Home Forums Chat Forum Macbook screen repair recommendations?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Macbook screen repair recommendations?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Damaged screen on my Macbook. Apple quoting nearly £500. Anyone  recommend any repairers who are good but much cheaper?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What model and what damage?

LCD or just outer glass?

BadlyWiredDog

How brave are you? It’s possible to replace the glass yourself – at least on a MacBook Pro – but it needs the use of a heat-gun / hair-dryer and is notoriously fiddly. I found repair shops reluctant to replace the glass, probably for this reason, they prefer to simply swap the whole lid / LCD / glass / camera assembly as a unit which is ridiculously expensive. I phoned a bunch of places local to me and came to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth the cost.

Replacement glass no more than 20 quid. I have the part sat in a box, but I’ve got kind of used to having a single, not very obtrusive crack on my screen – mostly I can’t see it at all.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just the LCD. Glass is fine. Definitely not something I’d ever attempt!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Model?

loddrik
    Free Member

2015 13″ Pro Retina

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Well you can’t buy the display in the UK for under £300. And that’s for unit stripped from another Mac so grade A/B. The LCD isn’t seemingly available in the UK, China special.  Ouch.  I’d want £50 to swap out used assembly or £100 for just the display if you got a China special.  So you’d save £100 hassle though shipping it either way. House insurance cover it with Apple?

kcal

house insurance. probably best route.

Did that with spillage on my old MacBook. In the end it became an uneconomic to repair procedure, so got a new MacBook.

jeff

Am in same boat. Wary of paying £250+ on a salvage screen from Hong Kong and hoping it works and is the right model…

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Apple it is then 😩

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Macbook screen repair recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.