Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • MACCA on Chris Evans
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Did anyone else hear his performance of Jet played on the Ginger ones show this morning taken from the live performance for the BBC yesterday? I just can’t see why he continues to play or why people keep encouraging him to !

BoardinBob

He’s just awful and it’s not like he needs the money.

DezB
    Free Member

I just can’t see why he continues to play or why people keep encouraging him to !

Goes for a large amount of artists who continue long after they should!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But enough about Evans; what about Macca?

zippykona

He should be retired and Weller can be the new macca.
    Can we include Elton John as well. Just delving into some of his 70s albums and there’s some stunning music there.
    If they’d died in the 70s they would be as revered as Hendrix and Morrison.

binners

I heard it on Six Music yesterday. Absolutely bloody awful! He sounded like a slightly bewildered embarrassing uncle, who’s inadvertently wandered into a karaoke night

What I can’t understand is why he’s feted as some kind of musical genius. The fawning of Lauren Laverne (who should know better) and crew yesterday was cringeworthy. For gods sake, the bloke hasn’t written anything worth listening too since 1970, and has been responsible since then for some of the worst, most god-awful bilge ever to grace the airwaves.

He’s now just a really really poor Beatles tribute band. If you want to know how talented John Lennon really was, just watch Paul MacCartney

tuffty
    Free Member

^^^ What binners said 🙂

MarkLG
    Free Member

Haven’t heard the radio 2 stuff, but the last couple of times I’ve seen him playing live on tele he’s sounded pretty weak. He’s 71 now, so probably to be expected. Bit of a shame considering what he’s done in the past.
    Evans played one of the songs from Elton John’s session a few weeks back and he really was shite.

Northwind

If you ever need to disprove the existance of god, just remind people Lennon is dead and McCartney is alive.

10pmix
    Free Member

He sounded like a slightly bewildered embarrassing uncle, who’s inadvertently wandered into a karaoke night

That! Perfectly put.

He was interviewed on Sky news last week and his answers were bordering on senility. His music hasn’t been relevant, creative or interesting since about 1970.

10pmix
    Free Member

And don’t me started on Laurene Laverne. As Stewart Lee is putting it in his recent shows “she is the crumpet man’s thinker”.

Pyro

Well, we’ve got to have some semi-musical doddery old fart to wheel out for civic occasions. If it’s not Brian May at the Jubilee it’s Uncle Cliff the Singing Monk for Wimbledon or Pixie Paul for the Olympics. At least the first two had the decency to be in tune.

ransos
    Free Member

What I can’t understand is why he’s feted as some kind of musical genius.

He’s a musical genius who’s long past it. Go and listen to Eleanor Rigby…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

tuffty – Member
    ^^^ What binners said

Indeed. A pompous Uncle K**head.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Don’t get all the hating to be honest

The performance sounded good to me. He’s written lots of incredible songs over the years, including many post Beatles ones.

He was the equal of Lennon in the Beatles, and his 70s output was consistently better than Lennons very patchy solo output. His main sin in the eyes of many is that he didn’t get shot!

Just don’t get the lazy blanket hating he seems to get.

Incredible incredible bass player, check out this isolated bass track from “hey bulldog”

Hey bulldog isolated bass

He occasionally displays a lack of taste, but I’m more than willing to forgive him that for his many many talents, songs and achievements

winston_dog
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLxsEPKl29M[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

Whimsical nonsense ballads for the unchallenged minds of glib middle England.
    Old thumbs up should have retired and left to bother the yanks years ago.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

He’s written lots of incredible songs over the years, including many post Beatles ones.

I can’t get past the Frog Chorus. 😕

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why the Beatles and Macca are so often declared god-like status. Sure the beatles arent offensive and neither is wings/macca but … oh hang on … this looks like a thread we almost all agree on. Thats not allowed to happen. Mods, close this thread. 😉

grum
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a lame bandwagon to hate on Macca TBH. Presumably seeing as he doesn’t need the money he does it because he enjoys it.

John Lennon is also responsible for some terrible terrible music BTW, and god knows what he’d be doing now if he was still alive.

Although having said that – check out Yesterday live cover by Jay-Z and Linkin Park featuring Macca on YouTube. 😯

cardo

This seems relevent Macca page on FB

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The fawning of Lauren Laverne (who should know better)

*spits tea over keyboard*

Macca’s latest emission is awful. Weak, reedy vocals and paint-by-numbers lyrics.

It’s said the Beatles are dying in the order of talent. I’m not sure whether Ringo or Paul will live forever.

Pieface

The way BBC Radio plugs and then recycles an event across all its channels really bugs me. I thought this was exclusive to Radio 6. For weeks they promote the Maida Vale series like its a really big event, and then every other DJ plays a session or 2 during their show, for the next 2 weeks. They did the same with Glastonbury.

