• This topic has 41 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Magic shine lights – will I die?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

Going to invest in some of these badboys 1600 lumens with two battery packs for £160 http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/MJ-872-ENDURO

On full power will these negate the need for a head torch as well (assuming I use them bar mounted)? Or am I better to just run them head torch style?

johnnystorm

Having seen one in action you’ll be fine. Put one on the bars for where you’re going and one on your head for when you turn tight corners. TBH you could probably get away with something smaller for the head torch.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi wonny

Check out Dealextreme they do the Magicshine MJ-872 for £88.80 with a single battery – although it does not call it a ‘Enduro’ model. I got some lights from them last (the mickey mouse ears ones) year and although they took about 10 days to arrive they are v good.

John

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got that fluxient from torchy and its a excellent light, bit on the portly side compared to the 872 but all the light youd need.

Northwind

Do you really need the dual batteries? It’s an excellent light but while it’ll only do 2 hours 20 or so on full blast, it’ll do a lot more on lower power and still produce a reasonable amount of light- more than you need for climbing frinstance.

I use one as a helmet light, negates the need for a second light tbh. 2 would be nice but takes you way up into overkill territory. Helmet light > bar light, except when it’s misty anyway.

smiff
    Free Member

mj872 is what i got last xmas, it’s a beast and amazing value. no fancy features, just a wall of light. get it from a uk seller in case any problems (i had no problems, but obviously some might), and get a spare battery for about £30. total cost about £120.

mine’s been very reliable and i can’t imagine needing any brighter… put it on your head imho, and carry a small torch for fiddling, because you’ll blind yourself trying to use the mj for fixing flats etc 🙂

edit: should mention the thing i don’t like about mj872 – it uses very obvious (to me) pulsing for dimming, so anything below 100% produces a strobe effect that in rain can be pretty bad imho. if you’re sensitive to strobes, you might have trouble with this..

smiff
    Free Member

also.. instead of buying one large battery, maybe buy the cheaper standard kit and a spare standard battery (like mj828) for about £25-30, still cheaper and less chance of finding yourself out in teh dark than one big battery?

singletracksurfer

or newer, brighter, better (and cheaper than the 872 you linked to) http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/off-road-mtb-light-pack.html

or I’ve got an 872 and 2 x 828’s I want to sell (now I’ve upgraded to the 880).

turtleheading
    Free Member

Errr, check deal extreme, magichshine lights in all but the name!

Northwind

How well does the 880 work as a helmet light btw? It felt a little heavy to me but I didn’t really get a chance to try it properly.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Planning some overnight racing at the dusky valleys event in a couple of weeks in south Wales so twin batteries useful for that. Will have a look at deal x as well

smiff
    Free Member

mj872 is $130 US on DX, which is about £85 through PP, then you pay 20% vat and handling, so it costs £100-115. why? you’re waiting longer and paying more, just buy from a UK seller for under £90.
    is there a cheaper version i’m missing on dx?

my light was from magicshine_direct ebay UK. “Magicshine offers 12 months on the light and 6 months on the
    battery.” i can’t remember who i got my battery unfortunately he was very helpful and gave me some free straps.

and the mj880, if its 2000 lumens vs 1600 is a small upgrade for a lot bulkier looking head and £40 more.

only thing i’d upgrade for would be non-strobing dimming and maybe a better battery meter (this one is all over the place, can be alarming), anyone used other budget lights can comment on that? because the 872 is already too bright to use on full most of the time..

abductee
    Free Member

Just got back from testing my latest purchase. New 1800Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED from ebay. Its smaller / lighter than last years popular DX chinese XML
    Same 3 modes high-med-flash but the medium is brighter and usable
    The one I got has a much better beam pattern than the spotty larger ones
    £23 inc p&p and arrived in 10 days from China
    I can’t see why you’d need more light than one of these on the bars and another on the helmet unless you’re in an arms race with your friends.

Dancake
    Free Member

Got a link?

I fancy another T6 but mine has got a really concentrated beam. My old P7 was better but it fell apart

abductee
    Free Member
    smiff
    Free Member

yeah that looks a nice budget or backup option.. you need someone to test because some just have useless beam patterns. would be interested to know how bright it really is vs mj872.. anyone have both? i might just buy one to try eh.

both 8.4v also, so good chance they are cross-compatible 🙂

abductee
    Free Member

The connector is not compatible with the larger XML model (this one).

