Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Making a beehive style compost bin?
  • ElShalimo

I think lockdown is driving us a bit mad and I’m toying with the idea of building one as they seem really expensive to buy.  However, I’m struggling to find some designs/plans online to build one. The web is full of all sorts of plans but this one eludes me so far.
    This is STW, someone must have made one themselves…. has anyone?

This sort of thing

maccruiskeen

There seems to be next to no plans necessary – you can see everything you need to know in the photo surely.

maccruiskeen

Worth bearing in mind though. If you build something approximately the size and shape of a beehive you’re effectively creating a ‘trap hive’. When a colony of bees is getting ready to swarm they send out scouts looking for exactly what you’re wanting to make. Your garden could get quite busy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pinterest.

Albanach
    Free Member

I have one of these, if you want me to measure the wood etc I can maybe get a chance tomorrow after the weather improves. Let me know

ElShalimo

@maccruiskeen – I’m rubbish at diy, I need to follow plans or a drawing. The extra visitors to the garden are something that we didn’t consider. If it stops the local cats using the garden as a toilet it might be a bonus.

@Albanach
    – that’d be great if you don’t mind. Is it treated wood or just stained softwood?

Albanach
    Free Member

@ElShalimo I’ve no idea but it weighs a ton!

patagonian
    Free Member

Is each “level” separate or is it one structure?

Aquaprofile

I wanna know what goes on inside a 4-tier beehive composter??

ElShalimo

An awful lot more than in a 3 tier one

😉

ElShalimo

Can you use treated timber for compost bins?

kayak23

You can use it for raised beds so I can’t see why not compost bins.

Maybe line it with builders plastic?

b33k34

We bought one. er. Probably 10 years back. really wasn’t successful – just not big enough for even two people not to have it overfull before it had rotted down. Bought a classic black plastic job (and hid it behind some plants) and it was much more successful.

Albanach
    Free Member

@elshalimo I pmd you there

ElShalimo

Thanks @Albanach

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Making a beehive style compost bin?’ is closed to new replies.