Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Macc Forest open yet?
  • jekkyl

Anyone been up in the last 7 days and can confirm it’s openess or otherwise please?
    Thinking of going up this afternoon. Probably not up the charity lane side but maybe around the summit with the benches.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The vast majority is closed still.

carlos
    Free Member

In short, a lot is still officially closed. One of the guys I ride with got a bollocking off the ranger the other day.

I’d recommend a loop round the Goyt as that was running Sweeeeet last Wednesday

Carlos

julians
    Free Member

The roaches is running nicely at the moment, although theres a few trees blocking the trail around the lud church area.

Goyt and windgather area is also pretty good at present

jekkyl

Thanks guys. The Goyt it shall be.

Shame the Cat n fiddle is still closed, perfect location for a mid ride pint in the sun.

higgo
    Free Member

Any progress in the last couple of weeks?

Is there anywhere I can get up-to-date information from about what’s still closed and when it might be open?

spacey

We were up there last night and the climb from the Smithy up through the forest is still closed, so we went up the road to charity lane and the goyt. I’ve chatted to others who have ridden up there regardless and are using the trails but didn’t feel right to us to cross the very definite CLOSED signs.

It’s pretty frustrating as you’d think they have had plenty of time to clear things up, over 3 months I think. Makes you wonder what else is going on or whether they want to keep bikes out of the forest. I’ve nothing to base this on, just thinking out loud.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Went for a walk a few weeks back with the wife.  The place still looks like tornado has just ripped through it

higgo
    Free Member

I’m particularly interested in the section from Standing Stones to Nessit Hill (as I have a friend with horses in Wildboarclough and told her I’d keep her informed).

This is what it was like May 23rd when I went for a walk up there: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ASPvdwmEamLZhD2E2

I know MTBing is allowed in Macc Forest rather than promoted e.g. Gisburn, Llandegla etc but what annoys me most is the lack of clear information. It would be great if either UU/FC/Rangers could bung up a simple website showing which bits were closed and when they are expected to be open.

whitestone
    Free Member

@spacey – there’s a thread back when it was closed. Basically clearing wind-blown trees is dangerous work as they are like primed mousetraps with a lot of stored tension that can release at any time when being cut. You can’t just have a couple of guys with chain saws head in there.

spacey

Good point, will continue to keep away from it. I just reread the initial keeper of the peak blog about it and they confirmed that United Utilities had stated that there was no intention to exclude mountain bikers at any point in the future.

The lack of progress is just frustrating, but I guess it isn’t their priority.

RickDraper
    Free Member

They have started clearing the fallen trees on the track from standing stone to nessets hill. Still looks a lot to do on that side of the first though, I guess once thats done then they will move onto the toot hill side of the forest.

funkmasterp

I live just down the road from the forest and have started riding up to Teggs Nose and then dropping in to Charity from the road side. Big climb, but gets the lungs and legs working and doesn’t piss off the rangers. From there I’ve been doing Charity, Oven Bottom, climb to Cat & Fiddle, Dane Bower, Three Shires, Cumberland and then back down the road to the reservoir by The Leathers Smithy.

Never ridden the Goyt valley. Would anybody be able to post a link to directions? I wish bikers and walkers alike would respect the closed notices around the forest. Staying friendly with the staff makes things much nicer for everyone and they never used to mind the cheeky trails like White Rabbit. That might change if people continue to piss them off.

higgo
    Free Member

I got this email reply from the Ranger this morning:

The bridleway is still blocked in 2 places the contractors are currently working on the south side near to the Shutlingsloe path.  I hope that will be opened in the next few weeks.  The bridleway is also blocked on the north side of the forest on the section between Dimples farm building and the road to the Leather Smithy.  Not sure how long that will take we are also taking into account wildlife disturbance issues which is slowing down the operation.

suntiger1965
    Free Member

i think you will find its due to nature. It wasnt initially to close the trail to MTB riders but now its getting spolt by the blithering idiots who ignore the closures.

There is a blockade for farmers cutting trees down or cutting hedges in the wildlife season, The forest is full of new born deer and eggs ready to hatch so cutting trees down is prevented. part of that side of teh forest is conservation area so a delicate area to be working on in breeding season.

living near the forest its a shame the few idiots you see are spoiling it for others, There are plenty of signs saying shut yet speaking to those **** who do jump the gate and go in anyway, they feel they have a right to go and ride where they want, whether allowed or not.

Its a shame, the rangers and owners are now feeling all mtb bikers have the same attitude and if anyone sees people in there they need to spread the word. especially important if you do want to keep the trail, as its United Utilies land, and if i was the owner, and i know people didnt respect my wishes, id rip up the trails and put fencing up.

please tell them to stay out.. its spoiling it for others and damaging the long term relationship with UU.. and without them we would have a trail to ride..

ps these people are going in are riding the footpaths too , which is a definite NO NO

w

suntiger1965
    Free Member

there are signs on all the gates showing maps of areas open and closed

ragleybluepig
    Free Member

It’s a shame both walkers and bikers are still going in, from an MTB POV you can make a perfectly decent loop using all the open bits and bridleways without pissing off the rangers. In fact all the decent bits including the DH trails can be accessed perfectly legally!

higgo
    Free Member

It’s really frustrating that it’s taking so long but completely understandable when you consider that:

> there is no commercial benefit to the landowner in getting MTBing trails open again

> clearing this kind of forest damage is complex and dangerous – if all the trees were completely flattened it would be easy but a mesh of half fallen trees is a tricky job

> they have to minimise wildlife impact

Having said that there are definitely some mixed messages. I was walking with family in the Forest a few weeks ago and called into the ranger’s hut to ask about the trails. The ranger in there at the time pointed out the closures on a map but told me it was quite easy to get round the one on the north side (and also talked about riding the footpath to Shutlingsloe).

suntiger1965
    Free Member

its quite interesting you talk about no commercial benefit.

