Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Magicshine Monteer 8000S Galaxy V2 review
  • stwhannah

For all out brightness, the Magicshine Monteer 8000S is a great light. But does that mean it’s for you? It might depend on who you ride with.

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Magicshine Monteer 8000S Galaxy V2 review

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

johnnystorm

Perhaps I’m just too slow now but I think “peak lighting” was reached a few years back and if you’re spending more than £200 you should be getting perfection.

For me, the Lumenator has all the light I need and is a doddle to use. I’d rather the extra money was spent on run times.

Perhaps I like the review above because it reinforces my opinion but I appreciate the alternative view between testers and the “less is more” consideration.

desperatebicycle

Splashed out on a 1500LM Light & Motion Seca years ago, still brighter than I really need. Plenty of battery & life paired with my “Troutlight” (RIP 🙁 ) Hope Vision on the lid.
    Garmin Mount looks happy anyway 🙂

simon_g

Yeah, my Exposures are a several years old but working fine and nothing new really seems any better.

All I’d really want from a remote would be to quickly flip to a dipped / “not blinding” mode for the bits on the road.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I found exactly the same, and swapped the magicshine for a Exposure Toro, which is nowhere near as bright, but has a more even and thereful useful beam, an actual readout of remaining battery time, plus it’s easy to see what mode you’re in, though I tend just to leave it on “Reflex” the whole time. My previous Maxx-D was 10 years old and still had enough battery life for a 2 hour night ride on full power.

ta11pau1

Used my 8000 V2 last week for the first time on some trails, along with my diablo mk11 1900lm helmet light.

All I can say is bloody brilliant. It was like riding in the daytime!

The remote for flicking between 2nd level power on the floods only for climbs then straight into the full beans when dropping into a trail is brilliant.

halifaxpete

I have the older 6500 version and agree its a PITA cycling through the different lighting modes. Great light otherwise but for knocking on £400 I’d be looking at something from exposure TBH

reeksy

I found myself pointing the light at cars and shop windows, trying to figure out in my reflection which setting it was on, without blinding myself.

I imagine your local FB groups are full of apoplectic residents complaining about that weird cyclist going around shining bright lights and dulling their paintwork and shop displays.

The only Magicshine I had was a nightmare. The terrible not-Garmin-style mounting system meant it flew off my handlebars in a forest never to be seen again (it hadn’t got dark at that point in the ride).

andyspaceman

Agree with the comments about having too much light. There’s typically about 5-10 of us that head out together on Thursday nights, and having so much power makes it a real arms race, particularly when people behind you are putting out more light than you are, and all you can see in front of you is your shadow.

Thankfully most of our group have pretty good etiquette, and drop down to lower settings when not riding at the front. Personally I’ve got a max of 4k lumens on my bars, and 1.5k on my helmet, but I only ever use that when on the front and off-road. The rest of the time I’m sat in minimum power, at 1.5k and 500 lumens respectively, which is still plenty for pretty much everything.

Maybe 8k is worthwhile if you ride alone, or in pairs, and if you are racing, or hitting a lot of technical terrain in the dark, at speed. Otherwise, meh.

adagiodesign
    Free Member

Magic Shine – in my opinion are not worth the money. I am sorry to say that I disagree with this review, I would not recommend this product. I purchased a Magic Shine light 2021 after the previous top marks review. they last for a just over a year, when they failed due to a common issue, the cable from the battery to the light. I sent it back, they said yes its a common problem. Then after a month it failed again, they have then since never responded to my emails. I recently ordered another cable which arrived with an exposed part of the cable I sent them pictures and no response. The light is no longer used.<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; color: #2a2e2e; font-family: Roboto, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;” />They were an amazing light at first, so if you are testing them on straight out of the box, they would be impressive, but spending over £300 now £400 I would expect the more last more than a 12 months+.<br style=”box-sizing: border-box; color: #2a2e2e; font-family: Roboto, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;” />These lights due to the expense need to be on a long term test to show their property quality and reliability, also aftersales is important, I am not a professional rider or access to abundance of cash, but i feel strongly about being mis led. And think they are not in the same league as other brands.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.