling/asking around and based on our preferred criteria (sandy beaches, clear sea, lazing but still seeing interesting places and good food/drink), then its looking like the east coast is better.

all the google results seem to be the usual KL/penang/langkawi jobbies, i dont see much for the east coast which puzzles me a little.

obviously if we want to see this side of malaysia we need to adjust timings, so it looks like march/april 2019, pushing it back a few months to miss the monsoons.

a rough itinerary for that side seems to be flying into KL for a day or so, heading east and visiting places like kuantan, perhentian islands, rawa island, and as marti suggests ^^^ rawa island. maybe heading down and seeing singapore if we get time….
    then possibly heading back up west coast back to KL for flight home.

anyone visited any of the places, or the east coast in general?

car hire be best, or trains do you think, considering we may be a few days on the islands?

thanks again

benp1

I also have family in Penang and KL. I’ve been quite a few times, work and play

Borneo is amazing and worth seeing but you might struggle to make the timing work. The Eastern side is not as developed but easier to get to than going to Borneo, it’s all slow though.

My parents go to Malaysia every year. Food is always amazing, lots of things to see and do. KL is a huge city so nice to wonder around in but after a while you realise it’s just a big city, a nice Asian one though. Lots of malls, all open till 10pm. It’s definitely worth checking out the night market (Pasar Malam)

You can get a coach to Penang if you want, it’s cheap and easy (make sure you get the luxury one). I’ve used the plan and the coach and they’re much of a muchness all in.

I’ve not been to Langkawi but heard good things about it

sarkmeister
    Free Member

We travelled through Malaysia as part of a trip combined with Thailand about 5 years ago.

We did Perhentian Islands and Borneo (climbed Kinabalu, stayed in Kota Kinabalu, and a couple of days in Sandakan).

I’d definitely recommend Perhentian Islands. It’s one of the nicest places I’ve ever been. We stayed in Abdul Chalets (fairly basic beach huts) on Perhentian Besar. The beach on that side of the island is spectacular, with really good snorkelling just yards from the beach. It’s a bit limited when it comes to restaurants, but there are about 4 or 5 that do BBQ’d fish every night. We also caught a water taxi across to the smaller island that has a bit more life on Long Beach.

This is 5 yrs ago, so I hope it hasn’t been over developed since.

It’s worth noting that beer is expensive (£2?), and Abdul Chalets don’t even sell it. If you have spare space in your bag I’ve buy a few on the mainland before you get on the boat.

Borneo was really good, but might be difficult to fit into your plans. Also, Sandakan is kind of out of bounds now I think (wasn’t great anyway). Mt Kinabalu was definitely worth doing, but bloody freezing at the top.

dcl

We have relatives in Kota Kinabula, Borneo and have used this as a base for a couple of holidays and there is loads to do.
    They have all the posh island resorts as well as basic stuff. We used a rented apartment in the town as a base so saw the real town life.
    We went on some trips up the mountain to the rain forest as well the tip of Borneo to the deserted beaches.
    It is possible to easily hire and drive as well as have your own driver and guide. We have done both.
    Would definitely suggest booking yourself.
    From KK we drove across the island to the Orungutans stopping high in the mountain at the tea plantation as well as an isolated lodge.
    Basically loads to do and lots to visit.
    It can be basic at times depending on how much you pay and how much you haggle! We reckon it is not much more than 2 weeks in the med.
    Last time we went via Singapore for a few days.
    …finally you can also have guided mountain biking in the rain forest!!

dave3fc
    Free Member

Just returned.
    As has already been said KL was a (mostly very nice) large Asian city, cheap food and approx £3 for a beer. Much nicer than I imagined it was going to be, especially around Petronos towers.(money area obviously)
    Easily half prices of major uk city, street food / hawker food halls especially great.
    Got around via uber, dirt cheap.
    Also went to Cambodia (Siam reap) for a week, £50 per night (for 2) in a luxurious hotel 4* b&b, pool etc.
    Pub street $0.50c for a beer, $3 cocktails, $5 meals, awesome food and bars.
    Angkor Wat was great too, Very humid / hot tho…
    Was 3rd world-ish around Angkor (but that was expected tbh).
    Just for context, not sure if I’d take young kids tho unless adventuress type (too hot maybe?)

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s a pity Chewy is banned as he is Malaysian

OP I will have a gander at the Lonley Planet guide tomorrow re East Coast

Tiomon Island is popular with weekenders from Singapore for diving and getting away from it all (ie not a standard hotel beach resort dominated place)

ricardo666
    Free Member

I went out in August. Have been planning a visit to the temples for a few years. I’d met someone who worked for grasshopper, on one of the skyrides I led a couple of years ago. Anyway an amazing part of the world, the food is amazing, the people are really friendly. interesting culture, stunning temples, throughly recommended.

https://www.grasshopperadventures.com/en/long-tours/the-bangkok-to-saigon-explorer.html

Only problem was the multiple flights. Well looked after with Etihad. The staff in Mumbai airport are on another planet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘malaysia holidays anyone?’ is closed to new replies.