Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Malaga airport, car hire?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Any better than others?
    Any to avoid?
    Going to Nerja in June & need a car for 2 weeks.
    Ta.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Malaga car is great.

kilo

I used Sixt last month, they were a little more expensive than the cheapest option but we’re fine to deal with – no queues, did not try to rip me off.
    As an aside I struggled to find a petrol station when dropping the car off (full to full on fuel) so may be worth figuring that out in advance

chrisdw
    Free Member

Another vote for sixt. The guys we went out with said they always use them as there’s never a queue and never had any spurious damage claims from them.

There wasn’t a queue. And they didn’t question anything when we handed it back. They gave us a nice caddy maxi which was handy!

alibongo001

We have used malaga car a few times for a cycling weekend

cheap – no issues on handover etc

Sometimes they received a very dirty Doblo after doing uplifts for each other on the dusty roads!

franksinatra

Gold are cheap but I have queued for 2hours before to collect a car from them. Tip top tip though, if you book ahead with Gold you do not need to queue in the terminal, you can go direct to the office in the car park, no queues there.

boombang
    Free Member

Worth trying doyouspain.com from most Spanish airports.
    Always worth too getting your own waiver insurance for not a lot (sorry if teaching to suck eggs), loads of photos before and after, and even cleaning the car if gets really dirty.

sadexpunk

we used malagacar and they were spot on, couldnt fault them.

be careful tho and do your research….. there are two car hire firms that sound the same, malagacar.com and malagacarhire.com i think. use the first one, not the second.

scuttler

Not Gold. Not ever.

Kahurangi

Gold, Rhodium etc. have horrible reputation. Avoid.

We sued Budget. The Car was fine and the staff pleasant but Budget use a shared desk/staff with Avis and got punted to the back of the queue every time an Avis customer joined the queue. 😑

franksinatra

We sued Budget

Where there is blame there is a claim but that seems a bit OTT!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Indeed Gold have always been dodgy, but they’ve been bought out and are even worse now.

Mat

We’ve used this lot before:
    brunos car hire

I’ve a peverse habit of picking small ‘seat of your pants’ type car hire companies on holiday. It’s generally been a cheaper and a less frustrating experience. None of the trying aggressively to upsell you insurance/CDW which seems to go with the big names. Granted with this lot we were stood in a multistorey carpark thinking we’d gone to the wrong place before some guy screaches up to our floor and hands us the keys. That type of company always seem to have laid back drop-offs too, leave the keys in the glove box in a designated carpark and go! I can appreciate this might not be for everyone though!

jate
    Free Member

We used Budget and they were fine. Very reasonable value too given the size of barge we booked.
    Interestingly we recently used Rhodium/Gold Car from Verona (stupidly I hadn’t sussed that Rhodium = Gold Car……). Was full of trepidation, particularly returning the (what had been virtually brand new and entirely unmarked) car after someone had managed to reverse into it and put some nice scratches in the bumper. However the nice Gold Car man signed it off on the spot without complaint & given I now have the formal invoice from them for €0.00 I am optimistic that a bullet has been duly dodged.

shinton
    Free Member

We just came back from Malaga and have used Helle Hollis for the last 4 years and they are excellent. They don’t even check the car when you get back at busy times, which proved useful this time as I didn’t quite get reverse when backing out of the parking bay and put a small but noticeable ding on the bottom of the front bumper.

jimdubleyou

Gold car turn into moody buggers if you don’t buy their full CDW insurance.

jate
    Free Member

I was expecting the CDW excess hard sell from Gold Car/Rhodium in Verona but it didn’t quite work out that way. Italian lady asked if I wanted it. I said I didn’t as I have my own annual policy. She said ok then. And that was the end of it.

muddyground
    Free Member

Gold used recently. Car ok, but second the CDW insurance scam @ £200 for 2 weeks Fiat 500. Plus we never got a refund for petrol. Kind of expect to be scammed by car hire companies.

ringer13
    Free Member

I live near Malaga. Always advise visitors never to book direct with hire companies but through brokers for the best rates. Doyouspain is always good value.
    As others say, be prepared to fight off the threats about the CDW insurance. You can pay £9 or more per day for their excess waiver. Get yourself an annual waiver policy with Questor Insurance for £40-£50. You will have to agree to a huge credit card deposit with the hire firm, but that’s standard. Questor paid me back without hassle when I rented in the UK last Christmas and Green Motion Gatwick (avoid like the plague) scammed me for £670 of so-called repairs that I did not cause.

johndoh
    Free Member

I always book via HolidayAutos for the cashback (and they are always very good rates as well). However I used Enterprise (via HA) in August and they tried to stiff me for damage on return so I asked them to get out their scratch and dent guide (its a small credit card sized measure) to measure the tiny marks they could find and they very quickly backed off.

ji
    Free Member

Wish this thread had been here a few weeks ago when I was booking. I am using Centauro next week (booked via vehicle rent). Any experiences?

sgn23
    Free Member

I used Centauro in Valencia in the summer, booked via Zest (recommended by Which?). Perfect experience: no hassle selling insurance, no queues, 5 minute wait for the off-site bus (there and back). Zest include excess-insurance in the price.

aazlad
    Free Member

We had a good experience with malagacar.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Malaga airport, car hire?’ is closed to new replies.