Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Magic Mary front and rear ?
  • dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi lads just got some new wheels and going to put my discs and tyres on.

I gave a few sets of tyres just after some opinions plz.

The bike will only be used for trail riding as I have another bike for Xc and longer rides.

The tyres I have are a pair of MM addix soft in 2.35. A pair of NN in trailstar and pacestar in 2.6 and a pair of trail kings black chilli in 2.4.

In my old wheels I’m running an oem trailstar on rear and a MM front.

Will I be better with 2 MM on ?  What combination woukd you use obviously I want an MM on the front.

Cheers.

submarined
    Free Member

The grip will be prodigious.

Unfortunately, so will the drag. Great combo if you’re riding steep stuff and pushing or getting towed up, but very hard work on anything that requires a lot of pedalling!

Good god, no! I can just about cope with them on my e-bike. Grip is awesome (supersofts), but the drag is horrendous

el_boufador

Went to the lakes in September and ran mm supergravity trail stars front and rear and they were frigging awesome. Not sure I would want to pedal them very friendly though!

el_boufador

Far! Not friendly!

Perfect front tyre but definitely not on the rear.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Haha that is pretty definitive lol.  I love nics but woukd it be unbalanced with a 2.6 mic on rear and a 2.35 MM on front ?

vincienup
    Free Member

Dampf front and Nic rear used to be pretty standard.  I don’t see why MM front and Nic rear wouldn’t work  well.

transition1
    Free Member

I currently have a MM addix soft upfront & NN 2.6 on the rear in 29er size will be swapping the rear out soon as clearance is tight on a Smuggler with mud & 2.6 29er tyre

kiksy
    Free Member

I use a 2.6 MM front and 2.35 MM rear. It’s pretty slow but good in the winter on steep sloppy stuff.

The Nobby I find is a little flimsy so prefer the Hans Dampf or Rock Razor for the rear for something faster rolling.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The grip will be prodigious.

Unfortunately, so will the drag.

Yes. Have on my 150/150 all mountain bike 2,6 inch MM addix soft.

Drag on “difficult stuff”: not bad at all. Even have the impression that the tyres roll very fast on these grounds.

But forest roads and similar: yes. Drag.

Was thinking of changing to a faster tyre on the rear – but when biking together with my pals on fast and tricky (downhill) trails I definitely see the advantage of the MM front and rear. No problems at all to keep up with longer travel Enduro bikes! Love it. I will stick with the MM combination and might even go to “super soft” on front (if available in 2,6 inch)

XC or “tame” / shaped trails: I use other bikes. The MM grip monster would be an overkill on those and … too slow on forest roads.

Kahurangi

I occasionally use, MM SuperGravity pair. Vertstar front, Trailstar rear, so maybe a touch more draggy than your combo.

But yes, I will agree with the comments above, the grip is legendary. Reliable, trustworthy and confidence inspiring. If your legs can handle it you’ll have a whale of a time on the downs. I keep that pairing for races, even dragged them round a Naughty Northumbrian. That was a bad move.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The drag will be noticeable – a chap I usually ride with who is faster than me up, down and across dabbled with the double Mary last winter and found them bloody hard work. I managed to beat him up pretty much every climb. He had way more grip in the slop though.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I took a dual ply 2.6 ultra soft MM and a 2.35 supergravity ultrasoft out on a 40km ride because I couldn’t be arsed changing my tyres.

I was **** by the end of it – burnt 3000 cal, bonked, ate about 2000 calories when I got home and slept for 12 hours after.

1/10, not fun, would not recommend.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

“super soft” on front (if available in 2,6 inch)

It is. In the wire bead DH carcass – was a mentally good tyre for the alps.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

It is. In the wire bead DH carcass – was a mentally good tyre for the alps.

thanks!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I tried MM front and rear last year when the trails got muddy/wet. I took the one off the back after one ride as I found it very draggy and not worth it for the extra grip, which was really good.

oikeith

I’ve run MM 2.35 Soft for most of the rear and didnt really notice the drag, did some big rides too around 20miles with 5000ft of climbing.

I did tear the tire and ended up putting on a rock razor and expected to be flying around, but couldnt really tell the difference except for braking where it was scary!