I am a member of the trail riders association too and they are asking for member to start working parties as alot of routes are still closed in Cumbria and owners cant afford to reopen the routes.

i wonder if these mtb riders who ignore the signs would be willing to get their hands dirty ?

higgo
    Free Member

Quite possibly they would but they’d need direction – this kind of work (and the machinery involved) is a bit much for the enthusiastic amateur. Best contact might be http://peakdistrictmtb.org/peak-district-trail-maintenance-update/ who have done some work on the Roaches as well as in the Dark Peak. Probably best coming in after the trees have all been cleared to repair the trails?

spacey

Nice response higgo. My thoughts exactly.

I’d love to help out if given the opportunity but direction would be key. I’ll send a message to peakdistrictmtb to gauge their thoughts.

carlos
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of trail repair days with Dan (PDMTB) over on the Roaches and its very rewarding. Top bloke and general all round nice guy. Tells you how to do stuff, advises if you need but generally lets you get on with it.

BUT I’m not so sure that the forest will be their cup of tea. All the legit trails in the forest are well maintained and are mostly fire roads. The DH trails that are built on Nessit and the North side (as far as I’m aware) are tolerated, but the crossing of a main footpath on the North side is causing a bit of friction. Last time the Ranger/UU were pee’d off they cut trees along and across the trails, effectively making it nigh on impossible to ride, without a lot of effort to re build something new

In my opinion opening up the BW from Toot Hill to Hacked Way Lane would take a couple of hours and open up a reasonable ride as its the classic start from the Smithy up to Charity and onto the rest of the Cat & Fiddle loop. Yes I understand about the wildlife etc.. and as I said, it is my opinion, but it is only 4 trees and 2 of them have been cut back enough to pass safely

ragleybluepig
    Free Member

I’d be more than happy to help out under guidance, I’m always keen to promote MTB in a good light for obvious reasons especially in my backyard. The rangers are very tolerant up in the forest as there is a network of unofficial trails which they mostly turn a blind eye to. I quite often wonder if it would benefit all parties to have official singletrack with a bit of a cafe etc, the trouble is there will always be people who will go off piste and build extra traills

AlexSimon

I heard a rumour that there were plans to put in a trail centre type trail, but the residents of Langley blocked it due to extra traffic. Any truth to that?

funkmasterp

Not aware of that Alex. Any idea how long ago? I’ve been in the area about ten years now. I can see how parking and access would be an issue. The road through Langley is quite narrow.

suntiger1965
    Free Member

i dont think there will ever be a trail cafe park etc,,, some of the mtb visitors have got us such a bad name up here now,

alot of mtb riders still going in the closed forest as if they own it and its really pissed of locals as those that respect the closure see it as unexceptable..

too many complaints of bikes wizzing past horses and walkers… its a shame all of us dont think of others.

as far as the down hill route, on the far side its been closed perminantly now.

im told they might clear the piece above the smithy when people stay out and wildlife season over(too many unhatched eggs etc etc)

im keen to get the trails open myself. ive lived above the leather smithy 40 years but im afraid the few i speak too still riding the trails dont give a shit!! and still go in there.

its getting us a bad name, and its a shame as UU dont have to provide us a trail if they dont want too…

funkmasterp

My thoughts are exactly the same as yours. I just can’t understand why people are ignoring the notices. I’ve only been out three times this year and I’ve cycled up to Teggs Nose and and then up Charity from the road side each time. Yes it’s longer and boring, but I’d rather be able to return to the old route at some point and a few dicks may now spoil that.

AlexSimon

Weird how all the focus is on bikers ignoring the signs. When I went up to the Shutlingsloe junction a few weeks ago, there was a group of 10-15 walkers being guided around the trees just beyond.
    Looked like a pretty defined path had been trodden in.

as far as the down hill route, on the far side its been closed perminantly now.

Are you sure? I haven’t seen any mention of this on the official facebook group. Plenty of people still riding them in April.

suntiger1965
    Free Member

sorry if DH is open? i was told its been closed as too many untrained bikers using it and hurting themselves so been closed.. im not brave enough too do the massive jumps so not ventured on that trail only seen the chains.

focus isnt only bikers, its everyone … but walkers have listened and apologised and are staying away ..but apparently bikers just keep coming back even after being approached..

be nice to get a group together to help make it safe, but its not just the fallen trees, its the strength on the path due to possible land slides and we are in breeding season for wild life now too

carlos
    Free Member

Walkers have listened and apologised

Pity this isn’t the case with picking up all the dog Shite

suntiger1965
    Free Member

work has started in the closed part… still says closed and police ave been up recently speaking to bikers ignoring the signs

MartynS

Anyone know if it’s all open again, or are there still closures?

Last I’d heard it was just the fire road bridleway that runs through the forest up from the leathers smithy to the steep bit of road that takes you to charity lane?

baxy

I was there on Saturday and the bridleway up from leathers smithy was open. The bike trail down from the view point is also open. In fact all the official trails seem to be open now.

madxela
    Free Member

yup ..all trees cleared, logs removed and trails open

MartynS

Ta!!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Macc Forest open yet?’ is closed to new replies.