I was in the car yesterday and put on Radio 2, and guess what comes on? An exclusive set for radio 2 with Paul McCartney.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Market forces, innit. As long as people buy his stuff, he’ll keep churning it out. You could always hit the “off” switch if you don’t want to listen, instead of pointlessly bitching about it…

ransos
    Free Member

Market forces, innit. As long as people buy his stuff, he’ll keep churning it out. You could always hit the “off” switch if you don’t want to listen, instead of pointlessly bitching about it…

Quite. It’s possible that the people buying his stuff actually like it. Whilst it does little for me, it’s pretty inoffensive so I’m not quite sure why so many feel the need to vent their spleens on here.

binners

Depends on the venue though dunnit. I’d expect his all-encompassing blandness on the tartan blanket over your knees that is Radio 2. Which is one of the main reasons I’d never listen to it. I don’t expect to be subjected to a full morning of it (with the afore-mentioned endless re-hashes) on 6 Music

johndoh
    Free Member

Err.

I actually quite like his new single.

And I never thought I’d say that.

STATO
    Free Member

Im not a fan of the Beatles, i dont think anything ive heard has dated well. Sure it was new and groundbreaking at the time but you cant play it now alongside anything since as it just sounds poor (IMO). However, i was quite impressed by some of the songs Mac sung on 6music, yes there was some rubbish performance but not all of it.

Mind i say this as someone who dosnt see the point in ‘listening’ to live music, its very rare that any live performance or recording has a sound engineer who is not deaf and cant manage to balance the sound levels, leaving the singer or an instrument totally out of the performance.

grum
    Free Member

Mind i say this as someone who dosnt see the point in ‘listening’ to live music, its very rare that any live performance or recording has a sound engineer who is not deaf and cant manage to balance the sound levels, leaving the singer or an instrument totally out of the performance.

You must go to some crap gigs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He was the equal of Lennon in the Beatles, and his 70s output was consistently better than Lennons very patchy solo output.

I suppose you like happy fluffy rather empty love songs then – he ha sdone some good stuff but he is just so middle of the road IMHO
    Almost no one agrees with you but it is fair to say Onos influence over john did not improve his musical output.

that said post Beatles lennons best songs are still superior to Maccas

Like the rolling stones and all the rest they cannot even do decent covers of their own songs these days

DezB
    Free Member

Oh my lordy. Now there’s someone who’s opinion on music is worth noting!! 😆

D0NK

oi! don’t be dissin LL you lot!

nicko74

It’s a bit of a lame bandwagon to hate on Macca TBH

mmm…. no. The Olympic opening ceremony was a bit odd, but by far the oddest part was him being invited on to wail at a stadium. The guy’s just not very good any more, but he seems to be the last to know

Pigface
    Free Member

Why do people love Lennon so much? wife beating narcissist sums him up.

Got no real views on Macca he is feted as a national treasure these days which I dont get.

I dont think anyone who has been exposed to that level of fame and adoration can ever be “normal” after it.

footflaps

I don’t get the appeal of Macca, mind you I don’t like the Beatles either, both completely over rated IMO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why do people love Lennon so much? wife beating narcissist sums him up

Angry young man who saw the errors of his ways, had an epiphany and wrote honestly about his own shortcomings as a human being is another way to view it.
    It may some him up in his youth /young adulthood but not as a mature adult.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Maybe he is senile and needs help?

He has gone from wearing Hi-Tops with Suits to Sandals with Jeans,….. the signs are there people…

edlong
    Free Member

I think there’s a lot of hating of Macca down to his style, or lack of. That whole cheeky-chappie-thumbs-up manner of his. It’s just not very “cool” is it? We like our rock icons to be tortured souls, not cheerful and upbeat. It’s not really about the music.

Personally, while not a big fan of his music (Beatles or solo) I have no problem with the guy and hundreds of millions of records sold suggest he’s got something, and at least he doesn’t seem to pretend he’s anything other than who he is – his persona is simply his real personality, unlike, say, Mick Jagger who was as fake with his “bad boy” persona in the 60s as he has been in later years with his Lord Aristo act.

And appraising the Beatles today by looking at the music in isolation somewhat misses the point. To understand the impact they had on music, and on culture and even society as whole, you need to understand the context. What they did in the 1960s really sets them apart from pretty much every band before or since, regardless of whether the tunes sound good to today’s ears. I’m reminded of Philip Larkin’s proposition than sex didn’t exist before 1963…

zippykona

Honestly not a troll but I struggle to think of a post Beatles song that Lennon did that’s any good whereas I like wings.

edlong
    Free Member

Jealous Guy’s not a bad tune imo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘MACCA on Chris Evans’ is closed to new replies.