Kahurangi

I’m expecting the new HD to be a good 3-season companion to a MM on the front – anyone tried this combo?

oldejeans
    Free Member

MM SG soft Front and Rear all year round.

I drop pressure in the rear to 20-22psi for slopping about in the woods.  But I’ll increase pressure up to 30 if I’m on a rockier ride, eg peak district/ proper mountains.  I might even get up to 40psi if I have to use them for commuting, and I can manage a steady 27kph, traffic lights permitting

philjunior
    Free Member

I just moved my MM trailstar to the rear and put a MM addix soft on the front.

Good grip (I’d like the ultra soft but not prepared to take a supergravity casing on the front.), and the rolling is a bit slower than previously with NN pacestar on the rear, but certainly not bad, about the same as the butcher/slaughter that were on the bike when I got it, but with much better grip.

I reckon the ultrasoft/supergravity carcass would slow things down a bit, and then if you go to the double ply carcass you would want to only ride steep descents.*

* When I ran Maxxis dual plys, I found actually realyl steep ascents were OK, it was anything around flat that was a problem, flow became very very pedally.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers lads I’ve put th TK 2.4 on rear and MM on front and will give it a try.

👍🏻

lunar
    Free Member

Use to run MM front and rear, they are draggy but you soon get use to it and the grip is worth the pain.  New bike came with E-thirteen TRS +.  As grippy as MM if not grippier and seem to roll better.  Great tyres.

felixm
    Free Member

I run MM on the front and NN on the back of my 27.5 wheels. Both tyres are 2.8 inch.

I live and ride in Derbyshire and lately it has been getting muddy here. Have had no issues whatsoever with this setup. The MM has superb grip on front, the NN is a bit slidey but not in an out of control sort of way.

Will keep this setup until it dries out again.

As for the drag, you get used to it and it is not really noticeable if you’re reasonably fit. Hey, it might even make you fitter, which is not a bad thing over the winter months when getting out is perhaps a bit harder..

mahalo

That new Propain Hugene ont front page has MM front & rear… thats very much a ‘trail’ bike.

kindda like the idea actually, struggling to think where a draggy tyre might be a problem for me most of the time…?

aldo56
    Free Member

I rode MM front and rear last winter when the trails got properly slick / muddy / icy. That’s mostly focusing on steep enduro style trails rather than XC stuff.

At that point, you’re willing to trade rolling resistance for any sort of grip on the downs haha. Hard going on the climbs but speeds are much slower in the winter anyway so it wasn’t too bad.

On longer more XC based rides, they really can kill you as you need to put in lots more effort to keep it ticking along even on flat ground. If you’ve not got the fitness i’d imagine it would be hard going.

pb2

I’m not fit enough to run 29″ MM, I felt like someone had welded the rims to ground, I gave up after one short lakes ride and sold it at a fair old loss and was still happy to see it go

pothead
    Free Member

Currently got MM on both ends of a mondraker dune, grip is unreal on natural/off piste trails but the drag is too much for trail centre stuff, usually run a rock razor at the back which is surprisingly grippy in corners and rolls faster, as said above braking can be pretty scary tho

andybrad

well that last comment has me sticking with my butchers 🙁

doomanic

I run a 2.6″ MM on the front all year round. I’ve got a 2.8″ to go on the back when it gets really sloppy.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Wished I bought a 2.6 Mary for the front instead of 2x 2.35.  I only had 19mm rims when I bought them though.

Wont get to try them out for a couple of weeks due to work.

roverpig

I run a 29×2.35 MM (addix soft) on the front year round. I’ve thought of swapping to something faster in the summer, but really like the rip and don’t find it particularly slow (even on road sections). I wouldn’t run it on the rear though. Even a soft HD was far too draggy for my liking. So it’s Rock Razor (summer) and HD or NN (winter) but in speedgrip rather than soft. We’re all different though.

astormatt
    Free Member

Currently running an ultra soft (purple) MM on the front and a soft (orange) HD on the rear……my god it’s hard work…..

i have to pedal on some of the downs as it’s so slow and draggy.

My fault for being lazy and not taking them off from when i did Ard Rock.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary front and rear ?’ is closed to new replies.