Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Magic/Miracle needed in Wales
  • AverageMark
    Free Member

Long story long. Staying in a cottage near Dolgellau over Christmas with the intention of riding and walking with the family. Managed a quick lap of the climachx trail this afternoon, back to cottage, sort bike and the front brake lever was sticky. Xt brakes so I bet you know where this is going….. Basically pulled the lever, brake locks on and the lever is now fecked! So here’s where I need a miracle, does anyone know anywhere near here that is likely to have an xt lever or whole front brake in stock? And who would be open tomorrow to fit the damn thing! Only place I can think of is Coed y Brendon. Not sure they would have stock though.

weeksy

Llandgela?

martinhutch

Be surprised if they couldn’t sort you out with something at Beics Brenin.

Not sure whether it would be a Shimano or another brand though.

tillydog
    Free Member

Give them a ring at Beics Brenin which is the shop at Coed Y Brenin – just around the corner from you (relatively speaking).

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, try Beics Brenin at CyB tomorrow.

If they can’t sort your brake, hire a bike for the day and then order this with next day delivery?
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-bl-mt501-br-mt520-4-pot-disc-brake/rp-prod180791

Dunno how realistic that would be the day before Xmas Eve, but it’s an option eh.

AverageMark
    Free Member

I think that’s going to be my best bet. If they can’t sort anything then it’ll be bike hire by the look of it.

lister

Worst case scenario: Halfords in Aberystwyth?

jamesmio
    Free Member

The mechanic at Antur Stiniog pulled us out of a whole at absolutely zero notice (burst umpteen spokes at BPW – who didn’t want to know, arrived at Antur the next morning and their guy fixed us up while we had breakfast).

They’d be well worth a shout.

AverageMark
    Free Member

I did think that’s f buying a Clarks brake from Halfords. Then realised the bloody shifter is ispec.

dai3015
    Free Member

Try Clive Powell bikes in rhayader? It’s not too far away over the top road and I’m sure that Neil or Clive would be able to sort you out

dti

Beics brenin
    Or
    Try Steve beech
    Wheelism abergynolwyn
    If these don’t work
    If you put something up on Dyfi MTBs Facebook page

scc999

Worth giving Framed Bicycle Co (http://www.theframedbicycleco.com/) a call if Beics Brenin cant help.

Si

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you tried http://dolgellaucycles.co.uk/index.php ? Googled for a bike shop in the town, expecting there must be one that caters for Mawddach Trail, CYB plus the lovely back roads towards Cader Idris and Bwlch Y Groes.

AverageMark
    Free Member

Update!!! Well took a chance and threw the bike in the car and headed to Coed. Beics Brenin had the lever replaced within 45 minutes! Awesome service from the lads and ladies there.
    Unfortunately the rest of the morning didn’t go quite as well. Do not use Rocket Ron’s there, it will end in tears. Trust me.
    So massive thanks to Beics Brenin and to everyone for you suggestions. Going to try the Mach trails now. 👍

weeksy

Lol in muddy winter, who’d have thought it. Crazy boy

AverageMark
    Free Member

I wish they lasted long enough to see mud. Split and spraying sealent within 2 miles of the start! Managed to get a tube in then nursed around the blue route! There for 4 hours this morning. Managed 1 hour of riding!

tillydog
    Free Member

Glad they could sort you out 🙂

Do not use Rocket Ron’s there, it will end in tears.

Was it the paper-thin sidewalls or the total absence of grip within 100m of water?

lucien

Unfortunately the rest of the morning didn’t go quite as well. Do not use Rocket Ron’s there, it will end in tears. Trust me.

Is that tears or tears….?

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like you need to trouble them for some tyres too then.

😉

submarined
    Free Member

We went there a month or so ago, massive slash in a sidewall of an OEM spec Schwalbe (think it was a NN) I had no idea how thin the sidewalls are on those! Gave us quite a shock when the tube blew through the sidewall on a climb about as far from the car park as it was possible to be.

joebristol

It is quite rocky there. My mate tried to get round with inner tubes inside ardents….had 2 pinch punctures in 9k. Ended up pumping it to about 40psi to avoid further punctures.

I’ve now convinced him of his poor tyre ways so he’s running some more chunky grid casing specialized tyres. Working on him to go tubeless – think he’s asked for stuff for Christmas then he’ll finally join the modern world!!

Needless to say the exo dhf / exo aggressor run tubeless were fine at 25 ish psi for me all the way round.

If you’re doing Antur please get some decent tyres…..

AverageMark
    Free Member

Just to add a little context in my defense! I usually ride Thetford and Tunstall – not many rocks to worry about there! Also my bike is a 100mm carbon xc hardtail so I definitely won’t be risking Antur. Well that and a lack of skill doesn’t help! 😂
    As another update we headed to Bwlech Nant Yr Arian today and I rode the Summit trail – really enjoyed it! Made up for my mare at Coed yesterday.
    Also stuck around as a family and watched the red kites being fed, well worth a trip to see. 👍

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Magic/Miracle needed in Wales’ is closed to new replies.