The mini has Slightly larger plug.

beefheart
    Free Member

^^^ I just bought one of those Cree lights for about £20 on ebay, with a claimed 1600 lumens.

smiff
    Free Member

well that’s shit i’d cut one set off and change plugs maybe. too handy to be able to swap when out, share chargers, etc. that guy takes offers too how about.. £18? 🙂

abductee that’s the exact seller you bought from?

cchris2lou

I have 2 of them , the bigger one from last year , and was told that the battery wasnt compatible with the original magicshine but it works fine .
    I can swap lights unit and batteries around .

one of the battery died and was looking at a replacement battery but just bought one of the above light , it is cheaper than replacement battery .

abductee
    Free Member

yes but i didn’t make an offer 🙁 did I slip up?

the other sellerss are about 25

smiff
    Free Member

yer if you check his history he accepts offers, you can’t see how much though, but you can usually blag a few quid.. so you only “lost” a couple of quid probably 🙂

one thing though.., get under £17 and you don’t pay import vat.

and as long as voltage (= number of cells) matches, and its a smart charger (they all are now), any capacity battery (within reason) should be ok.

here’s some discussion
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17266959

i’ve not used these lights so can’t really say, if i get one i’ll post beam comparisons against mj872 though.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So most of my thoughts have been done above: but some finer points-

No matter how good or expensive a light is I’d always like to have 2 on the go: this comes from my experience with the earlier magicshines that would switch off or change mode in the rougher sections.

Basically I’d prefer 2 cheap lights to one dearer / more powerful one.

But if you insist on going for one light I’d go for 2 smaller batteries rather than 1 big one. They can & do fail (or slowly get a lot worse). Also you can have one charging while you use the other.

btw you should get “comfortably” – 5 hours from the normal mj872 battery with judicious use of the saver-low-med-high settings.

Last useful point – I had an xml based light and found it to be a “spotlight”. To me it wasnt ideal for on a bike except for on the lid – but that may just be me. I sold it on.

then you pay 20% vat and handling,

I’ve never ever had to pay vat / handling from hong kong. I may be lucky – along with everyone else, but the PITA is in returns / warranty.

“will I die” – yes. But if a half decent light gets you out exercising over the winter then that eventuality may be deferred somewhat.

abductee
    Free Member

grr beamshot pictures not working

What’s the max size allowed?

abductee
    Free Member

Large with diffuser

Large

Small

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Don’t think there is a max size assuming you’re linking correctly?

#edit – yove fixed it! What are we looking at (re model no’s)?

abductee
    Free Member

I’m not sure they have model numbers just really exaggerated lumen claims

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Gotcha- but some xml’s? Where did you get the diffuser?

Lifer
    Free Member

Hi abductee where did you get the mount for the larger light? I’ve got a similar one and the mount that came with it is basically a big rubber band, almost impossible to take off with cold fingers (use it on the commuter)

abductee
    Free Member

Off ebay again $5 from the US of A

Wide Angle Lens 4 MagicShine, Gemini, Lupine Bike Light

but I don’t think it works super well. It spreads the light too thinly so is only good for fairly short range. All 3 work fairly well together though.

abductee
    Free Member

Electron bracket
    Electron QR bracket EPH216, EPH217, EPH218

Unscrew the top of the Electron bracket and drill a hole
    Unscrew the original bracket from the light
    Twin stick betreen the new bracket and body
    Screw the top of the electron bracket to the light with a longer screw
    Screw the 2 halves of the bracket back together

Lifer
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks!

Northwind

I really, really didn’t like the wide angle diffuser for the XML light… Ends up with a fairly weak feeling beam but also, it’s just an odd shape and not that useful. The XML beam as standard isn’t great but at least it’s a sensible shape.

lipseal
    Free Member

If I need a new light I’d try SMUDGE

wordnumb
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a replacement charger for the older XM-L T-6? (8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack)
    Not that mine has exploded and burned the house to the ground, I just don’t trust it to the extent I do the light and battery.

Muke
    Free Member

Like that £23 light Abductee, may have to order one, still all good ?

abductee
    Free Member

It’s not had much use yet so I can’t comment on long term reliability.

It will get some use soon Sunrise and Sunset

dantsw13

Ive just got the Hope universal mount (£8 from CRC) to use with my “Mickey Mouse” Magicshine – what a difference!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Magic shine lights – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.